“A Tale of Two Rooms”

SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #135 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was in NYC for a combination work/pleasure trip with an old friend. I was really looking forward to staying here based on all the positive reviews I had read. We had booked a King room which I thought would be fine. I travel to NYC often and am used to the small size of rooms, but this was a new level of "compact". What was more disturbing was the room configuration -- the bathroom was right at the foot of the bed, and the frosted glass made for no privacy whatsoever. We tried to switch rooms, but were told the hotel was sold out for the night and we could possibly change rooms the next day. Ugh...

The next day we were able to move to a queen room on the front side. What a difference! Even though the room was an accessible room and had a funky shower, the experience was night and day.

Special thanks to Eunice at the front desk for her help in changing rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Rooms are New York sized rooms--small-ish with the standard Springhill room-divider layout. Internet was stable. One flat screen TV that can pivot for viewing in either the bed or the sitting/desk side of the room.

I know it's New York, but the advance-booking rate at this property is comparable to what I've paid at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square or the Marriott East Side. Go figure.

I stayed on the fifth floor facing 37th and even with the window closed tight, the blackout curtains drawn and the fan on high I still was awakened by the noisy deliveries and garbage pickup on the street below. Higher floors would probably offer some relief from the noise.

Interesting carpet/wallpaper choice with the pattern actually lines of poetry.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just a quick review. My husband and I stayed over Labor Day for a long weekend. Everything about this hotel was fabulous, from the staff to the room, all receive excellent ratings. We had stayed a few months past at the Fairfield Inn next door, and there is no comparison. Recommend this hotel highly. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I have high hopes for this hotel based on the positive reviews. Unfortunately this hotel advertises itself as a suite hotel and seemed an attractive option for us- a family with a young child. We were in a king suite with a king bed and sofa bed. There was no room to move at all and no room for our suitcases. Rooms are unbelievably small for a family we tried to request a larger room but unfortunately there were none available apart from a junior suite at an extra $100/night. Also, the sliding bathroom door has a glass panel which is see-through allowing you to see the other person on the toilet and so forth, is this doesn't bother you then that is fine. Our stay was extremely uncomfortable. In addition we had a very late night flight and we had to check out at 12pm- The hotel did not allow us to use a room for 15 minutes to freshen up, sterilise baby bottles etc before leaving for the airport, something that 99% of the hotels I have stayed in usually help with- we were instead asked to use the washroom.
The breakfast, whilst good, finishes at 9 AM. The room was cleaned that tidied in a very shoddy way. This was the fourth mid-range hotel we had stayed in in our trip and the poorest when it came to room tidiness by housekeeping.
I am sorry to say I would not stay here again.
I would recommend the Affinia 50 hotel, the room sizes are generous and the facilities better for young families.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank SunnyTRL
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for 9 nights on my first trip to New York. Arrived early on a tuesday morning and was able to check into one of our two rooms. The rooms were good size and very clean. Both our rooms faced the front which accorded us a view of the Empire State Bldg. Each room had a small refrigerator and microwave which came in handy. The beds were very comfortable.

The hotel provided a good hot complimentary breakfast each morning. New York is very expensive. So having a free meal each day was huge. Thanks SpringHill.

Location wise. Very close to the subway, tons of bars, and restaurants. Times Square is a 10 minute walk away.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting New York. I want thank everyone of the staff for making my first ever New York experience a great and memorable one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front and if having a bathtub is important for you, ask. Not every room ha...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Recently stayed here the weekend after the 4th of July. This is a very new hotel and the rooms are reflective of that. The bed was awesome! Very clean and a decent sized for NYC. Bathrooms are well appointed and all the rooms have WIFI for no additional cost. Not to mentioned the WIFI had pretty decent reception. The proximity of this hotel works well if you would like to be close to all the action in Times Square. The nice thing is that it is only a couple blocks away, but because it is on a side street there is no noise or lights associated with staying right in Times Square. Great compromise those that want to be close to the action yet would like some peace and quiet at the end of the night.

Room Tip: Select a room with a view. If not, you will be facing a wall...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank onechicagogirl
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Usually hotel rooms in Manhattan are really small, so we were pleasantly surprised by the comfortable size of the rooms here. Everything was very sleek and modern and finally, a hotel with enough plugs for all of our electronics! Free wifi and breakfast and there is a wonderful patio in the back-great to sit there and enjoy a morning cup of coffee or breakfast.

Room Tip: We were very close to the elevator which I had concerns about, but it was actually quite quiet!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends