“Excellent Breakfast and Front Desk Staff”

SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #151 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Negril, Jamaica
“Excellent Breakfast and Front Desk Staff”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I just finished seeing Motown and 20 Feet from Stardown / Lincoln Center and this hotel provided a great location . Little did I know that it has only been opened for 1 month. Surprise we got back to the hotel and a big ribbon cutting ceremony with Mr Marriott himself, wine and snacks flowed freely. Hmm did I crash the party oh well thanks.
This is by farm favorite NYC hotel. See you in August!!
Did I mention Michelle and Lisa in the breakfast = #Awesome

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank gailnegril
SpringHillSuitesNYC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Good Afternoon

Yes you did attend our Grand Opening Party and Mr Marriott was there, but in no means did you crash it as all of our guests were more than welcome. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Michelle and Lisa are amazing and I could not agree with you more. They were so pleased to see their ames mentioned and receieved many compliments. The service they provide is second to none.
Our location is a great one being only a few blocks from Times Square, Herald Square and Fifth Avenue Shopping. It is one of many things that makes us stand out.

See you again in August!

We look forward to your return trip!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Noord, Aruba
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This property is a complete new construction that opened to the public on May 16th, 2013 and my check-in was just 4 days after their grand opening day.
The rooms are crisp & clean, compact like most rooms in Midtown NYC but well organized with everything you need with exception of closet space.
Breakfast is incl. and everyone was pleasant and professional as to be expected by a property managed by Marriott.
Location is perfect as it's located between 5th & 6th Ave., so everything is within walking distance incl. several trains/metro stations to various location.
Haven't been to NY for about 19 years but was very impressed for a job well done by Major Giulianni and now Major Bloomberg in making & keeping the city clean and save!
Will definitely stay at SpringHill Suites on 37th again on my next trip to the city that never sleeps!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SpringHillSuitesNYC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Good Afternoon!

Thank you so much for posting a review. We are very excited about our new hotel in New York City. This area is very dynamic and SpringHill SUites is a great fit for the neighborhood. I agree with you, the neighborhood has really changed in a great way.

I have shared your comments with the staff. They really are an amazing team, that truly enjoy giving great service.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hotel was only open for 3 weeks when I checked in.
The location of this hotel is excellent, between 5th Ave and 6th in the middle of Midtown.
As a visitor for fun or work I think this location is great. You can hit midtown, Chelsea, HK, Broadway, etc...

Great shopping nearby, Madison Ave, Macys, etc.

The hotel is done very well, great lobby with outdoor seating in front and rear of the building. The exercise room is adequate but not the best.
Rooms are large for NYC, very comfortable with good HVAC and surprisingly quiet.

Breakfast is typical for a SpringHill and very busy.

Room Tip: Higher floors are great for view, but note the elevators are very slow.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Good Afternoon and thank you for posting a review of our hotel.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Opening a new hotel in New York is a very exciting endeavor and the first three weeks was full of that energy. In regards to the helath club, we were missing a few pieces of equipment when we first opened and for that I apologize. I am happy to say that all pieces are in and the it lloks great. We continue to add new things to keep your work out fresh. Our latest addition is our Medicine Balls and Bosu Trainers.

I do hope you come back soon to experience the improvements.

Thank you again!
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here the night before a cruise. It is brand new and has 2 queen sized beds in a room, a rare treat in NYC The room is small, but not bad for NYC standards. Bathroom is small but nicely appointed and efficient with a sliding door, big walk in shower tiled to the ceiling with high shower head - great for our teenage son who is 6'6". Note that there is no tub if that is important to you. The location is fabulous. It's on a nice, quiet street within easy walking distance to Grand Central Station, Times Square, Herald Square, etc. we had a great view of the Empire State Building from our window. Breakfast was mediocre, but there's a great deli across the street for all day meals and snacks. There is a large CVS around the corner as well. We will definitely stay here again and recommend it to our friends!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review about our brand new hotel!

Being over 6 foot myself I understand and appreciate our showers as well. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. The rooms are definitely quite larger than most in NYC, and the view is spectacular. On a clear day you have a view of lower Manahattan as well. I have shared your breakfast comments with our staff and we have worked hard to come up with some new changes to help enhance the experience. Such as Salsa, spinach, and shredded cheese to spice up your morning eggs.

We hope you come back soon so you can see the new changes to the breakfast, and experience moer of the Big Apple,

All the best!
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I just finished a three day, two night stay for business. The hotel is brand spanking new. The location on 37th St is very convenient, as the Herald Square subway station for the N/R/Q lines is only three blocks away and shopping/food surrounds you on every block. The reception staff was warm and helpful, as was Ernest the bellman. The rooms are smallish (but not unreasonably so) with good linens, bright decor, a very large HD TV and one of the better bath/shower areas I have seen in a Marriott in quite a long while (and they use Paul Mitchell toiletries, a nice touch). I had a nice stay and slept very, very well.

This property, though, has the potential to be VERY good if one or two things are straightened out. For the staff:

- First, I found debris from another guest on the room floor, so I stopped by the front desk (on my way out for meetings the first morning) and directly requested the cleaning staff vacuum the room. The staff told me it would be taken care of, but when I returned at 6 that day the room had been cleaned without a vacuuming -- so Hello, Debris. I then had to remove the debris myself rather than step on it another day. Second, I would have appreciated some guidance from the staff about the local neighborhood. Reichenbach Beer Hall is right up the block! I only found it the second day but gladly would have patronized it the first night. There is a superb magazine shop (with plenty of refreshment options) also right up the block. One of the best Korean wing joints is a block and 1/2 away? Does the reception staff know this? If so they don't tell guests or provide a sheet listing these. These are very important to a first-time guest, as easily accessible dining/refreshments options close to a hotel mean the high probability of a return stay. Tell us, please!

For Marriott:

- PLEASE get rid of the current breakfast eggs and meats. There is no other word to describe them then horrible with a capital H. I don't even think they are using real eggs, they taste like Eggbeaters. As for the sausage and turkey bacon, ugh, cardboard might taste better. Look, Mr, Marriott, if you don't want to provide the right food then get rid of it, just go with pastries and cereal and oatmeal, I don't care, but don't cheap out on the basics and expect someone to eat it. I remember 5 years ago when your eggs and sausage were as good as a diner's offerings, but now it is just dreck.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello VA Disney Family

I would like to say thank you for letting us know about the service failures that occured during your stay. I can assure you that this is not the norm, and being brand new we want as much feedback as possible so we can succeed.

I have shared your comments with the staff, and due to your review we now have a one page listing of some of our best recomendations at the desk for guests to utilize.

Our housekeeping staff has been retrained and spoken with about the importance of making sure they don't forget to clean a guests room or to vacuum. Please know that we take this very seriously and all have been retrained..

I am glad that you liked the deccor as it is the latest from Marriott and the 42in TV's are a great addition.

We hope you come back and give us another try to experience the great Marriott service you have come to expect.

All the best.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I am writing this review 1 day before our check out. I was so impressed with the property and the service i wanted to go on and write the review. The breakfast staff was amazing. Michelle, Lisa and Crystal went out of their way to make our stay memorable. The first morning we slept in and my daughter and I woke up realizing it was 9am when breakfast closes. I raced downstairs only to find the ladies helping my husband preparing a to go breakfast for the kids and me. They were cooking waffles and packing up other food items for us. They truly went out of their way and was authentic about doing so (Michelle, Crystal, and Lisa).

The hotel has only been open for 3 weeks but there were no hiccups that we're visibly noticeable to me or my family. The manager is on site and you see him often. This team is excited to make your experience the best from the front desk to the breakfast staff. If our family makes it back to New York we will be staying here again.

Also, the location is convenient to Times Square. There is a market right across the street which made it handy to purchase drinks, fruit, and etc. Great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa A
Thank you so much for your review. I agree that the ladies in the morning are amazing! They work from the heart which a reae and fatastic thing these days. I am truly fortunate to have them part of this amazing team. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast items. The waffles made fresh are always a big hit, especially with the kids.

The hotel is in a great location being in the center of it all with Herald Square, Times Square, and Fifth Ave all steps from our door. Definitely a shoppers dream. WE love this neighborhood as it continues to become the hottest area in NYC.

The staff was excited about your comments and asked me to express their thanks.

See you soon on your return trip.
Moraga, California
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This SpringHill location is wonderful! It is the quietest hotel I have ever stayed in while in Manhattan - granted I was on the 14th floor and at the back of the building - but WOW it was quiet which provided a very restful sleep. A couple of cons, however; the eggs served at breakfast are nasty and taste like rubber! And the staff doesn't recognize gold or platinum members with a simple "welcome" or notification of upgrade - but whatever - I am not high maintenance I don't see this as a big thing as the rest of the staff was wonderful...

Room Tip: Ask for an off street room for superior silence!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EinReisenderAusCA
Good Afternoon

I am sorry for the frustration of not being recognized for your status. We regard our Elite Members very highly and thank you for your loyalty. We are currently doing daily trainings and spot checks to ensure that this does not happen again. We treat all ofour guests with repsect and need to make sure that our Elite Memeber receive the best for their loyalty. When I read your review of the eggs, I immediately shared with the staff and they have been retrained to ensure that all food is always at the standards set forth by marriott.

I am pelased to say that we have been getting alot of great comments with the additions to our breakfast and the new items to enhance our eggs such as Salsa and cheese.

On the room side the City View rooms do have a spectacular view of the Empire State Building and the surrounding area.

We do hope you ca return to see the great changes that we have made thanks to the feedback form our guests snuch as yourself.

Regards