“Sketchy”

Ranked #47 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Oxnard, California
“Sketchy”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here only because I let my cousin plan our trip.
Never again will I stay here!
My impression of it is it is a house/ apartment turned hotel.
It's a hole in the wall, to enter you must put a pin in. No elevator just stairs , it's maybe 4 levels.
The rooms however were nice and big ! Nice size bathroom, we had a kitchenette which was nice.
Too unsafe for my taste.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Adri A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My colleague and I reserved this hotel for a work trip. I showed up at 9:30am on Monday, knowing check-in was at 3pm, but hoped (in vain) that I could leave my bags while I went to the convention center to setup my booth.

9:30AM - doors are locked, lights are off. I call the hotel number. No answer. I press the buzzer for an attendant. No response. I call 4 times. I leave a voicemail after hearing a standard fare "Hotel Five44 agents are busy..." message. My call has not been returned.

9:45AM - I give up in futility after not reaching anyone and walk my bags to the convention center and begin setting up for the conference.

11:30AM (Note: this is 30 minutes after the check out time, so SOMEONE should be there) - I call again from the conference booth. No answer. I make alternative last-minute reservations with another hotel. I check in to that hotel without issue.

2:45PM - I call the booking agency (hotels dot com). After explaining, they call the hotel. Shockingly, the hotel answers their call. The booking agency refuses to service the refund, claiming cancellation window policies, despite the extenuating and involuntary circumstances.

3:02PM - As I'm finishing up the call with the booking agency with a disappointing (lack of) resolution, I receive a phone call from an anonymous NYC based number. I do not answer the call because I'm still speaking with the agent. The caller does not leave a voicemail. I look up the number and find it's assocated with "Manhattan Management Group, LLC" - a generic sounding name if I've ever heard one. I can only assume this was the "hotel" returning my call. This was their only effort to contact me, despite being a "no show" from their standpoint.

The booking agency still refuses to offer a full refund. This hotel is a scam and has likely taken several thousands of dollars from unsuspecting travelers.

*** AVOID THIS "HOTEL" ***

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank Aaron B

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

mumbai,india
Reviewed May 25, 2013

these are great service apartments located close to times square,the heart of manhattan and new york tourist area. Just about a 10 min walk from central park too. decent location for the price, very very clean, well maintained, has a kitchenette for breakfast or other meals you may wish to cook, good free wifi make this a good hotel for couples and young travellers. rooms cleaned very regularly. There is Fernando who was very nice, and will help you out when you check in with the passcodes for entry, wifi passwords etc, but thats about all. theres isnt really much other support in this place.

rooms are smallish but expect that in manhattan. I am just about touching 5ft 6in and the beds in the room were just right for me. A taller person would have his feet sticking out so watch out for this.

Please note there are no elevators here and we had rooms on the 4th flloor, so good to be fit if you are staying here. While the location is really good with respect to the tourist spots and is reasonably close to the subway, this is not really a family place. There is construction around the property, a salvation army hostel kinda place opposite and 11th avenue which is down the road is the beginning of the trucker zone and warehouse area. So all in all, good for younger couples, and single people, but not really a great place for families or older people.

Some people have comment that the property is difficult to find which is not true, there is a big board outside. reasonable food places around, convenience stores etc on 9th avenue.For indians, there are several small indian eateries pretty close. all in all, a decent stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ramr
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel offers you pretty much all you need if you're doing New York on a budget. Near-ish to 49th Street subway station and only 10 or so minutes walk from the excitement of 42nd street, it's in a good location, although slightly off the beaten tourist track. When walking around Hell's Kitchen, you do get a sense this is a New Yorker's part of New York, as opposed to tourist-ville.

Also, don't let the external appearance of the hotel trick you into thinking it's not a great place. It's quite a small building but inside the rooms are lovely. Spacious and bright, with great facilities, comfy beds and cable TV. Although it was lacking a phone.

I was staying in New York at the same time as my sister who was in the more upmarket Morgan Hudson hotel, but the room she was given for almost double the price of my room at 544 was a shoebox. Sure, it was nicely decorated, but it made me appreciate what a good deal Hotel Five44 was.

The staff are friendly, albeit not fantastic English speakers - my Spanish did come in useful when communicating with them, but that was the only complaint. There's also very fast free wifi, which I found extremely useful.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you're trying to keep costs down, and don't mind sacrificing some of the New York glitz and glamour for a good price. If not, then best look on 7th Avenue somewhere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Koffers
Reviewed March 7, 2013

So, before we went there was only one negative review I could find. I was quite concerned about staying here.

How wrong was I !!

It is what it is. A self catering apartment 5-10 minutes walk from Times Square. When we checked in Fernando welcomed us, gave us our key, wifi code and told us his room where we could contact him for anything.

The room... Beautifully decorated, 2 double beds (bit short so feet hang out a bit) satellite flat screen, dressing table, iron, iron board and hair dryer all there. Lovely spacious bathroom and a kitchen with all things you could need, oven with hobs, microwave, sink, pots, pans, cutlery and plates. We only used the fridge to store drinks in but was good to have the rest!

The rooms where cleaned daily during our 4 day visit, toilet paper replaced and beds made, fresh towels each day and bins emptied.

What more did we need from our trip?
We asked on the day we were returning home if there was somewhere we could store our luggage, and there was (free of charge) so we could spend the remainder of morning out and about without carrying luggage.

Location was fine, there is closer budget hotels such as the Pennsylvania (across from Madison square gardens) but rooms where old fashioned, charges for leaving luggage were $4 per person and charges to use wifi/Internet.

Overall delighted with the stay. It was used for sleeping and getting access to wifi so did the trick.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank Young-scots-couple
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It was a really nice room with a great little kitchenette. It is about 5 blocks from Time Square and in an area of town where construction is being done. If you are looking for a concierge and room service this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a clean place to lay your head after taking in the big apple, this is your spot. None of the frills, but worth the money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends