“Central to all main attractions”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
Ranked #109 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Buderim
“Central to all main attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. We were situated on 9th floor in a well appointed room. It was clean,tidy and the queen size bed was very comfortable. Hotel was within walking distance of all main attractions. The staff were friendly. There was a safe and refrigerator in the room & A/c. Only negative, could hear sirens throughout night, not sound proofed windows. Would still recommend to others.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Graham59Buderim,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am glad to hear that our cleanliness, location and staff service met your expectations. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the ambient noise and windows. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Thank you for the great review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

My room was directly under the rooftop nightclub, but alas, it was the staff of the Courtyard that made my stay fantastic. I checked in early and was told the only early room available was on the 17th Floor, directly under the nightclub. I thought, what the heck, and truth be told, it wasn't that bad. Think club white noise. If that sort of thing bothers you, my guess is they would accomodate. Here were the fantastic things. Location is perfect. There is a subway station right there. Free internet - always a bonus. Warm and funny desk clerks. Free in-room coffee. Clean, nice, big beds. Commendable cable. And good views...plus it was affordable.

Room Tip: consider the noise factor...16 or below if you're sensitive to the rocking beat.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear noodlejudah,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the associates made it fantastic. We greatly appreciate your candid feedback as it helps us to improve the guest experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Thank you for the great review!
limavady,Northern Ireland.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because it was very convenient for all the New York sites and it certainly was well positioned for Macy's,The Empire State Building,Times Square etc.
The staff were pleasant and helpful and our room was adequate.
Our main complaint was that we had booked breakfast included and expected a wonderful breakfast for the very expensive room rate - almost £500 per night including taxes. The breakfast was dreadful - simple continental with little choice. We discovered that if the price allowance was exceeded even by a cup of coffee you had to pay the extra.
We wish we had chosen The Hilton Garden Inn immediately next door with all the convenience of position but at half the room rate and a decent breakfast. We will next time!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank sgreilly21
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear sgreilly21,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I deeply regret that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. It is with candid feedback, such as yours, that we are able to improve and better serve our guests. Thank you for sharing. Please contact me by dialing the hotel directly should you wish to share or discuss anything further.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel was renovated recently. The decoration and furniture are all new and very modern. The lobby on the 2nd floor has nice library, computer/internet, starbucks, and balcony overlooking at Herald Square and surrounding Time Square area. It is quite enjoyable just sitting in the balcony looking at the street view.

Many famous landmarks such as Herald Square, Penn Station, Empire Building, Time Square, etc. are nearby.

The only small drawback is the aging elevator, which was not renovated. The space is so small and speed very slow.

Otherwise, highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank changching
Dear changching,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your genuine feedback, especially regarding the elevator, as it certainly helps us to improve and make every guest experience great. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Thank you for the great review!
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Booked a room online that specified that it could have a king size bed or two double beds upon request for the rate I booked. When I called to request the two double beds all of a sudden that room was not the same rate but a higher rate than the price I payed and they refuse to do absolutely anything to help me and were rude to boot and I could not cancel or change the reservation. I'm in the city at least once a month and have never had such terrible service at any other hotel. Never again at any Courtyard in New York for sure

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank eurotravellady
Rahshan W, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the feedback regarding your reservation expereince. I apologize that the information that you were provided duiring the reservation process was not what you received when you contacted the hotel and that the staff that you encountered were not helpful. I would be delighted to speak with you further in hopes of regaining your trust.

Woof
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Everything should be great about this hotel.
The location, the friendly staff, the new feel to the rooms. Except for one thing. There is a newly opened roof top terrace bar called the Monarch. Apparently the Mayor opened this bar recently as a guest of honour. How did they get away with opening up on the top of a residential hotel where families would surely be asleep? So if boomy bass and scraping bar stools aren't your thing make sure you don't get a city view room on the top floor. Marriott will still take your money even though they know about this problem - which seems a touch dishonest. They should declare this before they accept your booking. If you are a light sleeper this annoyance will spoil your stay somewhat so beware.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Woof_Wag_Wag
Dear Woof_Wag_Wag,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. We appreciate your honest feedback and apologize for your recent experience with the noise from above. We understand the importance of our guest's comfort and take your feedback seriously. With that said, we are working closely with our rooftop partners to ensure everyone's comfort in all spaces. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to share additional feedback or discuss. I can be reached by dialing the hotel directly.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed on the top floor of this hotel in September. It had a nice view of herald square and the empire state building. The room was clean, and large for a Manhattan room. Bathroom was a touch small, especially the vanity.

My biggest issue was that the roof is used as a club on the weekends. Nobody told me this when I checked in, so Saturday night rolls around and I all I hear is thumping bass. It's way too late at night to switch rooms. I wish I had been warned about this. I complained when I checked out and was given some extra points.

Also, I'm Marriott Gold and was dissapointed that there was hardly any perks associated with that here. No free breakfast, etc. That's one thing I like about Hilton...they offer something at pretty much all of their properties.

Room Tip: Stay off the 17th floor if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cmmatt
Dear cmmatt,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had during your stay. Your genuine feedback is greatly appreciated as it helps us to improve and better serve our guests. We are working closely with our rooftop partners to ensure that all parties are comfortable and enjoy their time with us. Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding cleanliness.