“The Bar was awesome”
Review of El Toro Blanco

El Toro Blanco
Reserve with OpenTable
El Toro Blanco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,739 of 14,530 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: 6th Ave and Downing St.
Transit: A/C/E @ West 4th Street B/D/F/M @ West 4th Street 1 @ Houston Street
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Only went to the Tequilla Bar, the bartender was awesome and very informative, the drinks where worth the money,

2  Thank DMO68

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Maybe we went in on the wrong day, maybe again the second time...there will be no third. Too bad, we live in SoHo and eat out 4-5 days a week. We really hoped this New Mexican joint that took over former Sam Barri's Stakehouse would be good. While the bartender tried to save the day, he couldn't overcome the smug attitudes of the rest of the servers and staff around him. Happy Hour on a Friday, around 5:30pm several staff members were doing a private tasting and had 1/2 the bar surrounded. We kindly asked if we could sit, drink and eat and you would have thought we rained on their parade. Two barely moved out of the way, while the bearded one leaned on my wife seamingly pissed we took his space, go figure, a paying customer wanted to use the bar?!?! The crazy part, the girl pouring the drinks looked like a Manager and wasn't attentive enough to realize they were losing business because of this. Who does training during happy hour? That said, the first time we visited, we got the same vibe. It seems like they have more staff than patrons. That said, we know it takes time to weed out the attitude, so maybe we will try again this summer...maybe. PS we didn't eat, so this post is mainly for the drinks and staff.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Went to El Toro Blanco for lunch on a Saturday. Didn't have many expectations, but was very positively surprised.
Being slightly hung over, I went for the Bloody MAry, which could have been a little bit more spicy, and then ordered empanadas, pork belly tacos and shrimp tacos. Absolute perfection and just what I needed.
Also had a lobster salad that was so fresh and crisp.
I'm sure there are other great modern Mexican establishments in NY that can give you a cheaper meal, but this was very very good food. Fresh produce and good service.
Will definitely be on my list for next time as well, and seems like a great place to gather up your friends, have some tasty food and discuss what happened the night before :)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you read my reviews you know I'm allergic to Peppers but also like really good tequila.
At El Toro Blanco they got them both right while making us feel welcomed and cared for.
Great place for drinks, dinner or snacks.
Patrick was behind the bar and Olivia was our server, if you're lucky enough to meet them say hi from me!

1  Thank rbwessel
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great atmosphere, great neighborhood and tons of fun. I have a week spot for Mexican food but this place did it right in every way. My favorite is the swordfish and the guacamole of course!