“No more managers reception”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East
Ranked #39 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed in this hotel this past winter the better part of 3.5 weeks while my husband was undergoing daily treatment at a nearby hospital . Returned for a quick 1 nite stay due to 2 days of Dr visits and tests . Our room was ready upon check in at 12noon. The bellman Sam remembered us and welcomed us back...All the staff are very nice .The breakfast is substantial including many healthy options.. The only negative I can think of is that they've done away with the managers evening reception ( light bites/ salad/ cheese and crackers )....even tho its still listed on their website

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank JoyceinNY
Justin E, Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Hello JoyceinNY-

Thank you for your five star review on TripAdvisor and for staying with us again at the Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown East.

I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate an early check in for you this stay and our service oriented team, specifically our bellman Sam, who welcomed you and your husband back to the hotel.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back. In the meantime, we remain at your service.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We planned this trip for my parents. It was their first time in NYC(my third time) and they flew all the way from Japan. Their first impression was good. The lobby was open, clean and they had fresh water (detoxed with lemons, cucumbers, etc) for customers. Our room was ready even though we arrived there early than our check in time. The room was clean, nice and spacious considering the fact that we were in NYC. My parents were so pleased and excited! The hotel rate also included a free breakfast which made it easier for us to start our day in New York. It was a buffet breakfast to please every member/any age group of the family. The staff at the breakfast area were hard-working and at the same time, they were all helpful to my parents who don't speak/understand English with warm attitude and big smile. What a way to start a day! Some customers complained about how busy and packed that area was, but it didn't bother us.

We booked for 6 days and 5 nights and the accident that almost injured my parents happened on the 4th night. We immediately informed the front desk and they sent 2 workers to our room. They said they couldn't do anything since the engineering went home for today, and told me to contact the front desk if there is any room available. The front clerk said they're all booked. At this point, none of the hotel staff asked us if we're OK, or any damage to our personal item. So we had to stay in damaged room for a night. Next morning, I contacted the front desk again and they're aware of what happened to us and our room, but again no apologies from any of them. It almost felt like I was talking to a robot or machine, not a person. They offered us to move to another room but since we already settled in for 4 nights with one more night to go, and especially my parents(70/72years old) being tired and old, they didn't want to pack and unpack everything all over again just for one night. So we declined their offer. They sent 3 engineers to our room to fix our damaged room, and it took them a couple of hours to finish but not completely finished. 2 engineers were the first staffs to apologize to us. One said " sorry for inconvenience " and the other said " sorry for taking so long to fix it."

The day we checked out, I was hoping for some kind of apology letter or word from the front desk or maybe a little discount on that damaged room. But nothing happened! We talked to the front manager and hotel manager, but AGAIN! NO APOLOGY!! They didn't want to give us a discount because we didn't take their offer, which was to move us to another room. In the end, manager gave us 10% discount on one night(the day of the accident). But during this whole conversation, I didn't feel any good customer service spirit from front desk staff. I wasn't mad....I was more sad because everything else about the hotel was fantastic, but was left with a bad note over the customer service provided by the front desk, which is what represents the integrity of the hotel. I really wanted to give this hotel 5 stars. I hope they learn better customer service and treat their customers.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Manbo10241973

Hello Manbo10241973

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown East.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed experience in New York City and at our hotel with many of our complimentary amenities such as cold infused water and daily hot breakfast. However I sincerely apologize for your concerns at the conclusion of your stay. We try our best to prevent anything from happening while our guests are in-house however as with life we unfortunately are unable to control everything. We strive to always exceed our guests expectations and ensure we not only apologize but provide appropriate compensation. Again I do express regret that you feel we fell short, and I hope that we have the privilege of accommodating you and your family in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is the second time I've stayed here. Central location just off of Lexington. Easy to get to the metro at either Grand Central Station or 51/52nd street; always felt safe. Nykia made sure there were welcome cupcakes to celebrate my sisters milestone birthday-- much appreciated.
The downside was the night the smoke alarm started to chirp, every minute, at 3:30 a.m. It took 30 minutes for someone to come up only to say engineering wouldn't be there until morning. They moved us to a new room. Management was very responsive the next day and comped us a half-night stay. Despite the frustration I would still stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street. The view is not good, but it is quiet. I've slept on both si...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TheProf06

Hello TheProf06-

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your second experience in New York City and specifically here at the Residence Inn. I apologize about your concerns with eh smoke alarm, we do our best to try and prevent these inconveniences from occurring unfortunately every so often one gets past us. However I am pleased to hear that my management team was able to rectify the situation.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We moved to the Residence Inn from another hotel. The previous hotel had a dark tiny room, virtually no closet, and a tiny bathroom. We were so pleased to walk into our room at the Residence Inn. It was bright, airy, a decent size, comfortable bed, nice bathroom, well air conditioned. The lobby and breakfast areas were inviting, nicely decorated, and welcoming. The breakfasts, which were included in the rate, were generous and varied...a real actual hot breakfast, not just some pastries and coffee. The staff was friendly and helpful. Subway was three blocks away, very convenient location. We would definitely return to this hotel. It was a breath of fresh air after our previous experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Thelmaandlouise-

We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience in New York City and specifically here at the Residence Inn after you moved from a previous hotel. We are fortunate with our spacious guest rooms even for Manhattan standards and our complimentary amenities including breakfast & Wi-Fi.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Great little hotel...loved the kitchenette, had a balcony which was refreshing in Manhattan. Room was pretty good size for a Manhattan hotel...Staff was pretty friendly. I'd stay again. Well priced and great location.

Room Tip: Rooms with a Balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Justin E, Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Hello CarlEdgar-

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in New York City and our spacious guest rooms and service oriented associates.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a good family hotel for tourists well located in the heart of Manhattan, close to many shops and restaurants. But some rooms on the back of the building overlook a sinister dark brick wall and terribly noisy air conditioning fans. Hard to sleep even with ear plugs. If you add the squeaking and slamming doors and shouting kids, better be deaf to enjoy reasonably comfortable rooms. For breakfast you also have a wide choice of junk food.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs rooms in the back of the building.

Hello MarcF1-

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in New York City and our centralized location. I sometimes wish we were able to control the sounds of the "city that never sleeps," unfortunately noise will always be present in Midtown. Acknowledging this, we do take the extra step of providing earplugs in all of our guestrooms to help alleviate some of the noise. We do provide a wide range of healthy options for breakfast including fresh cut fruit & low fat yogurt parfaits.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel. My first visit was in a studio suite for 3 days and this time I was in a huge suite. I actually loved both rooms and both were very quiet. The breakfast area is huge and the food was yummy. Lots of fresh fruit. There is a great grocery store 2 blocks away. The bell staff is very friendly and was great at helping me find a cab. I'm looking forward to my next NYC trip. Thank you for a great stay.

2  Thank MSRusso

Hello MSRusso-

Thank you for your wonderful five star review on TripAdvisor and for staying with us again at the Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown East.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in New York City and our central location.