“Feels so good it might be a sin”
Review of Cones

Cones
Ranked #106 of 453 Dessert in New York City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed August 7, 2012

It was hot and my wife was shopping on Bleecker. I was bored. Bored and hot. As she went to look at something of no interest to me, I saw Cones across the street, mocking me with its air conditioning and promise of frozen confections and slipped inside.

I ordered a cone of tutti frutti mascarpone ice cream and felt like I had just been entrusted with the eternal secret to happiness. As I walked down Bleecker and ate my ice cream, I couldn't believe the sheer number of people who were smiling but not eating this ice cream. They only thought they knew happiness.

As my wife reappropriated the cone, we found ourselves back in Cones within minutes, ordering another and sampling the various flavors.

Corn ice cream? It's surprisingly good.

Jack Daniels Ice Cream? The only ice cream that costs $1 to sample and double the price to buy, you can tell it is made with premium ingredients (i.e., whiskey). The only problem is that, unlike cooked sauces containing spirits, the alcohol is not burned off in the process.

We got drunk on ice cream.

We're going back. I'm surprised we left.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Nothing else beats it in the city. It's pricey and cash-only, but totally worth it. It's fun to try some of the unique flavors such as corn and pumpkin but the classics are delicious as well. My favorite is the pistachio. Pear sorbet is great and refreshing on a hot summer day.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

I love this ice cream place. First of all, the owner is or was from Argentina, not sure about that but I am sure they have the Argentinian recipe and the quality of the ice cream and the variety is huge!!!
It's a little bit price comparing with another places but it's absolutely worth it!! YUMMY!!!

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Not bad, nothing spectacular. Probably above- average with a decent selection of flavors.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

If you want a break from walking around the Village, stop in at Cones. The outside is fairly nondescript but do not let that dissuade you. When you walk inside on your left is a selection of ice creams, then a case showing ice cream cakes and then another cooler of more ice creams. Each one is labeled as to what they are. There is also a large readable sign on the wall. Just go up to the counter to order. After you receive your order you will pay at the cash register at the opposite end of the counter.
If you are unsure of a certain flavor, ask for a sample. They are very happy to do so and to suggest flavors. I tried the green ice tea and found it a bit strong for my tastes, even tho the consistency was smooth and I love drinking green tea. What I ended up with instead was one scoop of the zabayone - based on wine. My hubby got a scoop of white chocolate on top of a scoop of mango sorbet - that was actually a really good combo if you like sweet. You can select cups or waffle cones or regular cones. Also, you can go with 1 or 2 or 3 scoops.
This not cheap ice cream. We paid ten dollars for the two of us but we found it well worth it. It was creamy and cold and very, very flavorful. This is unlike ice cream you buy in containers at the grocery store which is sort of bland in comparison. I understand that Cones is handmade with natural fresh ingredients which I believe shines through.
There are just a few tables and chairs available and the store is sort of narrow. The only other negative is no restroom facility.