“Terrible experience, arrogant and insulting waiters”
Review of Babbo

Babbo
Reserve with OpenTable
Babbo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #456 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: Between 6th Avenue and MacDougal Street
Transit: West 4th street subway station (8th street/Waverly Place exit): A,C,E,B,D,F and M trains. We recommend traveling at the back of the train if coming from uptown, the front of the train if coming from downtown, to find the closest exit at the station.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Babbo forgets that it is located in NYC, where options for fine dining abound. My recent experience there guarantees that I will never go back to the restaurant again. From Maitre D' to coat check, the staff was rude and our waiter was inexcusably arrogant. As a strict vegetarian I asked our waiter to recommend dishes without meat and he choose the goat cheese gnocchi for us. Given the poor lighting I started eating it and realized mid way through that the dish had various types of meats, etc. After calling over the waiter he responds, "Well we don't get that many vegetarians here." First, they have a vegetarian tasting menu. Second, it's New York and I am not the only vegetarian in the city. And third, that's not an excuse anywhere - the appropriate response would have been "we're so sorry." From there, the experience got worse and worse and they ended up charging me for the meat dish anyway. Save your money, go anywhere else.

7  Thank ShankarP

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I ate at Babbo for my birthday last weekend. We made reservations over the internet for an early lunch on a Saturday. I could have not been more pleased with the experience. Although the tables are close, you felt like you were the only ones being served. The atmosphere of the restaurant is wonderful. I read an earlier review complaining about the "rock" music but we listened to nothing but big band type music and it was strictly background. All of the staff were very professional and friendly.
We decided to try the lunch tasting menu with wine. We were not as familiar with some of the items but each was a wonderful, new experience. The marinated eggplant was very good with the pickled chilies kick. The orecchiette with broccoli pesto was chewy and good. The grilled pork loin was cooked to perfection with the sweet braised fennel adding a nice touch. My wife told the waiter that it was my birthday and I was presented a very nice birthday dessert (see my photo). The wines served with each course were excellent.
All in all, I have never paid that much for a meal but in this instance, it was worth every penny. I am looking forward to my next trip to New York and another visit to Babbo.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We came late and without reservation, so we were lucky to get a table.... a tiny little one by the door where you can squeeze in if you try hard. They presented it though as if it was a private chamber in the Buckingham Palace. Exceptionally rude maître d' told us not to approach the table until it's all set up and he allows us to sit down. One of the guys in our party didn't want to check in his coat (apparently they have a mandatory coat check!) because he is a smoker and planned to go on the street during the dinner, and it was a comic watching him fight with the maître d' who would absolutely not allow him to leave his coat on his chair. Finally my friend put it under the table. The music was loud and unpleasant, the table small, the waiters arrogant and dry, overall not a great impression. NYC city has too many wonderful options. The food was tasty and the presentation was nice, the cocktails good quality too. But all at all not worth it for the treatment - too much stress and too hectic. Would not recommend it.

5  Thank JOS9475
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The music is so load at this place, and the choice geared more to a college dorm party in 1990 than a very expensive restaurant, that we found it hard to enjoy the food and difficult to talk. Repeated request to turn the music down were answered by "Mario likes it that way." The food was OK and on its own would have been acceptable, but the place now seems like a Times Square clip joint.

3  Thank NewYorker3333333
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Came here during the blizzard last week and felt the warmth as soon as we entered. The food was amazing! Three words Beef Cheek Ravioli! Buttery goodness. The beet farotto was amazing. My husband enjoyed the crispy striped sea bass with caponat and it was delicious! I had the espresso gelato for dessert and couldn't have been more pleased! The sommelier helped us pick out an incredible wine and was kind enough to ask what flavors we enjoyed as well as what range we'd be comfortable in. We were never rushed and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The only thing that annoyed me somewhat was that the bread crumbs were never tidyed up until the dessert course. It was a minor detail in the grand scheme. Babbo is a hip romantic place to enjoy a warm and inviting meal. The portions were fair and prices reasonable.