“Not what I expected”

Breakfast at Tiffany's on Broadway
More attraction details
Owner description: Holly Golightly is the woman every man wants to be with and every woman wants to be. Now, the unforgettable heroine of TRUMAN CAPOTE's master novella, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, comes to the Broadway stage in a world-premiere play starring EMILIA CLARKE (HBO's "Game of Thrones"), CORY MICHAEL SMITH ("The Cockfight Play") and GEORGE WENDT (Norm in "Cheers").
Greenville, North Carolina
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was kind of a let down for me. I'm not a fan of musicals, but I have nothing against live theater. My wife and I were looking into going to a show and decided on this one. I saw the movie a few years back and remembered liking it, so I figured this would be a safe pick. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't have any problems with the acting. It was particularly fun seeing George Wendt in person, and I thought he did a great job in his role. I thought the cast did their jobs well, and my criticism is directed towards the script and direction. Maybe some people like this better, but I'll stick to the classic film version.

In other news, we also had problems with the staff at the Cort Theater. During a large part of the first act, staff members were congregating on the stairs behind the balcony and conversed and laughed loudly. It was very distracting and heavily noticed by the people in our section.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON:

This interpretation deviates from the hollywood movie. Holly doesn't seem quite as niave as the movie, and isn't really redeemable or likable. Fred is apparently bisexual in this version. There is nudity in the second act, and to me, it seemed forced, and there just for sake of being there. In the scene before, Fred was injured from falling off a horse. Next thing you know, they're both getting in a tub.

Visited April 2013

• Greek first
Keswick, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Serious theatre goers only - Hepburn/Peppard - Not!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

A rather interesting take on the novella and certainly not the Hepburn/Peppard Hollywood production. A much more dark interpretation of the novella than the movie and in some ways, closer in spirit to the atmosphere of the period. Could be a bit tedious at times but that is part of the storyline - writers contemplating their existence. Contrary to other reviewers, I enjoyed this more serious intellectual interpretation as much as the flighty/flippant Hollywood production. If you are looking for something entertaining that is a bit more serious/dark, do go see but if you are expecting Hepburn/Peppard, v.2, you will be sorely disappointed. Yes there is brief nudity but big deal - we are more than ten years past Nicole Kidman in the Blue Room and people are still shocked?? What's the problem - there is more skin on tv and in print than the ten seconds of exposure here - prudes and shallow theatre-goers need not apply.

1 Thank CulturedBacillis
Fort Pierce, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Don't waste a night in NYC here!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Horrible! I know there are also bad shows on Broadway, and this is it. Long, boring, over-acted. I wanted to leave at the intermission, but my husband suggested that it might improve. It was worse. The theater-goers near us had the same opinion. With their moans and pans of the play the consensus was unanimous. I could have had my toenails done and had more fun.

2 Thank Cindy1207
ft worth
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Do not see this show!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Actors are very stiff and forced. George Wendt even looked like he felt out of place. Full nude scene of male and female that was not necessary and not disclosed. Had teen daughter with us and was not pleased with this encounter as we had 2nd row seats. Completely added for shock value and not needed. Poor taste and poor acting made for a very disappointing evening.

3 Thank gwizz
Anderson, South Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Good alternative to a musical”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We saw the opening night of this production and enjoyed it. I usually go for musicals on Broadway but this was something a little different and a good contrast. It was a little long but a very cute performance. I would recommend it especially to the serious theater lover.