“Two-thirds of a Memorable Experience”
Review of Pippin The Musical - CLOSED

Pippin The Musical
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Two-thirds of a Memorable Experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We saw Pippin in its original production, starring Ben Vereen. Although Patina Miller was fine and even won the Tony, her performance pales in comparison. On the other hand, the first act of this version was among the most entertaining hours we've ever spent in a Broadway theatre. The brilliant staging and choreography that merges dance with circus is mesmerizing. Andrea Martin's number is a genuine show-stopper, not to be missed. The problem is that the actual book of the musical is pretty weak, and the momentum of the first act eventually fades during the plot-driven second act. The music is as melodic and terrific as ever. Well-worth the time and money.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank sommerjd

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A Must See”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We saw several shows on our trip and only added Pippin after a trip to the ticket booth on Times Square to fill a gap on one of our afternoons. I am so glad we went to see it. I am no major musical enthusiast but have seen my fair share over the years. Pippin was one of the most creative and dynamic productions I have ever seen on Broadway. The energy of the performers is literally contagious: you will leave the theatre feeling 10 years younger, I promise. Both Patina Miller and Andrea Miller more than deserved their Tony's but virtually everybody else in the cast should have received one too. Diane Paulus truly worked miracles: the circus setting made total sense and perfectly fit the story and message of the play. The finale was truly touching. If you are anywhere near New York: please go and see it.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Klaus P
Bella Vista, Arkansas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Incredible!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

At first, I wasn't really interested in going to see this show but my traveling companion had heard positive reviews so I agreed to go with her and I am so glad I did - it is amazing! It is unlike any other Broadway production I have ever seen.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank NWATraveler0221
New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Funny, entertaining play”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Very funny and visually entertaining play. Music was very nice and not a minute of boredom. This play is perfect for family with kids. The children will enjoy it as much as adults.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jungelmann
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Unexpected Entertainment”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We came to New York to see a few Broadway plays. I honestly wasn't familiar with Pippin, though I had read where it received several Tony nominations (at time of booking). We saw Pippin after Patina Miller received her Tony, and could totally understand why she received it. She was supurb - some of the best we've ever seen. The acrobatics and magic in the show was also amazing. We came not really sure what to expect and thinking another play we were going to see would be our favorite - in fact this was the last of the 3 we booked as we were unsure about it. This is our favorite play to date - including Wicked, which is one of our favorites. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Just loved it!

Visited June 2013