“Great pre-theater lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Pulperia

La Pulperia
Reserve with OpenTable
La Pulperia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,034 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Latin, South American, Seafood, Spanish, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 8th and 9th Avenues
Description: Pulperia is a Rustic Latin and Seafodd bistro located on New York City's famous Restaurant Row, 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue. The restaurant boasts a flavorful, rustic menu by Chef Carlos Barroz who specializes in cuisines spanning from Mexico to Argentina. Be adventurous in the bar's extensive collection of Latin Spirits, and delight in our inventive mixology cocktail menu that plays a twist on traditional Latin drinks, like the Pisco Sour. Enjoy a seat at the fresh seafood Raw Bar, tapas at the main bar or a romantic dinner at a tucked-away table. The restaurant is located near the Theatre District and all the great sights of Midtown, proving an easy and perfect beginning or end to any NYC evening.
Long Island, NY
“Great pre-theater lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We arrived at noon, and lingered over a wonderful lunch. Service was attentive and helpful in making our selections. It was hard to choose among many interesting cocktails....I had the one wth mescal, delicious.. I ordered the homemade pasta with short ribs, which was very good. The appetizer size was perfect for lunch. We also had the salmon tartar appetizer, which was very unusual and tasty. This restaurant is a very good addition to restaurant row.

• Visited March 2014

Torrington, Connecticut
“Very friendly staff and great pisco sours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We visited during the rush period before the 8PM curtain on Saturday. Although very busy the staff never seemed rushed and were warm and caring. We had cerviche mixto-good mix of squid, scallops and a few shrimp. DH had the fish ribs, didn't know what they were but enjoyed them. Very moist and meaty. I had a small plate of the lobster tacos. Great combination of flavorings. And the pisco sours-took me back to Peru!

Visited March 2014
Rockville, Maryland, United States
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

The restaurant is located in the heart of "restaurant alley" in the theater district and is a very small, cosy place. The cocktails are inventive and delicious. If you are adventurous and like spicy, try the El Chilango cocktail that contains Pulperia's signature hot sauce. The seafood is outstanding at this restaurant, especially the cevice, but also the Brazilian seafood stew. The raw bar is extensive. Also of note is the braised beef that is so tender, no knife is required. Atmosphere is intimate, the service is excellent and the prices are reasonable for the excellent food quality offered.

• Visited January 2014
Bridge City, Texas
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Selected this restaurant based on the other reviews, and they were spot-on! Salmon brûlée was interesting and delicious! Drinks were heavenly! The fish ribs with coconut rice were wonderful! Ordered flan, the very friendly manager brought us two desserts! Both were the perfect finish to our meal! Non touristy, a little noisy! Great experience for our taste buds!

boston
“One of the most unique dining experiences ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I don't usually write restaurant reviews, with Yelp and TripAdvisor there are so many out there. However this restaurant deserves another accolade.

We were seated quickly for our 7:00 reservation. Very small so you definitely need a res. It took a bit to get our menus, we weren't in a rush. A waiter brought it over and apologized, he said that happens too much, he was very apologetic, and it seems that they are truly paying attention to any mentions of this in reviews.

Drinks: OH MY! Like others have mentioned the drinks are simply so unique. I would call the bartender a mixologist. Both of our drinks had passion fruit and you could really taste it. Mine had a little foam which stayed put through my entire sipping of it. As did the sprinkle of cinnamon, so I could smell it with every sip but it was not overpowering.

We ordered and Victor (everyone's best friend LOL!) came over and said we did a great job of ordering, but he had one problem. Huh? We didn't order the salmon brulee. The empanadas are good he said, but you really need to try the salmon brulee, and if you don't like it then I will bring your empanadas. He was so passionate about this, we said "OK!" and thank goodness we did!!

OH MY GOD. I am a little sad because I will never taste this again, unless I go back! I am usually very hesitant of tartare I don't eat it generally. This was amazing. It actually tasted like a brulee, the crunch, the sweetness combined with the salmon which was outstanding and did not have that "raw fish" taste that scares me!

ENTREES: My husband had the sangria braised short ribs, so tender and flavorful and I had the fish ribs with coconut rice. AGAIN, I am sad! I will never have this again unless I go back! The fish ribs were unlike anything I've ever eaten. Very meaty, when I saw the rib casing of the bones I said oh my God a river monster fish! The glaze was delicious (orange chipotle bbq).

DESSERT: We let Victor pick for us, since he hit such a home run with the salmon! We had a plate of mini cookies with salted caramel in the middle served with a Peruvian fruit ice cream I wish I knew the name of the fruit! It was soooo good! Along with coffees with brandy.

The waiter who had brought our menus got my coat for me and put it on for me and apologized again for the initial tiny delay. NO NEED, the food speaks for itself., as do the drinks, and most importantly the caring, passion and ZEST of all who work here. But again it showed the level of care and concern and for that La Pulperia get extra points from me!

Again, I am sad! I was describing the meal to my dad and he said "so we can't get that here" and I said...right. :(

Had we not been so full and satisfied from this amazing dinner we would have gone back for brunch the next day!

GO!