“Great traditional food from the South East of France”
Review of Gascogne - CLOSED

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Paris, France
“Great traditional food from the South East of France”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We were 2 (1 French + 1 American) and ordered the escaoutoun and the terrine landaise, then a faux-fillet and a cassoulet and for dessert, sorbet and a crème brûlée.

The hors d'oeuvre portions were small and this could be disappointing for Americans but everything was really tasty and I particularly appreciated the mushrooms accompanying the escaoutoun.

The faux-fillet was tender and cooked the way I like (rare) and the béarnaise sauce was fresh and tasty. The cassoulet was copious with duck (or goose?) meat, pork sausage and white beans. It had been covered with bread crumbs and grilled in the oven which is not the usual way to serve it but it turned out to be really good. Also, compared to the usual recipe, it did not come with as much sauce and confit fat as can be served in France but at the end, it was as tasty and it was lighter and easier to digest.

I've often been disappointed with crème brûlée served in the US but not this time. The top was well caramelized and crusty (which is a good sign) and it was simply delicious.

We wanted to order whine but they had run out of 3 different bottles. Other reviewers have mentioned that and I find this disappointing for a French restaurant in NY. We ended up with with a glass of Riesling (which is a wine I usually like a lot).

The owner and most of the waiters are French which adds some charm (this is what I would expect from a French restaurant) but the restaurant is relatively small and quickly becomes crowded. It can be tricky to get to your chair/table without disturbing other customers.

Overall, it was a good evening and a great way for Americans to discover French cuisine (and for expats to feel at home).

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Steffan_FR

Miami Beach, FL
“Consistently good French cuisine”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've dined at Gascogne many times during the last four years and have never been disappointed by the quality of the food. On occasion, the service might have been a little better and the ambiance less noisy, but overall the experience is worthwhile. Prices are reasonably moderate for NYC.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank quintic
“Overpriced and mediocre.”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I have dined here three times and am wondering why at this point. This most recent visit, I was immensely disappointed by food that was lacklustre and vastly overpriced. My escargot had little flavour and my entre (a filet of "shell steak") was also lacking flavour and was comparable to a steak from Country Buffet. For a restaurant w/ such potential, I have been burned twice...my own fault! With all of the other restaurant options in Chelsea, I regret wasting time and money at Gascogne.

Yorktown Heights, New York
“"Bon Appetit"”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I have always had a wonderful meal at Gascogne. My first visit goes back 10 years ago and I frequent this charmingly seductive restaurant 2 or 3 times a year when attending performances at the nearby Joyce Theater.
The ambiance is warm and invitiing and the food very good. The house wine is excellent for the cost. I have brought family and friends and we have never, ever been disappointed. And our service, with the exception of one instance when they were short-staffed due to an outside party - and even then was not terrible, just not as attentive, has always been attentive, friendly, and professional. In fact, I believe that I have had the same waiter for the past several years. I whole-heartedly recommend Gascogne for both their dinner and brunch services.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Kathleen Y
North Conway, New Hampshire
“Outdoor Seating @ Summer's End”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Enjoyed this restaurant. I specifically wanted French food and we looked up bistros so as not to spend as much as a fine dining place. Gascogne came highly recommended on other foodie sites. Able to get a reservation for 8:30p on a Friday evening and were seated promptly upon a;rrival in their lovely mews-style yard behind the brownstone in which they reside.

I had a garlicky escargot appetizer, duck confit entree & a bottle of delicious wine. My husband had the roast chicken. It was all perfectly prepared an we loved it.

• Visited September 2011