“What a Surprise!!”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have to admit when I walked in the door I wasn't expecting much. It's a bit small and not much to look at. Don't get me wrong it's not ugly, it's just average. The hotel concierge suggested it so we tried it. We had a party of six with no reservation which included two small children. What a shock. We were seated immediately. Four entres came in less than 15 mins they were all excellent. I had the warm beef carpaccio hence only four entres. The waiter suggested a wine. What a pairing. They really know what they're talking about. The kids had a seafood pasta which they hammered and my kids are as picky as they come. The kitchen made sure that the food was not too hot for the kids. Very kind and thoughtful. My wife had a spinach pasta dish with seafood which was excellent. Not too pricey either.

1  Thank bryan k
There are newer reviews for Pepolino

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pepolino is one of the most "authentic" Italian restaurants (outside of Italy), with the freshest tastiest pastas, and very personable Italian staff. The food never disappoints and the experience is truly all-italian!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pepolino's is a small Italian restaurant at the foot of the Avenue of the Americas- tucked in on a small side road, it almost feels like many of the restaurants in Italy on bustling streets. The service is always welcoming and prompt, and the food always outstanding, from the homemade pastas to inventive secondi. Several of our party had the baby veal shank special, presented beautifully standing straight up and falling off the bone. I chose the cod in livernese sauce, a mediterranean style red sauce with olives and spices. Cooked perfectly, the cod fell apart, creating a bit of a fish stew that seethed with flavor in every bite. I started with the pappardelle with a veal ragu, always a standout and crowd favorite. The cheesecake was so light and airy it almost resembled a mousse, but was incredibly flavorful. Not cheap, but a great choice for greatd, service and atmosphere.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We choose Pepolino's due to it's proximity to our meeting and our hotel. We were having a regional holiday party and needed a good venue we could all enjoy. They were rated the high, so we took the chance and reserved a table for 12. As time went on, more people wanted to join us and I kept calling to add seats finally up to 20. Each time I called, I felt I knew the staff better as they were friendly and accommodating. Half of me grew suspicious that they had the extra room for us, but I still had a good feeling. The night came and a number of us ended up going to the restaurant almost an hour early. Some went upstairs to the bar area and some of us took our seats at the table that was reserved for us. Many New York restaurants would not accommodate us like this, especially in such a warm and welcoming way. Again, we felt like family and we started ordering drinks, wine, and some appetizers. People eventually came down and we ordered our main courses. Let me say that to a person, everyone thanked me for choosing such a good restaurant and everyone LOVED their meals. Mine was spectacular - black pasta with oil, artichokes, and calamari. Succulent!! Atmosphere, the staff, and the food were all perfect! I will go back here every time I have a chance.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at this restaurant a year ago, but a recent visit was a disappointment. The setting is casual and very nice, and the service is excellent, but this time the food was only average, at best. Perhaps it was our fault...we spent a long time on our appetizers, and when our pasta main courses came they were overcooked and gummy. But a good restaurant wouldn't have cooked our main courses and then let them sit under a heat lamp for 15 minutes, which is what i suspect happened. The menu is very interesting and there is a very good wine list, but if you are not wedded to Tribeca you can get pretty much the same ambiance, menu and wine list with much better food at Spiga on the Upper West Side. Interestingly enough this seems to be a restaurant that attracts single diners. We saw four while we were there. The restaurant seems to go out of its way to be welcoming to people who are on their own and don't want to socialize, but would just like to have a quiet dinner while reading a book!