“What Took Us So Long?”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus-Broadway
Transit: 1 train to 66th Street-Lincoln Center 2/3 train to 72nd
Description: For a true Spanish dining experience, visit Andanada. Our two-time, two-star Michelin chef, Manuel Berganza, turns traditional Spanish dishes into works of art, all while remaining true to the flavors of Spain.
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My wife and I dined here this evening. We live but 10 blocks from the restaurant and were shocked that we had never tried this neighbourhood gem as it's open over a year. The restaurant on the lower floor of a brownstone is beautifully designed and decorated with comfortable, amply sized tables. The staff is young but experienced, professional, and well-versed regarding the menu. We started by sharing the paper-thin sliced jambon with tomato toast on the side and were in heaven. We shared the mixed paella (allow 25 minutes for preparation) and we're pleasantly surprised to find the sea food on a bed of flavourful risotto rather then rice. For us this will definitely go on our list of local eateries to be revisited again and again.

There are newer reviews for Andanada

Reviewed December 12, 2013

At 6:30 pm on a cold Wednesday evening, my visiting friend and I arrived with no reservation and had to leave by 7:30 for theater--oh! and we had a service dog with us. They found us a nice table for four in a nice corner to accommodate the dog. Service was most gracious and efficient. We ordered several tapas and two Tempranillos from the wine menu (both were delicious).
Albondigas (meatballs) with a cheese sauce, brussels sprouts with almonds, and the mildish deep-fried pimientos shishito. Pulpo gallega was in a heavenly potato-based sauce which is also great to dip bread into. There was a complimentary glass of gazpacho, a pretty pink color and tasting of peppers and cucumbers. Tigres, mussel croquettes served in their shell on a cream sauce with a tiny cube of pork belly, was superb.
And did I mention the excellent bread and fine intense olive oil?
Or the miniature madeleines that completed our adventure?
Music was, happily, Spanish, mostly guitar, and not obtrusive. Conversation among patrons can raise the noise level, but not excessively.
And we were at the theater in perfect time.
I'll be back.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I thought the restaurant overall had fresh food and some interesting presentations and interpretations of the food but it was uneven. The menu has some Spanish classics and an extensive menu of standard and unique tapas. The Pate de Cabracho, scorpian fish flan topped with cauliflower foam and homemade eggplant caviar was exceptional. Berenjenas Asadas, roasted eggplants with red wine vinegar reduction, hazelnuts and chives would have been better if there were more eggplant and less nuts. Pulpo a la Gallega, octopus seasoned with olive oil and pimienton de vera served under mashed potato puree had lots of puree but not enough octopus. Tabla de Embutidos, a selection of four Iberico sausages served with pan con tomate was delicious with subtle flavors. I would give it another chance because when it was good, it was very good.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a very nice meal at Andanada on a Saturday night, but the acoustics were such that I could barely hear my two companions, and had a sore throat afterwards from raising my voice in an attempt to be heard by them. Esthetically very pleasing (we were in the main middle room with the mural) but not that enjoyable unless you only want to eat. On a better note was the quality of the food - excellent tapas, good paella, better than average sangria - and the very attentive service. If I go back I will ask to be seated at the very entrance, before the bar, where it seemed to be very quiet, although that section did have an air of "Siberia" to it.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We recently went to Andanada to celebrate my partner's birthday with friends. We had recently returned from a trip to Spain, and I thought it would be fun to find a good tapas place on the UWS.

We had a really special night. The tapas were delicious, and the paella was some of the best I've had in NYC. The wine list was thorough, and the decor has a really nice feel.

Our server, José, really went above and beyond to make our evening a great experience. We will be back soon!.