“Excellent Italian lunch for a summer afternoon in Tribeca”
Review of Pepolino

Pepolino
Ranked #264 of 14,026 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although New York City is famous for "sleb chef" culture, there are still some excellent finds among the premium class that do very well at walk-ins. Pepolino, at lunch, is an excellent find for a walk-in. The sparkling water was very welcome, as was the tomato-based mousse that accompanied the bread. I had the mussels for an appetizer; the "no shells" serving was a surprise but the butter and garlic sauce was still very nice. The spaghettini with tomato-and-red-pepper sauce had the right texture and was perfectly seasoned. I sometimes think New York dining can be a rewarding experience if you just explore on your own, without reference to the foodie and critic ravings; Pepolino validates that thought.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The homemade pasta is always special, as are the antipasti. I had the risotto special, with leeks and scallops, and it was just fabulous! Dessert was perfect of course - had the ricotta cheesecake, which I just can never resist. Brought a friend who owns the best Italian restaurant in Aruba, and he just loved Pepolino.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My girlfriend a I visited this restaurant on 25th May. The service, food and atmosphere could not be faulted. We'd arrived from the UK last the previous night so this was our 1st meal out in the city. We both had a lovely evening.

Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food was delicious. I do not think I'll ever go back to Mulberry Street! The pasta is home made. For our first course, my husband and I shared Tagliatelle al cinghiale (home made tagliatelle with wild boar ragu). As our main course we both had the Tagliata di manzo (seared sliced Angus steak with garlic & rosemary served with potato, onions & pepper). Wow! what a meal. Felt I was back in Florence. The wine list had a great selection. Service was very good. Our waiter was very helpful. He was knowledgeable about the chef's preparations and wine paring for the foods selected. We'll return and hope you'll find your way to 281 W. Broadway.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Enjoyed dinner with my husband here after my friend suggested it. It did not disappoint. The place is very charming, the service was great -- the waiter was very helpful and passionate -- and the food, it was simply delicious. I'd go back in a heartbeat.