“Trying and succeeding”

Viceroy Central Park New York
Ranked #209 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I've stayed a few times since this hotel has opened on 57th street. It is new and still coming together. The rooms are very small but efficient and decorated very nicely. The beds are extremely comfortable and the staff is very accommodating.
Each time I stayed there, there has been a very minor problem in the room - chains breaking, lamp cords breaking, etc. If there is ever any problem, the staff will fix on the spot and are very gracious. I think it's a matter of getting seasoned.
There is a coffee machine in the room but not clear if there is a charge. The iron really can't be used because there is no room to unfold the ironing board. There seems to be a lot of construction still - the restaurant not connected to the hotel by a working door. Last stay there was fire alarm testing - was trying to do work and on the phone but was difficult. There is a very cool phone by the bed that controls everything I'm sure just don't know how to use it.
Overall, I like it and the rates are competitive. Looking forward to having all the kinks worked out but worth trying it.

Room Tip: High floor with a long hallway
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Eric R,

Thank you taking the time to write a review about your recent stays at Viceroy New York .

I appreciate your balanced review and approach - there are still some issues that we are resolving after having opened a few months ago which we are steadily working our way through .I am pleased that our team have reacted well to solving these for you when they have occurred.

The Fire Alarm test that you heard was connected to the commissioning of the system for the 'The Roof' bar that opened on the 29th floor last week - our apologies for the disturbance that this caused to you. This is a wonderful new addition to the property and I hope that you get the opportunity to visit it on an another occasion.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future , please do reach out to me personally to see if I can assist with a future stay.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed at the Viceroy for 5 nights during February for work. The staff are welcoming the doormen were super polite, always smiling and up for a chat. The hotel smells lovely. I'm not sure what the fragrance is but it hits you as soon as you enter the lobby. If I remember correctly, I was in a standard room. It was really comfortable. The bed was great, really wide. Decor is nice. They provide coffee/tea making facilities which was GREAT! After a cold walk back from the hotel, it was nice to know that I could have a cuppa in bed! Coffee/tea facilities are that common in Midtown hotels. The one negative comment I do have is that the bathroom was very cold. The temperature outside was averaging -8 Celsius and my room was situated at the end of the building so I had an exterior wall. The walls and marble floor got very cold. I was disappointed there was no under floor heating. Because there was no door to the bathroom, it was hard to heat up the room with steam. That's my only negative. I'd definitely stay again as it was close to my place of work. Due to bad weather, my flight home was cancelled and the hotel receptionist didn't hesitate to offer me a complimentary late check out which I appreciated very much.

Room Tip: In the winter, don't stay in a room at the end of the building. The bathroom was cold.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Jammietr,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Viceroy New York.

We were pleased that you have mentioned so many of the details that our guests appreciate when stay with us - like the illy Coffee machines .

I am also pleased that you liked our Scent - we receive many compliments about our curated scent from our guests.

I am disappointed to hear about the cold in your bathroom and rest assured that this is something that we will investigate so that we find a suitable solution.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The rooms are typical NYC city small but very well designed and visually pleasant. There is free wifi, bottled water and expresso (Illy) in the room. TV and sound system are excellent and there is a Droid that serves as a clock plus a connection to the internet if you happen not to have your computer, tablet or phone with you. The staff are charming and friendly. The bathroom is nice with a large shower with a rain type shower head. The towels are thick and fluffy. We did not use the gym or pool but my cousins did and said they were both very nice. The location is terrific of course. One block from Carnegie hall and Central Park.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Daer Valina D,

We were delighted to receive your review about your experience at Viceroy New York.

We were pleased that you enjoyed so many of the elements that the rooms at Viceroy New York offer .

We would also like to mention to other travelers the Complimentary Wifi, Illy Coffee Machine and Beats by Dr Dre speaker where you can listen to your personal music selection from your phone over Bluetooth from a quality speaker.

Thank you for mentioning our location which of course is a great plus for so many travelers within easy reach of all the sights in Manhattan and convenient to so much of the extensive Subway network.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

If location is everything, this is an almost perfect hotel--close to theaters, the opera, central park and art museums, everything we're interested in. The decor is very stylish and we didn't think the room layout was as strange as others have. Noise is a big issue, however, since there is virtually no soundproofing between rooms that have (locked) doors connecting them. If people are talking in the room next to you, they might as well be in your room. Be sure to bring your earplugs. Also, we had a "park view" room that had sort of a view of the tops of trees between buildings and around something that looked like a water tower. This view (which is shown in the hotel site's Photo Gallery) should probably be called a "partial" park view.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CastAColdEye

Dear Castacoldeye,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about Viceroy New York and share your experiences with other travelers looking for a Hotel to stay in with a unenviable location and a great selection of Room Amenities.

Our Park view rooms start at the 19th floor and while they do not have uninterrupted views they do offer a significant park view and the Manhattan skyline at a very competitive rate.

I am disappointed that you were disturbed by the noise from a neighboring guests room and rest assured that this is a problem that we are seeking to resolve.

We do hope that you will consider Viceroy New York on a future visit to the City .

Reviewed March 1, 2014

The room was well appointed, great bathroom with nice amenities. Yes, the room was small but most boutique hotels in NYC are similar. But I was surprised by the lack of assistance by the bell staff (I had to carry my own bags in from the very busy street entrance on 57th St.) The bellmen stood inside the hotel doors, not out on the street, and seemed genuinely surprised that I wanted to enter the doors. The same unusual attitude happened the other two times I entered later that day. Is it because I am the oldest-ever person to stay in the hotel?
Also, there is bad construction on 57th St. so my room on that side of the hotel was quite noisy, even at 11PM on a weekend. Certainly not the hotel's fault but good to note for those who prefer a quiet night - ask for a room in back of the hotel.
Very small lobby.

Room Tip: For quieter sleep, ask for room in back of the hotel if there is still construction on 57th Street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Cincytravelqueen

Dear Cincytravelqueen,

Thank you for your review of Viceroy New York .

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room and the amenities that we offer like Complimentary wifi,Illy Coffee Machine, and the Beats by Dr Dre speaker where you can listen to your own music selection over your phone via Bluetooth.

I am disappointed to read that you did not have a positive experience on arrival. It is of course our aim to meet all guests when we recognize that they are checking in and assist them with their belongings, I am sorry that this did not happen in your case.

I do hope that you may consider Viceroy New York on a future visit to the City.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our four day visit to NYC over the Valentine's Day weekend was made complete with our stay at the Viceroy Hotel. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The doormen always greeted us with a smile and assistance. The bar and restaurant was always humming with excitement and the food was excellent. We were very pleased with our room set up and service. We were very happy with how quite our room was! A very positive experience. We were also happy with the price.
The hotel's location near easy subway access, Carnegie Hall and a short walk to Central Park came into play was we searched for a hotel as well.

We will stay at the Viceroy upon our next visit to the great city.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Dave G,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Viceroy New York over Valentine's weekend.

We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the elements that make up the experience of staying at Viceroy New York - Kingside our busy restaurant and Bar as well as the noise free environment of your room.

I will certainly pass on your positive remarks to our team whom you describe as friendly and helpful.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The hotel is in the most amazing location, just off fifth avenue and a tiny walk from Central Park. The staff are absolutely delightful and helpful in anyway they can. The rooms have everything in them and the service is fantastic,

• Stayed: February 2014
GDenneny, General Manager at Viceroy Central Park New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear CatieGilchrist1122,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Viceroy New York .

We were delighted to hear that you had a 'fantastic' stay.

We will pass your comments on to our team and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.