“Delicious food, but VERY loud”
Review of El Quijote

El Quijote
Ranked #1,616 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you are looking for a quiet dinner, don't bother. Loved the food and the wait staff was wonderfully attentive, but we could not carry on a conversation. The lobster is to die for and my son loved his crab cakes...the minute steak (10 oz) got rave reviews from our crowd too. If and when I go back, will ask to sit closer to the entrance - room in the back is for large groups,

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I go back to El Quijote when in NYC. Loved the tapas and sangria. One of the seafood dishes seemed tired but overall the food and service were excellent. Quirky, affordable, tasty and fun. Will return again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We always visit El Quijote while in New York City. It has a traditional atmosphere and service. The seafood is very fresh, the caldo gallego hearty and the rape in green sauce delicious. Prices are reasonable and the place is always noisy and crowded, but not overbearing.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've been a regular at El Quijote since the early 70's. The food is excellent, the service is friendly yet professional and the bar scene cannot be described. This place is far more than a great place to eat, drink & party (literally- they have a huge space with private rooms). This place is an important part of NY history. This place has been a spot for regulars in the film business, the arts, music, theatre for decades. It represents a brilliant part of New York that is dangerously fading with "new". Step back in time and visit an exciting bit of New York history. A great late nite spot!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I know, I know this is not your typical 5-star establishment but for us it is. We've been going here for years. Maybe even 25 years! Yikes, we're that old? It's our old-fashioned time warp fancy restaurant with a bar not to be missed. They don't make 'em like this anymore. We always go for special and what the heck occasions. Boring I know but my choices are a list of old favorites. The Paella is good but I go for the steak and lobster. It's a huge combo. Also had the steak Dulcinea that comes flaming to the table. Once even ordered (I think it was) a 48oz T-bone. My favorite entree is the Rack of Lamb though. And I might add here unlike almost every restaurant I've ever been to that advertises Rack Of Lamb on their menu here they actually give you the WHOLE rack! It's incredible. The grilled Veal chops are spectacularly huge and great too. I just get them plain without sauce. My wife often gets the Shrimp Camerones a la plancha (sp ?) which she loves. It's very garlicy. All entrees come with sides and salads too included which is a plus in NYC. They have great sangria and who can forget those waistcoated waiters bustling up to your table with a dessert cart at the end of the meal. Desserts are OK. If we get one it's usually a simple flan that we share. This is the real thing! Not to be missed in New York and everyone isn't wearing black. 5-stars always in our book. I do miss the old urinal in the men's room though that was 5 feet tall. This place truly is a taste of old new york without the pretension of little plates studded with foam like substances. Big Tip: don't order appetizers unless you are really hungry. I forgot to mention the front room red leather booths. We always try to snare one of those. Wait at the bar and have a martini! One of the bartenders is the owners son who told us that they now have a GLUTEN FREE MENU that you can ask for. Update: Just went last week again and changed my usual order to the grilled Veal Chops which were enormous, about 1 1/2" thick and two of them. Saw some other gal get them with brown sauce, I got them plain and probably will get them again. I forgot to say they have excellent wine and prices for NYC and that you can get a carafe of their house wine for (I think) 20 bucks which is excellent and a very unusual thing in New York City where they usually start their wine bottle prices at 35 dollars.