Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
  • Fitness center
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$348
$271
  • Room Service
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$249
$239
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$192
$135
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$171
$152
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$187
$114
$167
$135
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$159
$120
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$100
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
$331
$297
  • Room Service
All reviewsthe empire state buildingpenn stationrooftop barcourtyard marriottgreat locationnew yorkhotel entrancethe ground floorlobby levelcorner roomstreet noisedefinitely stay here againcity viewcar servicegood sizebryant parkking room
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel couldnt be in a better location. It is right beside Macys and Victorias Secret! The rooms were a pretty good size for a new york hotel. The bed was comfy, there was a safety deposit box, the bathroom was a good size. The only criticism is that i would have liked a bath and there wasnt one but it wouldnt stop me from staying there again. Another negative is the elevator is painfully slow but again, nothing that would stop us from staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear gemz1989,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. Thank you for your feedback. It is from feedback, such as yours, that we are able to continuously strive to improve and exceed our guest's expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for the great review!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This Courtyard has only been open for a few months, but they have gotten it right. The hotel staff are very helpful, the rooms have been nicely done, and the location is good.

The opened a rooftop bar last week when I was there. I would highly recommend the property. The rooms are very good size, and very clean.

The only down side was the elevator system. They appear to be new, but are EXTREMELY slow.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank demetgolf

Dear demetgolf,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. Thank you for your accolades. I will certainly share them with the team to highlight the successes. We strive to exceed the guest's expectations. With that said, I thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to hotel soon. Thank you for a great review!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I asked for this property to be added to tripadvisor because I use the site <always> for reviews on restaurants and hotels when traveling. I was really eager to write a review for this newly opened Courtyard. Stayed there a few weeks after it opened in June because my son who lives in NY had an emergency surgery on a very busy weekend (Gay Pride) and we needed a place last minute after driving down from Boston. We were so pleased with the people at the front desk in getting the accommodations we needed--great room, and the hotel is perfectly located. Went to the City again on July 27/28 and chose the Courtyard at Herald Square again & had another great experience--clean rooms and terrific customer service helping with last minute changes in number of beds. Even with a sold out situation--they made it happen; help from both Corey and Mike at the front desk--much appreciated. Having lived in NY, I still go back quite frequently--this Courtyard is my new hotel of choice. I'll take friendly customer-focused people, clean lobby and rooms, and a very comfortable bed over an in house bar/ restaurant any day. Who needs that with so many just steps or cab ride away? Highly recommend this property and I have stayed at many properties in the City over the past 15 years--this is my new fave.

Room Tip: I choose a low floor by elevators so I get out and enjoy this great city!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JudyArlingtonMA
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear JudyArlingtonMA,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed both of your previous stays. We are happy to be your new hotel of choice in New York City. We strive to constantly exceed our guest's expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for the great review!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Pros:
Walking Distance to Times Square and 5th Avenue
New and Trendy Design (Lobby and Rooms)
Very close to the Subway

The Cons:
The rooms are too small
The breakfast is not really a Breakfast
The Valet Parking is incredibly expensive (75 USD per night)

The Trouble:
Accidentally left my Canon T4i camera in the room when I checked out and the camera never appeared ... I called the hotel twice and nobody could give me an answer ... I am a Gold Rewards member and I am very disappointed because I'm sure the camera was in the room.

It is unfortunate that this hotel is not safe for the guests belongings, I will send a letter to the Marriott chain and probably it will be useless

Room Tip: Do not bring valuable belongings for this Hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank pyaselli
Nicholas71, Operations Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear pyaselli,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Herald Square. We appreciate your candid feedback and apologize for the experience you had during your stay. Please feel free to contact me by dialing the hotel directly should you wish to share further feedback or discuss.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I decided to try this new Courtyard to celebrate our wedding anniversary. (It was more my idea than his, but he went along with it.) Unfortunately, our experience was one disappointment after another. Instead of a relaxing getaway, we spent too much of our getaway weekend dealing with hotel issues.

Let's start with our arrival-We decided to valet park at $65/night in order to make things as smooth as possible traveling with a baby. When we pulled up to the hotel, there was no place to stop and unload and there was not a valet standing outside to assist us. I had to get back in traffic to circle around and call the hotel to determine where I could stop. After that, staff were available outside to assist us. For all that hassle, I wish I would have just self-parked in the parking lot a few doors down and saved the extra expense and the hassle of getting back into traffic.

Once inside, you have to take the elevators up to the lobby level to get to the hotel front desk. (This setup underscores the need for a visible presence of valets or other staff outside for those needing assistance.)

Our first room was a king room with a sofa bed. Unfortunately, the room was too small for the sofa bed to open up. The hotel engineer came up to try, and it didn't work for him either. He tried repositioning it in front of the room door and the bathroom door, which would not have been convenient if it had worked. (It did not work; the room was too small for the sofa bed in it.) The only reason we were even interested in the sofa bed is because contrary to what was stated when I called to ask before arriving, they do not have cribs at all. They only have pack n' plays. If your child will sleep in a pack n' play, you're fine. If not, this hotel may not be the best choice for you. At that point, we were there and stuck and had to make due. Fortunately, the manager (Latoya) was able to relocate us to another room that was larger so that the sofa bed could be pulled out.

The second room was larger, and the bathroom had a tub. (Our first room had a bathroom with a shower only. I've enclosed pictures of both bathrooms, which cater to different preferences.) The new room had fantastic city views! The television, however, didn't work at first. The bellman (Tony) was great and pulled on wires in the wall and found that it was simply unplugged.

Once we were settled in the new room, I called down to thank the manager. We didn't want to be difficult guests and simply wanted to have a good anniversary stay. (There were two phones in the room to use to call her, but the first one I picked up to call her...you guessed it...didn't work.)

As soon as I hung up the phone and tried to put the previously mentioned issues behind us, we discovered other issues. The lamp in the room did not have a light bulb. The bathroom did not have wash cloths or a bathmat. We had already spent most of our time trying to get issues resolved, we just wanted to sleep at that point.

The next day I thought I'd call down to housekeeping to let them know about the lamp without a light bulb and to more importantly get some wash cloths, but there was no answer. We got dressed and went down to the front desk as pleasantly as possible to ask about wash cloths and mentioned the lamp without the light bulb, etc. The front desk seemed to be concerned and indicated that the things would be taken care of for us.

When we returned after about 3.5 hours, taking care of it was not quite what we expected. There was still no light bulb for the lamp and at first we thought no wash cloths. Then we randomly noticed that there were some wash cloths, but instead of being in the bathroom they were randomly sitting on my husband's suitcase. (Weird)
Nonetheless, we were happy to have them and move on.

We went out and came back after another two hours or so, and yes, our wash cloths that we worked so hard to get were gone. When I called down to get some again, the engineer came to our room with hand towels and said that they don't have wash cloths. (Wait, what happened to the ones that were brought to us earlier that were sitting on top of my husband's suitcase?)

Needless to say, we spent our two-day anniversary weekend getaway dealing with a lot of hassle. This hotel has some good qualities. It is fresh and new, taxis are plentiful, and there's a wonderful common outdoor patio on the lobby level that has great views. The room that we ended up in also had wonderful views. However, as you can imagine, these are all secondary when you spend your anniversary weekend paying for a lot of hassle.

So in addition to paying for a lot of hassle, you also need to be sure to bring your own things (like wash cloths). While I tend to bring lotion, body wash, etc, my husband usually just uses what the hotel has. This hotel has really miniature items; I'm talking .7ml. To quote my husband, "I'm no critic, but this place..." It was one frustration after another.

The hotel has the potential to provide a much better experience if they simply pay attention to some very important details. I really wanted to like and have a great experience at the hotel, especially since I talked my husband into going on this journey with me to explore this new hotel. The hotel really let me down and missed the mark.

To say that they are new and still working out kinks is simply an excuse for a poor experience. I stayed at the Hyatt Union Square there opening week earlier this year and had none of these problems. The year before for our anniversary, we stayed at the Hyatt 48 Lex during its opening year and had no problems.

The staff (Latoya, Tony, John, and others) were nice, but our experience was poor, especially when paying for hassle on your wedding anniversary. We were so happy and ready to go home when our stay was over.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank HotelGeographer
Rahshan W, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Herald Square. I appreciate you sharing the feedback regarding your stay. Attention to detail is important when traveling and during your stay we missed the mark on this several times. I do hope the you will provide us with another opportunity to be your hotel of choice when traveling to the NYC area.