“a very competent guide”

Jared the NYC Tour Guide
Ranked #159 of 644 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Passion, energy, intelligence, intensity! Discover NYC's innovations, sights, surprises, history, architecture, beauty. Have a memorable and fun time. I seek to be the highlight of your voyage, with excellent service, and true dramatic storytelling. Good for all ages. Become a confident honorary New Yorker with me.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

That was a very interesting and funny and very individual tour. Now i can say. I´m a NewYorker. I can recommend this.

1  Thank Didi D
JaredTheNYCTourGuide, Owner at Jared the NYC Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

D.D.: It was a pleasure touring with you for two days!

I hope your goal of using touring to improve your English language skills worked. I remember us writing down notes for vocabulary and idioms (sayings).

It was fun touring with a Graphic Artist who likes architecture and urban planning. The first day we experienced Bushwick or East Williamsburg to look at graffiti and a diverse neighborhood in transition. Then we walked through hip Williamsburg all the way to Polish food in Greenpoint.

Day 2 we went to Harlem where three local people that I know spontaneously shared so much about their personal and professional lives in Harlem. We experienced soul food, all sorts of neighborhoods, theaters, a mosque, churches, a library, and a blues club and a jazz club both of which have been around for 40-70 years. I also shared stories about my work in Harlem from my non-profit housing days. We also experienced a couple of local characters like Otis Houston, Jr who performs with fruit.

D.D., please visit again!

Best regards,

Jared your NYC Tour Guide

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I had a quick 1 1/2 day window to visit NYC. We live in Truckee/Lake Tahoe (tourist area) and consistently see visitors flail and waist time in trying to enjoy our area. We wanted to maximize and enjoy our limited time, and found Jared via extensive web search. We picked a winner! Jared is Extremely knowledgable, personable, and flexible. We started our tour in Greenwich Village and we saw so many great, obscure, off the beaten track places we could not have found ourselves in months of wandering. Jareds knowledge of the history, architecture, people was impressive.
We will definitely have Jared show us around again on our next NYC adventure.

Jared-the-Tourguide, Owner at Jared the NYC Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Pete, thank you so much for taking the time to write this recommendation for me.

It is especially meaningful because you work in tourism at a high-level position at a luxury resort.

I value making the most of my guests' precious time in NYC. My goal is to go beyond providing an optimal tour experience but to help you make the most of your time in NYC after our time together is done.

I have never left someone to get lost!

My goal is to empower you to find whatever else you planned to see, and didn't even know to plan to see until you got my customized recommendations.

Most importantly, we had a great time together! It was a lot of fun. I hope to see you two again soon!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I got a tour from Jared over Christmas 2012, while we stayed in NYC. My guy adores all things John Lennon, and Jared did a terrific job of designing a personal tour for us with the theme "Walking in the footsteps of Lennon." Jared is an expert in all things NYC, including John Lennon. We trecked around the City and stopped at all of Lennon's old haunts and got a thoroughly enjoyable and informative experience that was well worth the money. Jared was such a blast to be with. He's funny, unbelievably informed about NYC - not only John Lennon, but also an expert on the architecture and the history, with so many amusing stories. Thank you, Jared. You are TERRIFIC!!!

Kathy, what a pleasure it was to show you and your BF around John Lennon's beloved NYC: Where he worked and where he enjoyed himself, and we explored why he chose NYC to experience some of the magic ourselves.

I love creating custom tours, and yours was a highlight.

Thank you for taking the time to write and visiting my beloved NYC.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I’ve followed Jared the tour guide on both a van tour of Christmas lights in this dazzling city, and on a walk through the early New York neighborhoods where Santa Claus’ legends and looks took root in centuries past. Each in its own way was a wonderful holiday memory.

For a van full of tourists from different countries, Jared was an enthusiastic, and very knowledgeable, guide. By the end of the tour, we saw beyond what we expected. The architectural detail of a once-central railway hub, the history of the different peoples who settled neighborhoods, a view of the city from a particular vista – all made the tour memorable. Jared’s enthusiasm, humor, and quick responses to our questions impressed me. He loves his city and he loves telling you why.

Most recently, a friend and I took a subway/walking tour with Jared centered on the early places in lower Manhattan where the English, Dutch, and German settlers unpacked their traditions of St. Nicholas in their new city. Jared has researched the eras, the different ideas about Santa Claus, and how these holiday concepts reflected the overall settlement and growth of the city now so closely associated with Christmastime. This tour, with its chance to have a real dialogue with Jared, was another New York highlight for me. Jared challenges you to imagine the characters and enterprises around the original Wall of Wall Street, the settlers living within the sounds of the bells of Trinity Church. Think, he asks, of a newly-arrived immigrant looking up at the City Hall of their new home city. Watch the faces and dress of St. Nicholas change through early New York artistic interpretations and media drawings – some with very unsaintly political meanings. Who knew? We did, after two hours with Jared the tour guide.

Tours and guides in New York’s busy tourist industry are numerous and hard to distinguish from among all those you see in the ads, brochures, and online bombardments. I feel fortunate to have discovered a guide who wants my visit to New York to be fun, informative, and enriching – thanks, Jared.

Martha Skelton
Richmond, Va.

Martha, what a pleasure it is to tour with someone so passionate, fun, curious, and knowledgeable!

My Santa's NYC Tour is a special labor of love for me that uniquely goes into NYC history for the past 200 years. We saw so many meaningful neighborhoods and lovely sights.

It means a lot to me that you have toured with me twice, once with a larger group on a more general Holiday Lights Tour, and that you returned for a private tour.

Thank you for your pictures!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I first toured with Jared the Tour Guide in 2009 for a Holiday Lights tour. We had our choice between two buses and two drivers. We went with Jared, whose enthusiasm was abundantly apparent before we even boarded. In 2012, we went back for his Santa Claus tour, a custom tour that took us all over Manhatten. As a frequent visitor to New York since the mid-70s when I lived there for a month for a January term class, I thought I knew the city very well, but Jared took us to places we had never been. We did the tour via subway, which was a great way to travel. On rides between stops, he regaled us with historical facts, myths and legends, anecdotes, and personal experiences about the city. As English majors, we were particularly happy to visit Pete's Tavern and see the booth Washington Irving frequented.

Elaine, thank you so much for taking the time to recommend me and my tours, and for remembering me after all these years and looking me up for a private tour.

It was wonderful to experience where Washington Irving lived and visited and how O. Henry wrote "Gift of the Magi" in Pete's Tavern. We also experienced literature and poetry and artwork from several other writers and artists who helped make Santa Claus the icon we all know around the world, and much of it happened in NYC!

We also went into the surprising politics of Santa Claus. It is a real passion of mine to discover such unusual facts and tie them together in an experience through times and places. Touring with someone interested and interesting like you is a pleasure.

Thanks for visiting NYC.