“Stunning performance”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Stunning performance”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I think I have seen Cabaret four times or so, but when I heard Alan Cumming was back as the emcee, I had to come back too, and lucky for me I had to be in NY on business. Pay for the floor seats at the tables, it is worth it. The obstructed view seats were all that I could get my hands on and I was a bit concerned but they were much better than watching it from the mezzanine, and there were only a few bits I had to crouch down to see. From the decadence and fun of the first half to the tense second act, I won't say more in case you don't know the story, but no matter how many times I see it apparently, it never fails to move me. Don't miss it while Cumming is still there, he is perfection. (Sidenote - apparently not for the easily offended. The five elderly midwestern tourists adjacent to me were apparently quite upset that Cumming showed his "bottom" and did not come back for the second act. Bless their hearts, not sure what they thought they were going to see.)

Visited June 2014
4 Thank nolazona

• Korean first
Rochester, NY
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“They finally let me into Studio 54!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Believe me, I'd never have gotten into 54 in the days when Truman and Andy hung out there.
What a treat to see it as the Kit Kat Klub, though, and to enjoy the pretense of being just another degenerate visiting a sleazy cabaret! I have to disagree with another reviewer about Michelle Williams. Sally Bowles is described in the book as barely being able to sing or dance; Liza Minelli was completely miscast in the role. Michelle Williams brought a fragility to Sally, and a level of desperation that I'd not seen before, and her tiny stature emphasized that. Freulein Schmidt and Herr Schulz were both wonderful, showing the depth of emotion and hope that middle-aged romance can bring. At first I thought that Alan Cummings started out a bit slowly, and then realized that he had to have somewhere to build to during the performance. He couldn't come out swinging from the first moment, and where he got to by the end was breath-taking.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank lioncloud
Perth, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Brilliant Alan Cummings !”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

What can I say other than Alan Cummings was superb as emcee - sadly show slightly let down by Michelle Williams who does not portray Sally Bowles well and whose voice is distinctly lacking for the final Cabaret song. But worth it to see AC in full flood -even better than his portrayal of Eli Gold in The Good Wife !!

3 Thank ScottishLWL
Swindon, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“All is Beautiful in The Kit Kat Club!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous experience to see Cabaret on Broadway while in New York. Alan Cummings was born to this part. It is hard to imagine anybody carrying the role off so well. Overall the show was excellently produced and directed. The theatre itself was very ornate and added to the decadence. Drinks were a little pricey but you could take them to your seats. We sat on the mezzanine which offered great views. The seated tables in The Kit Kat Club must have been truly spectacular. Highly recommended.

Austin, Texas, United States
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“My favorite this visit to NY”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The show was captivating from before it began with the waitstaff in role to the very last note. I was taken with Michelle Williams. She has a presence that evoked other female leads from that era for me like Hepburn or Channing. I was thrilled to get tickets and I am ready to see it again if it keeps playing. Alan Cumming is absolutely the bomb. What a way to begin my theatre filled weekend!

2 Thank Michelle B