“Great atmosphere, beer, and food”
Review of The Keg Room

The Keg Room
Ranked #271 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: The Keg Room is an up-scale casual American-Irish Bar and Restaurant located in New York City. Opened by Mary and Joe Carty on December 3rd, 2012. It is a welcoming and exciting place with beautiful Celtic decor. Its center rectangular island offers three of its sides to its patrons, becoming one of the largest bars in New York City (over 100 feet long.) With 48 beers on draft, 40 bottle beers, several rotating seasonal beers, an enjoyable delicious food menu and 25+ TV screens complemented with four large screen projectors. The Keg Room is an ideal place to hold your next group-event whether it's a fundraiser, birthday, retirement, holiday or corporate parties. The Keg Room is conveniently located in the heart of New York City (36th Street, between 6th and 5th Avenues.) If you are staying in New York City, there are five hotels on our street and several others within walking distance. If shopping brings you to the Big Apple, The Keg Room is only a block away from MACY'S, Lord & Taylor, and several others stores in Herald Square. For the sport and concert fans, the Madison Square Garden is located within walking distance (two blocks away from us). For a taste of New York, we are a short distance from The Empire State Building and Bryant Park Parking couldn't be any more convinient... Right Next Door To Us! Several other Parking Facilities in our immediate area.
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Doesn't look much from outside, but opens out into a huge well laid-out bar with tables st the rear. Staff are consistently friendly, helpful and there are plenty of them.
Wide range of beers and good food menus - all freshly cooked to order and seriously above average pub food.
I would recommend to anyone in the area.
TripAdvisor please note your map pin is way off - the bar is along W 36th, nearer the 6th Ave end

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had some drinks there before our reservation was due in a restaurant in the very same street (Keens Steakhouse). They have this huge selection of beers from all over the world, coming in fancy and personalized glasses. We were there during happy hour, so the atmosphere was very lively! Love it!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The good news is the bar & seating areas are large so you won't feel cramped. TV's are located thoughout the bar for sports fans. Also, received a nice friendly welcome upon entering. Things went pretty much down hill from there.

It was early evening on the Saturday before Christmas. The bar was empty. Ordered a Guinness & the baked cod entree. The Guinness was good. (Never had a bad one actually.) The bartender puts down a plate with fried fish on it. Turns out he has the order wrong. No biggie. He leaves & returns with the correct order. I finish my beer. Bartender comes by & returns with a Samuel Adams or something other than Guinness. Fine. I tell him about it. He corrects his mistake.

At this point his incompetence is becoming rather entertaining. This guy is clearly having issues. We laugh about it. Another bartender comes over and tells me it's his 2nd day or whatever. No problem. I'd already decided this is not where I want to spend the night drinking anyway. I close the tab & tip him close to 30% in cash. Yes, his service was horrible. No, he wasn't the most personable of bartenders. But, it's the Saturday prior to Christmas. I'm not going to ruin my night over it. I go elsewhere & forget about it.

Which I had, right up until my credit statement came in. While matching receipts, I find he overcharged my receipt by $10 dollars. I guess he felt he was worth more than 30% for two beers & an entree. So I call the bar & get the manager/owner. Mary Carty I believe she said her name was. I explain that her employee charged my card an additional 10 dollars above the signed receipt. She apologizes up & down. She is going to take care of it right away. Tells me I'll see a credit within 48 hrs. Yeah right. 10 days go by. No credit refund for the stolen amount. Call again. Explain situation. Ask for manager by name. I'll get her I'm politely told. Minutes later I'm told she can't take the call. Now I'm miffed, as there is no excuse for any of this.

So I have made a copy of the receipt & sent it to my credit card company to dispute the additional charges. A lot of aggro for 10 bucks. Moral of the story: CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS CLOSELY IF YOU EAT/DRINK HERE!! Consider this a rip off alert. Buyer beware.

All that aside, the Keg Room would not have been getting anymore of my business anyway, even without the flagrant rip attempt. Far better choices exist in the immediate area. One, which has better prices, service, atmosphere, & much larger beer menu, is less than one block down 36st street on the other side of 5th Ave. No problems. Time in NYC goes to fast to waste it.

6  Thank DrunkenYank
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed around the corner in the Metro Hotel in 35th Street. At 1st you couldn't see the sign and there is a massive car park sign obscuring The Keg Room sign. Get a bigger sign!
This is a lively pub with a fantastic vibe. Of the 4 nights that we stayed in New York we ate 3 times in here. They have 2 projector screens and 22 tv around the bar area. The food is of very good quality. In fact we were too stuffed to have a pudding. They have a good selection of beers too. The staff are very friendly and helpful. This is certainly a place to eat, drink and relax after a long day sight seeing. For those who like a long drink, they are open until 4 a.m

2  Thank Mark H
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stumbled in after a huge meal up the road at Keens. Stayed a lot longer than we intended. Great bar, great beer menu. Very open and spacious. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. If you are in the area and after a drink… this is the place!

2  Thank justinw1972