“Maybe better for delivery”
Review of Baluchi's Upper East Side - CLOSED

Baluchi's Upper East Side
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Description: Shaan – The Restaurant of India Authentic Indian Food in a beautiful environment with ethnic decor.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The food was great. Large portions and reasonable prices. The in-restaurant experience wasn't great. For example there is a bright light outside the door that was shining directly on our faces... Not a big deal, but not ideal. It is also very small and wouldn't accommodate more than 10-12 people. But the food is worth it! So order delivery and enjoy.

7  Thank Bigfoot1981
There are newer reviews for Baluchi's Upper East Side

Reviewed January 23, 2010

Baluchi's Midtown East provides Indian and Pakistani foods in a relaxing atmosphere with dark wood interior, mirrors in beautiful frames, and blown glass lamps hanging from the ceiling in blues, reds, and greens. It's very clean, inviting and a great place to lunch. The noise level is medium--quite doable for folks young & old who want to converse rather than shout over music. I did not notice any music and was able to focus on my lunch companion. That's not to say there wasn't any music, just that if it was there I didn't notice it, and it didn't overwhelm the meal--as it shouldn't!

My friend and I wanted Indian food very much and had gone for the $15.95 prix fixe menu, which we saw online. When we arrived, we were delighted to find out that the $15.95 prix fixe was apparently for Take Out only, and everything on the menu was 50% off. Everything, except drinks. So a $13.95 dish of chicken tikka was $7.00; nan that was usually $3.95 a la carte was $2; chana saag at $12.99 was $6.50. What a bargain!

The waiter was very attentive and graciously answered our questions. Although it was starting to get a bit busy at 1:00 p.m. he was patient with us, and I very much appreciate that. You like to be treated well when it's busy in the office and you need to escape for an hour. This was just the ticket!

We were very well attended to, except for the young woman who brought our food to the table. She apparently was not a waitress and/or had not been trained. She plopped down my companion's dish in my place, without asking to whom it should go, and when I said, "That's goes over there," gesturing, she either didn't hear me, didn't understand English, or simply ignored me. We had to rearrange everything on the table. She was a very unhappy camper, and I don't think she's long for that job.

The chicken tikka was the most succulent I have ever had. I was surprised, because usually it's too dry. Only three medium-sized pieces came on the plate, but my friend had ordered a salad on the side so that was okay for her. We were both delighted at its juiciness. The side salad was lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and medium-sized. Nothing to brag about. For some reason I have never seen a good old fashioned green salad in an Indian restaurant. But my friend seemed to enjoy her rabbit food.

I loved the chana saag. It arrived in a small, delightful bowl with what seemed to be carved or heavily stamped brass handles. So much nicer than a regular old boring dish. These little touches add to the warm atmosphere and you are somewhat transported from noisy midtown to another place in time. The saag was neither too spicy nor bland, but just right. There were new piquant flavors in it that I've not experienced previously. That was a very nice surprise.

My friend ordered nan (light, delicious, toasted just the correct amount) and raita (Indian yoghurt sauce with cucumber--it was lighter and not as thick as Greek tzatziki, but very similar). The raita was perfect to cool down the spiciness of the chana saag (although not necessary, it was a sweet complement and we both enjoyed it very much).

We saw at least 5 diners of at this easygoing restaurant of 50 seats or so who were either Indian or Pakistani, and that told me it had to be good.

If you have a yen for it this is definitely good. The waiters are helpful. And they will deliver! So do check them out. We'll be going back again soon.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2008

The food was very good (lamb sagawala) and price great, but that's about it. Small and cramped and a little dingy... Not a place to impress any one.. but good and quick food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook