“Quiet place, Good Indian Food”
Review of Surya

Surya
Ranked #6,973 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This restaurant has very nice Indian Food, although it has become an extremely quiet place. If you are looking for a trendy, hip and crowded spot, this is not the place. If what matters for you is fine indian food, then Surya is the place to go.

1  Thank 4everNYC
There are newer reviews for Surya

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Our concierge made a reservation for us as a live jazz/dinner place in Greenwich village but the menu didn't look great. We checked out the place and it wasn't the vibe we were going for. We wanted to enjoy a place as if we lived there...a cute local place. By chance we discovered Surya. I really haven't eaten Indian much at all for whatever reason, but we decided to go for it. It was busy so we sat at the bar which can be really fun in a new place as you can see all the action. It's a casual neighborhood place that was busy which is always a good sign. The naan was fabulous as was the chicken with almond and saffron cream sauce I had. My husband had the goat, the owners favorite and thoroughly enjoyed it. I prefer to experience a new place from the perspective of one who lives there as opposed to always being a tourist. This was thoroughly enjoyable!! We then walked a few more blocks and enjoyed one of the many "20 under $20" bottles of wine at Minerva. A great Saturday night in NYC! Now I can say that I know a great little Indian place in the village. :)

Reviewed September 14, 2011

I love the food here. The restaurant has what could possibly be called a secret garden in the back which is an absolute treat in NYC. The food is a bit pricey but well worth it. The service is great but not particularly friendly. Attentive but not super friendly.
I would recommend Surya to anyone looking for a clean Indian restaurant with delicious food.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We had crab cake and veg samosa appetizers. Crab cake had wondeful blend of spices and pleasing, unusual flavors. Samosa could have used a touch of hotness, but was still delicious. Main dish was grouper in a wonderful spicy sauce (Chennai, maybe?) Water glasses were too small for my teenaged son. Service was attentive but unobtrusive, atmosphere was calm and lovely with white table cloths. Waiters wear great saffron collored shirts.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2010

so spicy but really good!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook