“Hitsville USA”
Review of Motown The Musical on Broadway - MOVED

Motown The Musical on Broadway
More attraction details
Owner description: MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is the real story of the one-of-a-kind sound that hit the airwaves in 1959 and changed our culture forever. This exhilarating show charts Motown Founder Berry Gordy's incredible journey from featherweight boxer to the heavyweight music mogul who launched the careers of Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, and so many more.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I attended the musical of "Motown". The musical story of Berry Gordy music producer and Hitsville USA located in Detroit, Michigan. The musical took you on a musical journey of his various recording stars. Diana Ross, Mary Wells, The Marvelets, Smokey Robinson and other well known stars. The music and performers were very good. They sang with great gusto. If you are in New York City this a great show to see.

1  Thank adeianna

Reviewed March 24, 2013

The music, singing and dancing were fabulous and as expected. The dialogue and plot seemed contrived, forced and slapped together as filler between the songs; more like an afterthought. We brought our daughter in her 20's and we enjoyed it for the talents of the musical performances. The other areas could use some improvement to make it a well rounded show.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

amazing dancing, great music, great performances. If you liked Jersey Boys, you will love this new musical. Like reliving decades of music and integration issues

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I saw Motown the Musical on Broadway last week (during previews) and it was an absolutely fun time! I'm in my 30's and my Mom, who accompanied me, is in her 50's- we both LOVED the show. The music seems timeless and can reach across generations so it's appropriate that the show is family friendly. It would be good for well behaved kids, pre-teens and teens as well as adults of all ages. Everyone in the audience seemed to be enjoying themselves: dancing in their seats, lip synching along, ooh-ing and agh-ing over costumes, wigs & sets and enjoying re-living the moments in music that made Motown personal to us- ah the memories! The music is of course great- Motown meets Broadway!! Overall the acting, singing and dancing were energetic and soulful as well, they sure have a talented cast and crew. The story is interesting and we got to learn about the founder of Motown Records (Berry Gordy's) life story. But I have to say the music was the best part- it was amazing to see the Jackson Five live on stage in addition to: Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and many more... So glad they created this exciting new musical that fun for all ages!! I highly recommend seeing it if you are in NYC!
Info on actual theater space: Seats are a decent size not super bunchy like some theatre houses, they are also staggered so even if someone very tall sits in front of you you can see around them (important for me as I'm short!) The lower level has a larger women's bathroom with many stalls so the wait at intermission wasn't dreadful and the 2 bars/snackbars though "Broadway priced" had a good selection of snacks and beverages: I had a white wine which was good. The merchandise available is fun: tote bags, key chains, and T-shirts with the Motown logo some saying "My Girl" and "My Guy".

1  Thank morgan1999