“Pippin is great fun”
Review of Pippin The Musical - CLOSED

Pippin The Musical
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I highly recommend this revival of Pippin, even if you saw the original in the 70s. Yes, the story and the music are the same, and in a nod to Bob Fosse, they even use some of his original choreography. But this Pippin is a circus -- and there's as much happening onstage as in a 3-ring circus! It's worth the price of admission just to see Andrea Martin, who stops the show singing "No Time at All" while performing on a trapeze! And Patina Miller is wonderful as the Leading Player (Ben Vereen played this part in the original). Just go see it!

There are newer reviews for Pippin The Musical

Reviewed July 29, 2013

What a great performance - so many good performers in this play.
Singing, acting, acrobatics - amazing!!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

It's a great thing when you long to see/do something, it finally comes true and then it meets or (in this case) exceeds your expectation. This, for me, is PIPPIN.

The musical uses the premise of a mysterious circus troupe, led by a Leading Player, to tell the story of Pippin, a young prince on his search for meaning and significance.

Pippin had me captivated as a boy when I saw commercials displaying the bodies of the players in formation spelling the name, Pippin. Add Ben Vereen, one of my all-time favorites (even then) and the legendary Bob Fossee, and you’ve got a magical theatre experience. I imagine it was, but a much disappointed younger me never got to have that moment. That is, until last night.

Thirty minutes late (a first), the curtain finally rose to expose a glossy, hard-bodied Patina Miller. Six rows away sat a judging, unforgiving, much-older me thinking....she's not Ben Vereen and I'll never get past that. But within what seemed like seconds, I was enraptured and instantly became part of her magical circus world, and I would never look back. If a perfect marriage could exist between actor and role it could be said that Patina Miller is in wedded bliss. She's mesmerizing: an exciting, fantastic sight to behold. I dare you to remove your eyes from her; it's impossible. If Ben Vereen hand-picked her himself he could not have made a better choice. For all my money, the Tony should be placed in her perfectly twisting Fosse-esque hands.

Terrence Mann: I saw him in the original production of Cats and thought he was fantastic! I can't forgo mentioning that during that same run I was at The Cat Club on 13th St. and Broadway one Saturday night when the doors suddenly parted and all 140lbs of slinky Terrance sauntered in in full "Rum Tum Tugger" regalia to gaggles of shocked onlookers. After all these many years he still continues to have that electrifying, Dr. Frank-N-Furter, campy style that always seemed to work so well for him. I'm happy to report it's still intact. He still possesses that sultry, resonant voice that could both move you and scare the hell out of you almost simultaneously. He's brilliant.

Charlotte d'Amboise: The real-life spouse of Terrance Mann. That body. That dancing. That flaming red wig. Another one whom I defy you to stop starring at: when she's on stage with Patina Miller, deciding where to fix your gaze suddenly becomes an almost painful feat.

Andrea Martin: Her role as Pippin's Grandmother is an example of that small, supporting part that gives a seasoned performer the opportunity to steal a show from its principals if it's done right. Thankfully it is, but there's too much extraordinary talent here to accomplish that. Ok, so no Tony award in 2008 for Young Frankenstein, but here it comes Andrea, so make sure the speech is under two minutes. And....she does circus acrobatics. I was astonished.

Matthew James Thomas: Pippin. I thought he had all the right ingredients to make a great Pippin. It's been told to me that the critics didn't necessarily agree, but there must be some old expression about how theatre critics taste good when spread on toast. I think they're wrong. Again.

Rachel Bay Jones: Love, love love what she did with that character. All the great acting skills and comedic timing that make a very difficult role seem perfectly easy and natural. A mother of a thing to pull off well. And she really did.

The rest of the supporting group of players were so skilled in so many areas, the most successful person in the room would feel like a nerdy pimple-face by comparison.

I LOVED THIS MUSICAL. I wouldn't change one word or action, one cast member or costume, one set or piece of business. But it was the sudden realization all these many years later that I AM Pippin insofar as I too have been on a life-long search for meaning and significance that was the real eye opener for me. It was the fulfillment of a dream to finally see this show, and I’m now really glad it was THIS show.

If you have to save every penny, hop a flight from Miami Beach or from Hollywood, hitchhike with a stranger or steal a ride on a poultry truck from Alabama, you should have this wonderful, short-lived experience if it's at all possible so many years from now you're not sitting in a dark theatre comparing whomever the next player is to Patina Miller.

1  Thank peterworldtraveler
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The production is inspiring, moving, amazing! It won a Tony award for a good reason. Do not think there is a bad seat in the house.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

At 16 years old, I've been to New York quite often. I've seen a dozen shows on Broadway, and another 5 on tour. Despite my young age, I consider myself to be a theatre enthusiast and I make a point of keeping up to date with the latest theatre news, awards and shows.
With that being said, I can easily say that Pippin has earned a place among my Top 3 favorite shows.
The music is incredibly catchy (barely a day has passed since I saw the show and I have already downloaded the soundtrack and memorized most of the songs). The choreography is incredible...dancing AND stunning circus performances combining in perfect harmony. Superb humorous and dramatic acting. All in all, an A+++ show!
Special praise should go to the flawless Patina Miller. From the very first moment her jazz-handed silhouette appears behind the curtain until her last poignant phrase, she lights up the stage. Matthew James Thomas should also be singled out for his outstanding vocals and the ease with which he makes the audience relate to the character of Pippin. And, of course, Andrea Martin shines in her showstopping solo "No Time At All", the most fun I've had in a theatre thanks to the interactive karaoke chorus verses.
A perfect show for anyone! I hope to see it again, and I wish the whole cast and crew a long and sucessful run!

1  Thank Jamie B