“Great ambiance but not outstanding”
Review of Pepolino

Pepolino
Ranked #311 of 14,593 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We heard a lot about this place before coming here. The food was good but not outstanding. Friendly service and a great romantic sidewalk. It was just a bit too expensive for what they offered.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We had walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and into Tribeca. Our friends recommended this place and at 11:00pm why not try it. We sat on the sidewalk. The service was perfect. An Italian head waiter, who took our order and supervised a half dozen servers who made sure our water glasses were never empty and everything arrived on time and perfectly presented. The food was as good as any fine restaurant in Rome. We stayed much longer than we had planned. Not cheap, but not expensive.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Very tiny restaurant in Tribeca. Has outdoor seating with two tables outside by the main door. We sat at the corner table outside upstairs. It was very private and quiet but was just a little cramped. However, we selected this table because of the privacy. Our waiter was extremely friendly and from Italy. We had a daily special salad of fresh green beans with cherry tomatoes, olives, and warm mushrooms that was extremely satisfying and fresh. The Insalata di finocchi or fennel with orange and olives was very good. We had their homemade ravioli stuffed with spinach and cheese with a tomato sauce. The ravioli were very tender and made to perfection. The grilled shrimp over a cannoli bean salad were just ok. The shrimp were not fresh but frozen and this was the only disappointment. It was not bad but not up to standard in my opinion. The fish of the day was a sword fish with a endive and olive salad. It was slightly breaded with bread crumbs and pan fried in olive oil.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Pepolino is a small restaurant in Tribeca that is owned by 2 guys from Italy. Both times we have been here we have been waited on by young men from Italy. They were both very personable & loved explaining items on the menu. You feel as if you have been transported to Florence when dining here. The tomato flan they bring to the table is delicious on the focaccia. So garlicky and fresh tasting. The tomato soup - phenomenal. As good as the tomato soup I had in one of the hill towns in Italy where the chef made this soup for the Pope! I ate it with a fork. We sampled a few pasta dishes - the pasta was fresh and delicious topped with a veal ragu and the other with a tomato sauce. Both very good. The best thing of the night was a pork special that had been baked for 24 hours & stuffed with herbs - ummm sooo good - I wish I lived in NYC so I could go back. In fact our next visit I will book this restaurant more than once - even with all the amazing choices in NY City! We love you Pepolino and will be back next summer.

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I had a salad and a pasta dish. Most of their pasta are home made except for one. They cared enough to let me know which one. It was a nice summer day and I sat outside by the sidewalk. Very nice and quaint. Food came fast and was very nice. Service was friendly and attentive with good recommendations. Will go back again!