“Great location, friendly staff”

SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #145 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent, only two blocks from the subway. I admit, the rooms are not very big and the photographer indeed has done a great job making them look bigger. But hey, this is NYC so you know space is a commodity. Cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms is extremely good. Beds are very comfortable and ensure a good night's sleep. We were on the 9th floor in the back. The view wasn't much to write home about but again, this is NYC.
Front desk staff very friendly and helpful, as was the breakfast staff. The complimentary breakfast was a great way to start the day. During the weekend it wasn't too crowded, during the week a bit more people. But supplies were sufficient. Due to a flooding, the basement area was being redone so we were sorry to hear the gym was out of order. Provisions had been made in a nearby hotel, but this was much less convenient. Maybe a heads up when making our reservation would have been considerate...
All in All, I am sure to return to this hotel on a next NYC trip if the rates are competative.

Stayed: February 2014
Nick C, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Good Afternoon Stalex,

Thank you for your review, we greatly appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. You have made some great points as to some of the common features of most NYC hotels such as room size and room views. We also understand that due to size and space certain amenities are more difficult to come by, but we do try to maximize on things we can control. Such as; cleanliness, breakfast options, and most importantly service. I am happy to say that our fitness center is done with a brief renovation and is fully functional. I hope that you will join us again so that you can utilize that are of the hotel. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you join us in the near future.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had my concerns, as I had never stayed in a Springhill before. The location was great, and for right before Super Bowl weekend, the price was reasonable.

The location was great, 37th closer to 6th. An easy walk from Penn Station.6 blocks to Times Square. The check in was friendly and helpful. I would like to thank Mike at the front desk. Very friendly, and after a recent bad experience in Manhattan, he gave me a room on a high floor that did not face the street to minimize street noise.

The room was more than adequate. Comfortable bed, clock radio, flat screen TV, refrigerator. Styling is very modern, and I believe the sofa was pull out. The breakfast was great, both hot and cold with scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and all you would expect on a cold buffet as well. Luggage storage the following morning was hassle free as well.

This will be on my list for a future trip, especially if the prices remains attractive.

Two suggestions for management-

1) The location of the TV on the wall is not great. I imagine it is intended to make viewing possible from both couch and bed but it is not great for either.
2) PLEASE change the coffee condiment package to something that has more or bigger creamer packets. I looked forward to the coffee in the room, but could not drink it.

Room Tip: High floor, not facing 37th st.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Rhapsodyinblue
Nick C, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Good Afternoon Rhapsodyinblue,

Thank you for your great review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your first experience at a SpringHill Suites by Marriott. We appreciate all feedback that we receive regarding our guest's experience, and I will be sure to share yours with Mike at our front desk regarding the service he was able to provide you during your stay.

Additionally, I would like to thank you for your ideas on how we can make our product better with your suggestions for TV location and additional coffee amenities in the room. We are always looking for new ideas to attract new guest's as well as make things better for our repeat customers. We hope to see you again on your next trip to New York City, and thank you again for taking the time out of your day to post a review for our hotel.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Booked after reading such great reviews for a two night birthday getaway but very sadly disappointed. Must start out by saying front desk service was top notch. VERY friendly, helpful and efficient. Helpful in selecting room to fit our requests and them switching rooms after realizing it had one chair instead of the full couch. GREAT service and friendly every time we came in or out.

First off, whoever took the pictures of the rooms should be given an award for photography. They are WAY smaller then the pictures / floor plan look. Now I understand most NYC hotel room ARE tight but these pictures just make it way different. VERY tight for two people to get around any part of the room let alone get ready to go out. Traveling along, would have been fine but...

Second problem was the heat. Again, I understand most NYC hotels can get hot in the winter but this was crazy. Room temp was 82 at 3 pm, set thermostat to 60 AND opened window (was 15 degrees outside) by 11pm it had cooled off to 77. Went down to front desk and they said (nicely) sorry, there is nothing we can do AC is off for the winter. Suggested turning off a/c and just leaving window open. Somehow, on 18th floor with window and shades open and frigid temps outside, not one bit of breeze came in. Its like a vacuum sucking air out. Was this way for entire stay. So, tried to sleep with window open which required shades to be open which led to crappy sleep due to lights from buildings right next to hotel. And I DO mean right next to. If you re below the 15th floor on the rear, right side you can probably read the lips of the people in the building behind you.

Breakfast was great for free but as others have said VERY crowded sitting area. rarely was a table to sit so expect to take food back to room.

WIFI was free and fast. No problems at all. Beds were incredibly comfortable.

Also, there was a very large bag of garbage from housekeeping that was left in the hallway for two days. And hallways looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in a few weeks. But room / shower / bathroom was very clean.

All in all I would try again in summer if traveling alone but NEVER with another person and NEVER in winter.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tom L
SpringHillSuitesNYC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Tom L

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey to let us know how your stay was. I apologize that you had a stay that did not meet your expecations. As you can see from several of our reviews we truly pride ourselves in our cleanliness and for one of our housekeeping staff to forget the trash bag at the end of the day is not a good thing, and I agree sets a bad perspective. We have shared that with our staff and have put plans in place to ensure it does not happen again. I am glad to hear that you felt our Desk Staff were freindly and helpful. They are a great team and enjoy going above and beyond to make your stay the best it can be. As you stated our complimentary breakfast is a great way to start the day, and can get busy during peak times as everyone wants to try it. We have checked the heaters on your floor and all are working. With all the cold weather we have been experiencing, a lot of the heaters were not shutting off and it may have hampered it. Regardless you should not have dealt with it and for that I am sorry.

Please let us know when you come back in the summer and we will be more than happy to ensure your stay will meet and exceed your expectations. Again, I appreciate you letting us know so we can improve, and I look forward to seeing you stay again in the summer.

All the best!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I spent a weekend in NYC. We usually stay in the Upper East side, but wanted to explore a different neighborhood. Since we were going to see a show, we decided to stay in the theater district.

The Springhill will be our new go to hotel. The our room, a king was perfect for two people. It has a fridge, microwave, a small but ergonomic bathroom, great shower and water pressure, closet, safe, desk among other touches.

Free breakfast (eggs, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, assorted muffins, breads) is a nice way to start a day of sight seeing or business.

Valet parking is a wonderful plus in this location. Short walk to subway, polite and professional front desk staff, great location - twenty or so minute walk to Columbus Circle, Union Square, or quick subway ride to lower Manhattan.

Springhill Suites is my preferred hotel when traveling on business and glad I found one in NYC.

Room Tip: We were upgrades to a city view on a higher floor. Nice view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sallad13
Nick C, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Hello Sallad13,

We appreciate the review you have posted for our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time at our hotel, as well as the new midtown location. I am pleased to hear that you found valet, breakfast, room amenities, and location fitting for you and your husbands needs. We hope to see you again, please feel free to reach out to the hotel prior to your next stay so that we can ensure that you next stay is as enjoyable as this one!

Sincerely

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed four nights at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised! The hotel is fairly new, with a quiet room, comfortable beds and linens. the location was great,easy walk to subway, 5th Avenue and easy walk to Times Square.
The staff at the hotel were so helpful and nice! They answered any questions we had, helped us with reservations and choices.
The breakfast help was so sweet...Lisa was a doll. I saw her being so sweet to the clients, bringing them extra drinks etc. really nice, friendly staff.

Room Tip: I think most are the same. Not much of a view but we were not in the room much.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Keekers456

Hi Keekers456,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us this January. I am happy that you found our breakfast a great perk for your stay. I have shared your feedback with Lisa and she was very pleased to hear that you appreciated her service when you were here. We understand that our service is something that can set us a part from all of the other New York City options. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay. I hope that we see you again for your next New York City trip!

Have a great day

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Great Location, Great room, Great Breakfast, Great Staff!!! We arrived at 8AM, we were immediately issued a key and got into our room and dropped off our luggage. The front desk advised us that breakfast was served until 9 and we were welcome to enjoy breakfast. We had a wonderful breakfast and started our day of sightseeing before 9AM!!! Thank you Springhill Suites. We felt safe in the area of the hotel. No problem navigating.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LUVDIAMONDS

Hello LUVDIAMONDS,

Thank you for your great reviews. I'm happy to hear that you were able to check-in at 8am and get your vacations started off the right way! Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback so that we can continue to keep our guests satisfied.

Have a great day,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

The SpringHill Suites made our trip to NYC, my husband, 9 year old granddaughter(first trip) and I, absolutely perfectly wonderful!!! Our room was clean, neat, and went far above providing the extras(refrigerator, coffee maker, and wonderful view of the Empire State Building)!! The free breakfast was excellent! We were greeted each morning by sweet Crystal and Michelle who worked so hard to make it perfect!! I explained my food allergies to them, and they made sure
the foods that I needed were out when we walked in for breakfast!! We felt like we were leaving dear friends the day we departed!! The location is within walking distance from all of the places we visited. We loved our stay and look forward to returning in the near future!! Thank you!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Louise T
Nick C, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Hi Louise,

Thank you for the kind words regarding our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you and your family had a great experience at our property. I recall when you were staying with us and our food and beverage team reached out to ensure that you had options for breakfast that would work with your allergies.

We always strive to ensure that our guest's receive great personalized service throughout all areas of the hotel, and I am glad that you found our hotel fitting for your travel needs. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future for your next New York City trip.

Thanks Again