“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!”

Best Western Premier Herald Square
Ranked #89 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Phoenix, Arizona
“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I booked a three night stay at this hotel when I was running the NYC Marathon. On Saturday night, which was the night before my race, the hotel had a party that was held down in the breakfast area of the lobby. The music was so loud that I called to complain 4 different times. It wasn't until 3 am that the music stopped and I was able to get to sleep. Then to make matters worse the wake up call that I requested for 6 am came at 5 am!! When I woke up to leave the entire 3rd floor smelled like marijuana and it was incredibly smokey. I complained to the front desk the next morning and they said they could not do anything about it. I have called the general manager 6 times to request a refund and he will not take my calls or return my calls. I called Best Western and they are unable to do anything to assist me as all of their hotels are now franchised. There is a lovely Hyatt Place next door so do yourself a favor and stay there instead!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank triciasuz
Sayed A, General Manager at Best Western Premier Herald Square, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
First of all, Congratulation on your NYC Marathon run!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would like to apologize on behalf of the Best Western Premier Herald Square that we did not meet your expectations with our customer service. This is not the standards that our staff hold ourselves to highly too. I can assure you that your comments will be addressed to the correct departments.

Again thank you for your comments. We hope you will give us another chance to show you our redoubled efforts and stay with us again in the future.

In the meantime, Please call me directly @ 212-776-1024, ext: 7155. I am looking forward to discuss the matter with you personally.

Sayed Alam, MBA.,CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kintbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect, right next to the Empire State Building, Times Square and Macy's.
As previous reviewers have mentioned the rooms are quite small but the beds were comfy and the room spotlessly clean.
The complementary breakfast was a nice extra.
Overall a good for value clean hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I would probably like to start by saying that the hotel is good, but there is no rating of good, so have chosen average. The main reason why I give it average is is due to the tiny rooms.
Spent 6 nights recently at Best Western Premier in mid Oct. Hotel is in a great location - close to Macy's, Penn Station, Empire State, lots of eating places.
Hotel is reasonably new & very clean. Employees are helpful with directions etc & pleasant to deal with.
Rooms are extremely small. There was no place to keep our 2 suitcases & had to walk like a crab to get around the bed. Not sure if all the room sizes are the same. The room had a very comfortable king size bed, which almost took the entire room size. I have stayed at other NY hotels & know that rooms are small but this room was the smallest I have ever stayed in. Other than the room size, our stay was good.
Breakfast provided was sufficient with plenty of seating. I can imagine during peak times that people would need to wait for tables. There was one morning that we had to wait less than 5 min for a table, the people vacating the table left all their rubbish, so I politely asked them would they like me to put it in the garbage for them, they quickly turned around & put it in the rubbish themselves. I think they expected the staff to clear it for them! What is wrong with some people? The staff looking after the breakfast room did a good job & replenished supplies as required. We only had cereal, toast & yoghurt, but noticed some hot dishes as well.
My hubby made use of the exercise equipment & said it was modern & in good condition.
They also have a computer with a printer which is handy for boarding passes, directions etc, which I made use off. Free wifi was good, though at times was a little slow.
I would recommend this hotel to friends, but would make them aware that rooms are very small.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MelbourneKaren67
Vandalia, Ohio
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Personnel were efficient, not overly friendly, but just fine. Our room was sort of small; but, adequate. Location is within a few blocks of Empire State Building, Times Square, et al. and, subway station is only a block away. Nice patio in front which is perfect for people watching. The real bonus is the comprehensive breakfast buffet w/ donuts, sausage or bacon, scrambled eggs, cereals, juices, coffee, etc. Beds were super fluffy and comfy. Coffeemaker in room; but, no fridge.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The ONLY bad thing I can say about this hotel is that there was some early morning noise due to construction next door. That's it! The beds are SUPER comfy, it is located in a convenient area, breakfast is great with hot foods, free wifi, what more can you ask for! Front desk staff are super helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sayed A, General Manager at Best Western Premier Herald Square, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback of our Best Western Premier Herald Square. It's a pleasure to know you enjoyed some of the features and amenities we are so proud of. We impressed and proud of our staff and it is great to hear that they are delivering excellent service and providing superb cleanliness guests can expect while staying with us.

We do however, apologize for the noise due to the construction next door to our hotel. Please ask for the room in the back of the hotel on your next visit.

Looking forward to welcoming you back with us. Again, big thanks
WPG, MB
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Didn't realize how good the location was until we got there. Great for taking the subway because your right by Herald Square station.

Breakfast was okay and we didn't find the eating area overly crowded although some reviews have commented on this. In New York there are lots of people everywhere, all the time, so if you think the breakfast area is crowded wait until you take the subway at 8am Monday morning.

Extremely clean rooms. Smaller but we completely expected that. It was a great place to start and end busy days in New York.

Staff were nice and helpful. They booked us a taxi/town car to the airport which arrived right on time. We had some issues with gift cards being processed at first but the staff fixed the problem within a few days of returning home.

When I return to New York I will stay here again. The hotel value was great. $250 a night for a room in midtown Manhattan is a good price!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheKingsLady
We appreciate your feedback and review of our hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. Our staff stives to provide a great experience for our guests. . Our location is unsurpassed and we are please that our location met your expectations.

Thank you and we look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again.
connecticut
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here to see a show at MSG - perfect location to go to and from Gran Central, Hell's Kitchen, etc. New hotel, clean and nicely decorated. Breakfast included, but can't comment on quality since we didn't go. Small but not boutique style hotel. Very small room, but that doesn't bother me since I'm there to do things out of my room. Only slight problem: elevators sometimes very busy and noisy in hallway! I expect the street noise........

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
How kind of you to share your thoughts on the Trip Advisor. Truly delighted to read that we met your expectations and we hope to see you again soon.