“Good Lunch at Low Cost”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a satisfying lunch for two for less than twenty dollars. I forgot to order my squid dish at the high spice level that I typically prefer in Asian dishes, but our server brought a side of hot sauce that was considerably better than what comes out of most jars. The food was very good, if not spectacular. Credit cards are not accepted.

One patron at an adjacent table complained about the noise level, but I didn't find it above the norm for NYC (which is generally much higher than what I would consider ideal). At the time we were there, this small space was not filled to capacity, but at peak hours the background noise would undoubtedly increase.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I love, love, love this restaurant. It's small and charming and slightly eclectic. The food is great and the prices right. Cash only - so make sure to hit the ATM first. The service is first rate and fun and you won't be disappointed. Everytime we have guests in NYC, we go here and everyone always raves about it. It gets a little noisy and busy but the service is fast so tables turn over quickly. one of my favorite NYC restaurants!!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a friend who lives in the neighborhood. Without the recommendation we would never have found it. The restaurant is small and cozy. Many lanterns and antique furniture provide an inviting atmosphere. We were all delighted with our meals. I visited this restaurant with my mother and my daughter. My daughter is an adventurous eater. I do not think most children would find it easy to order at this restaurant. The menu has wonderful choices and everything was prepared perfectly. The prices are very reasonable for NYC. Eat at Cafe Asean, you will not be disappointed!!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great place to go during warmer weather where you can sit outside under the "terrace/patio." It has a unpretentious shabby chic appeal. It is very unpretentious, home-style southeast Asian food. There was no fancy food presentation and meager place settings. I had the Kari Kapitan (coconut curry chickent), which was excellent. I was hoping for more vegetables, but it was still excellent. My boyfriend had the Pai-Koot (braised pork spare ribs). They were very reasonably priced especially given the location. The problem is that they are a cash only restaurant. So stop at the ATM before you stop in.

1  Thank JSylvia707
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Good to very good Malaysian food. Nice garden. Small and a little cramped. Very good service. No credit cards so be forewarned.

1  Thank DSM14