“Average Food at Above Average Prices”
Review of Mas

Mas
Reserve with OpenTable
Mas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,311 of 14,394 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Bedford Street and Varick Street
Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately three blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is one block from the restaurant.
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I enjoy farm-to-table cuisine. So, we were thrilled to score a reservation for Christmas Eve dinner at Mas.
The decor inside the restaurant is amazing. Very comfortable seating is available for couples. There are larger tables for groups, etc.
Unlike some some other reviewers, we found the serving staff were friendly - albeit slow. The food, however, is another story. Even though most of the dishes in our four course prix-fixe meal had great flavor, most dishes came out too cold. It wasn't inedible. But we expected more than just 'edible' for a $120.00 prix-fixe meal. If you're looking for a good farm-to-table experience and you're willing to pay a premium for that experience, Try Blue Hill or Volt (in Maryland).

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Fantastic dining experience. Can't understand how a reviewer called the service slow, as eating here should be a slow dining experience, to relax, savor the food, and enjoy the company. We have eaten in Mobil 5 star restaurants, and for us this is truly a five star experience. Fantastic food (not big portions though, for those that want such), incredible service, and well worth the expense for special occasions. This easily is the best place we have dined in NYC.

4  Thank 76,543
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Was here for romantic dinner, but it's so loud and people were so close together (also neighborhing table was quite boisterous) it wouldn't really be considered 'romantic' except for the pretty decor and soft lighting.
We had an amazing starter:
-shrimp pancake sort of thing with frisee. HIGHLY recommended. highlight of the night.
-we both had the sea bass iwth root vegetables, very nice.
-I had lobster (a little too much squid ink in my opinion but very flavorful, if a little salty), DH had ?I think duck. He liked it.
Too full for much dessert but we had some salted caramel ice cream anyway. yum, but really rich.
highlights for us were the appetizer/entree and I had this FANTASTIC Bandol rose. MUST. HAVE.
Servers were charming and delightful (?I think his name began wtih an "A" and he was hilarious). I'd come back here just for the service and the wine!
Good choice for foodies, but not as much for a quiet romantic dinner.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went to MAS Farmhouse in mid Novemeber with a group of friends. We had early reservations to beat the trendy NYC late night eaters. Once our group arrived we were seated promptly in the back dining room. I had a glass of wine at the bar which was carried by the hostess on a silver tray to our table.

The service was impeccable, The placement and removal of plates was well coreographed by the staff. The only negative would be that they we not very friendly, efficient and orchestrated but not friendly.

The food was amazing. We ordered separate appetizers, entrees and desserts off the menu, no one opted for the tasting menu. We had 3 bottles of wine, which were wonderful but you have to expect to pay around $100 per bottle. There were much more expensive choices but not many under $100-$150 range.

The space is really well done and inviting. We had looked in the window earlier in the day and were excited for the upscale yet rustic decor. Great dining experience I would definitely would recommend MAS and am looking forward to trying MAS Grille.

I agree that the desserts were not overly sweet but I prefer that. There was incredible flavor and texture, the Quince Confit was amazing.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Loved the location in the West Village and had high hopes. The menu is fantastic and the wine list very French. I had a great Manhattan as a cocktail. My wife doesn't really like French wines - prefers Calif, but nothing by the glass from CA. I had the caviar as an appetizer and it was fantastic, but my main course - lamb was under cooked and a little hard to chew. We skipped dessert. Reservations were kind of a mystery. We tried to book for 8pm but were told for weeks that nothing was available. The, day of our night in NYC, we booked an 8pm table on Open Table no problem. We arrived and the restaurant was virtually empty. It didn't fill up until after 10.

the service was outstanding and our waitress helped us with the menu and provided multiple wine tastings for my wife who just couldn't get what she wanted despite the best efforts of the waitress.

Fun evening, but not the best.

1  Thank glbtrvler