“Awesomeness”

Ranked #6,628 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 20, 2013

According to me, this is the best vegetarian place in NYC. They have a really good menu, do try this place out. I will definitely visit again just for Otarian :)

1  Thank Viji R
There are newer reviews for Otarian

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Quick friendly service and fantastic food. Menu has a good selection, the tex-mex burger was great and prices were reasonable

1  Thank peche025
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I used to eat often at the Hell's Kitchen branch of Otarian b4 the place was shut down by the Board of Health for a few weeks last year. That kind of closure is especially disturbing at a place like Otarian that represents itself as a 'healthfood' restaurant, & I hesitated about going back when it re-opened, but recently a friend of mine talked me into it, & I'm glad I went back ... the food was wonderful. I admit the closing creeped me out for awhile, & the public certainly has a right to know that Otarian was briefly closed for health violations, but I hear that restaurants once closed like that must undergo rigorous inspections in order to re-open & continued inspections afterwards, so I feel ok about eating there again. They've added a tasty Tofu Bahn Mi sandwich & a gr8 Kale Salad to their already large selection of wraps, sandwiches, salads & other delicious vegetarian food. They had another NYC branch down in Greenwich Village, but that one closed last year too due to 'water problems' & never re-opened as far as I know. I guess Otarian had a bad year, but I hope they make it.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I came across this place by chance whilst hot and flustered at lunchtime whilst on vacation in NY and whilst my 2 year old in his stroller was having a tantrum. The very nice lady working there was really kind to me and smiling and waving at my son to distract him...which may not sound much, but when you are a parent you really appreciate this kind of thing.
And the food - it was awesome. I am a fussy vegetarian yet there was (for a small café) a good amount of choice all of which sounded mouthwatering. I went back for dinner on the day I discovered it and for lunch the next day. My non-vegetarian husband also ate there and loved the food. The 3 meals I had were delicious, very filling and healthy and great value for money too.
I had mixed experiences in shops and cafes in NY, some people were nice and some were kind of moody. But the two people on the counter on the three occasions that I went in were really nice and friendly.
So....great food, great value, great service, and great toddler-distracting.
If I go back to NY I will probably eat here every day!

1  Thank LouLouLouey
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Finding vegan dining in New York is not very hard, this being a major city with thousands of restaurants. This place was really great though. We need more places like this, dedicated to a sustainable future with only organic, vegetarian products. For non-vegans there were also vegetarian options. The spinach-potato burger was excellent.

Only con was perhaps the lack of a calm atmosphere for dining at the restaurant, though not a major drawback that should stop you from trying out this great place. Recommended!

1  Thank Christoffer L