Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station
Ranked #122 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Friendly and professional staff, spacious and comfortable rooms, well managed and clean (the hotel opened only recently) at an affordable price and a very convenient location- walking distance from Penn station. A simple but pleasing breakfast is included in the room price, as is Wifi access.
Overall, a very pleasant stay, the best I had in NYC so far.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We used Penn Station for this NY city trip and this new hotel could not be better located. A two minute walk from the station. It's clean with very friendly staff. The roof garden bar offers a spectacular unobstructed view of the city. The rooms are comfortable, not large, but with a large screen TV. The bathroom shower was enormous! Breakfast buffet which is included in the room rate is great. Lots of reasonably healthy choices and some outdoor patio seating. We will be back.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

POSITIVE: Mark Thompson, Karen Heller, Rosa, the slim young man at the concierge desk, the electrician whose name I can´t remeber and the tall South American bell boy were really helpful, efficient and provided a great fast service whenever I had a special request. For example, there was noise in the bathroom and it felt very cold as if the AC was on there as well (this was due to the air extractor) and Mark immediately sent a very kind and professional electrician to disconnect it.
The rooms and bathrooms were always very clean. The space in the bedroom is neither big nor small, so we felt quite comfortable in them.

NEGATIVE: We had had a 24 hour journey when we finally arrived at the hotel and it was 3pm, which is check-in time. But unfortunately we were told that our room wasn´t ready yet. I would expect something like that at 1 or 2 pm but they (Allison) made me wait for half an hour while other guests who came after me were being checked in. The reason for this was supposedly that I had a special room (I just needed a fridge! and it had been booked almost 2 months earlier). There were other members of the staff at the front desk who were not as kind and helpful as you would expect in a Fairfield hotel.
The breakfast was very monotonous, always the same fruit, no bacon or fried eggs. It may be ok if you just stay there for a couple of days but for the ones who spend a week or more it gets very boring. We skipped breakfast a few days and went somewhere else to have something different.
The location is good but if you want to walk to places like Times Square, 5th Avenue...it´s a twenty minute walk.
In general, I had a pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AnjuD621
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My sister and I visited Manhatten in March 2013 and we stayed at this hotel. The location was perfect, since we were travelling by train. It was literally a half a block from Penn Station, so we didn't need to get any type of transportation. The room itself, of course, was very small but was well appointed. The lobby and breakfast area was really nice. It was, by far, the best Fairfield Inn that I had stayed in! Of course, the room was pricey, but at least I got to split the cost with my sister, so that made it acceptable for us. I did get an internet discount, which only included a king bed, but when we checked in, I asked if we could get two doubles, and they gladly accommodated us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DebMA16Jan
NYCPS1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

DebMA16Jan Thank you so much for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites Penn for your trip with your sister and for the fantastic review of our hotel. We are certainly ecstatic to read that you had a great stay and the Front Office staff was able to accommodate you with the room that you needed. We hope when your travel plans bring you back to NYC that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visited NYC the last Sunday in August! Loved the fact that this hotel is literally only steps away from Penn Station. As you leave Penn Station, take the 33rd Street exit and literally walk down the street. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

The hotel staff was great. They stored our luggage when we arrived (10:30am) and again upon check out the next day until our train left (2:30pm).

Staff was very courteous and the concierge desk was very helpful!

It was vey convenient that the subway was only steps away. We originally planned on staying at the Hampton Inn but am glad we chose this hotel.

The elevators are a bit slow. Perhaps management can address this issue as everyone seems to comment on the same problem.

Breakfast is typical Fairfield Inn. Would appreciate a little variety and perhaps gluten free cereal.

Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Had to ask for additional blankets and pillows, which the staff brought up within minutes. Very happy with the service!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kerrie B

kerrie001 thank you so much for the 5 star review and for taking the time to share your feedback. We agree that the location is perfect to the subway and Penn Station. Our staff certainly prides themselves on customer service so we are glad that were able to exceed your needs during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I arrived on Friday morning and they were very courteous and helpful. The room was ready, so I was able to leave my luggage and go down for breakfast.

Breakfast was good. It had fruit, cereal, juice, muffins, toast, bagels, scrambled and hard eggs, yoghurt, oatmeal -with delicious pecans, brown sugar and raisins to add to it. The area was big enough to accommodate a lot of people and still feel comfortable. It had an outside sitting area as well.

The room was clean and the bathroom was also impeccable.
There was no place to set your luggage without it being on the way. That would be the only drawback to the room.
It isn't a fancy hotel, it's just clean and convenient.

Arriving at Penn station, the hotel is only a block away -or less if you get out at the closest exit. Very conveniently located.

The concierge was not very knowledgeable. On Friday I asked about the tour buses, and the only option I got was Skyline -which I will review later (not a good option). On Sunday I asked what I could do, and he said there was nothing going on on Sundays because people rested. Nothing going on in NYC? (I crossed Brooklyn bridge, which was spectacular! and I went to Little Italy, since they have festivities going on for 10 days now in September).

The day I was leaving they stored the luggage until I was ready to go to the airport. Very helpful.

Most people were kind and the location was good. A good option if the price is right.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Psykiya
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here one night for business. It's brand new and extremely clean. It's a Fairfield property, so you're not going to get all the bells and whistles, but what you will get is a really nice room with good service. The free breakfast was a bit crazy (they could do with a bigger room) but the food was really good and fresh. The free internet worked great! I'd stay there again for a quick business stay.

Room Tip: Ask for high up so you don't get the street noise!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

maebyfunke thanks for the review of our hotel! We hope to welcome you back soon!