“Amazing deal, amazing service!”
Review of 1742 Wine Bar

1742 Wine Bar
Ranked #4,705 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely restaurant. We made reservations and got the voucher which was an amazing deal! An appetizer, two entrees, with a wine flight of both red and white wine. The staff was so professional and great and so attentive. The restaurant is small but I don't see that as a negative thing. It gives the staff the opportunity to pay close attention to details. We did not feel like second class citizens because every table next to us also had a voucher from living social. We did feel rushed at all like other restaurants sometimes do. The wine flights also were generous glasses and the wine was not cheap house wine either. The food was delicious and we left happy with a full stomach and white wine bottle. Overall, great service and great food, definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I got a groupon to go to this wine bar for a wine tasting (three reds and three whites), an appetizer, a meal and a take-home wine.

The place is really small and packed so once we were seated the wine tasting began which can feel a bit pressured but for all the wine there was to taste it was understandable.

Food: We had the skirt steak and the chicken with asparagus, both were EXCELLENT!!! The asparagus was still nice and crispy even under that pasta sauce, YUM!

SERVICE: Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable and although things did move quickly, she made it quite comforting.

We got to take home a wine, they already have it determined which one you can take but you do get to choose between either the red or white.

It is a CASH ONLY place (which is weird now-a-days) but there is an ATM in the restaurant and a Chase Bank less than two blocks away.

Overall, we had a great experience and we would definitely return again.

1  Thank MsServando
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I live across the way at Rupper Towers. I bought the Groupon to take a friend out for her birthday. We sat at the bar and asked the bartender/part owner what was good. He suggested the Shrimp Fra Diavolo and Strip steak. Well my friend and I are both cooks and the shrimp fra diavolo tasted like Chef Boyardi!! and my friends steak was tough. We told the bartender and part owner who was apologetic and gave us a birthday drink on the house. Wine was okay not great so all in all it was fun but not because of the food.

1  Thank citibuni724
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Don't be influenced by appearance. It's a small, unassuming location. Nothing fancy. But, it's quaint, with out-of-towners, locals, etc. Great pics of Italian actresses. Nice music. We did an offer...2 antipastos, 2 entrees, 6 wine tastings each, and a bottle of wine to take home. The antipasto was simply cheeses, meats, olives, and bread. Actually, it reminded of traveling in Europe. Usually we get something different and share; but, my date and I each wanted the shrimp fra diavolo, which was excellent. The sauce was wonderful, and a sufficient number of shrimp. I loved the waitstaff. They took time to explain the wines to anyone who was interested. They checked in as appropriate. We were unrushed...two hours even though people were waiting. Too full...no dessert. But, the tartufo and hazelnut coffees at the table next to us were quite tempting. Would definitely go back...even without an offer!!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I found what I thought was a great deal on groupon. It was a big mistake... I arrived to the restaurant at 7:15 for a 7:30 dinner. Unfortunetly I am on crutches, the manager came over to me and said the table will be ready at about 7:45. He also let me know he is not able to provide a seat for me. He told me I can go next door to the bar and maybe they will have a seat for me untill the table is ready. About 20 min later, he did provide me with a chair. The server was pleasent, the food so bad. I guess what I thought was a good deal, we got what we paid for. Wine bad food bad... I can only say DONT GO!!!

1  Thank LDB277