“best octopus i've had!”
Review of Periyali

Periyali
Reserve with OpenTable
Periyali is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,042 of 14,026 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Between 5th & 6th Ave
Transit: 1,F,V,N,R,4,6 trains
Description: A fine dining restaurant in NYC, Periyali showcases elegant Greek cuisine and authentic specialities. Exotic cocktails, Greek wine and Greek spirits feature on the tempting drinks list. Renowned as one of the most famous Greek restaurants in Manhattan, Periyali redefines Greek cuisine with signature dishes like pan fried calf's liver, red wine marinated octopus or stewed rabbit.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

we went here on a whim one night when we were in the area. i'm greek so i'm pretty judgemental when it comes to greek restaurants. the octopus here was so so so good! i would go back here just for the octopus. my main dish was a lamb dish that didn't leave a real impression...but that octopus..awesome!

1  Thank dchrysan

Reviewed August 24, 2012

It was great the first time and still going strong. Great food, service and ambiance. Everything in a Greek restaurant. Will keep coming back.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

For some reason I have had a tough time finding a great Greek spot in the city! We loved our experience at Periyali. We shared a bunch of things and everything was delicious. Our server made excellent recommendations and the staff was attentive and friendly. I found our evening here very relaxing in a city that can be hectic. Periyali was an escape! I will definitey be back.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

What an oasis in a very bustling city. Tastefully decorated in every way. Menu choices impeccable. Staff very friendly and helpful. Could have gone back night after night!
My lamb was delicious as was my husbands chicken souvlaki.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Nostalgia for living in Greece & visiting Periyali many years ago brought us back, but it was a bust. I remembered their grilled octopus being better than anything I'd ever found in 5 years in the Greek islands, and it was still exquisite.
The fish was overpowered by its caper stuffing, the beans were like something dumped out of a can (and had no proper business with their accompanying sauce), the other dishes were ordinary & forgettable.
But the worst was the service. The waiter was annoyed by our existence. His bad Greek attitude was in sharp contrast to the bus staff (who were all oriental).
Far worse than the miserable waiter was the maitre'd. On the way out, after our overpriced mediocre food, there was no thank you, no 'please come again,' no acknowledgement whatsoever. Next to their business cards stood a tray of small traditional Greek cookies. Seeing one of my favorites, I picked one up. He snapped, 'No, only for display.'
We'll never go back. No wonder the place was practically empty.
Want good traditional Greek dishes? Look up the restaurant Ethos. We didn't have time to eat there, but just looking in the window we were sure it would have been better than Periyali.