“Hahahahahaha what a joke!!!!”
Review of Back Forty West - CLOSED

Back Forty West
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: SoHo
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Ok so the bar looks decent but the bartender has the mixology knowledge of an abstinent Buddhist monk.

THE BACKYARD! you're basically invited to sit in this establishment's trash can. Dirty, broken moldy benches. You get live music from the AC/generator/ice box = I really don't know, something was generating too many decibels for sanity. There was so much green painted around that my brown shoes reflected a grassy color! Seriously, that experience was surreal, I seriously though my drink was spiked.

Take your business elsewhere, I don't see why you'd have to put up with all this and still pay good money for it. Perfect place to recommend to your much hated in-laws.

There are newer reviews for Back Forty West

Reviewed June 20, 2011

When my husband heard Savoy was closing, he was so upset. One of our favorite restaurants in NYC for many years. He made reservations for the last night, Saturday 06/18/11. Wanted to go out in style, with the best of them. We could only secure a late reservation 945pm, no problem for a Saturday night. We arrived and was advised, our table wasn't ready yet, directed to the bar, which was filthy, wet marks all over the place. And that was because there no no napkins. I guess they figured since they're closing why bother ordering bar napkins? Once seated, it was like turn and burn, so much food was dumped at once there was no room for anything. The server didn't even bother explaining what each item was? Nothing was good, a few things, were just plain bad. Now I know why they're going out of business. The food and service were horrible, not the old Savoy we'd remembered, SAD. They are going to reopen in September, but they wont see us ever again!

1  Thank 60763Dee
Reviewed April 8, 2011

In Soho are many places but these one is a special one. It reminded us of being in Europe when we saw the menu. My husband and our two teens love to eat lean and not salty. Well they rabbit a cholesterolfriendly meat ( lots of europeans eat duck or rabbit or game)
Very good and they had the right wine. Even for pickey eaters.

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Our waiter was snotty and a bit rude. The menu lacked in variety and even with reservations FAR in advance they sat us next to the drafty front door despite having room upstairs and room by the fireplace farther back in the restaurant. Dirty dishes sat on our table for ages and I had to flag down a server twice to ask for some more water.

Just really unimpressed. Sad that of our 3 dinners in NYC we wasted one meal here.

Reviewed February 8, 2011

My husband and I were extremely disappointed with our dining experience at The Savoy. We went there to celebrate our anniversary. It was rated as one of the Top Ten romantic restaurants in NYC (upstairs recommended). We went to its website and looked at the dinner menu posted. Shrimp and scallop dishes were exactly what we wanted and we anticipated a splendid dinner at a romantic restaurant. Unfortunately, the dinner menu at the restaurant did not include the shrimp and scallop dishes we were so looking forward to. No top shelf Myers Rum or Chivas Regal available and Cabernet Sauvignon was not served by the glass. When we asked for bread we received an icy response from the waitress. You see, bread is not ordinarily served at the tables, even when one orders soup. The food was good but the portions were diminutive considering the prices charged. Whenever a chef/owner and staff have the attitude that it is a privilege to dine at their establishment, it is a place to avoid.