“Excellent choice for families in midtown”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East
Ranked #38 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here in a large group - 3 families, including 3 young children 5 and under. We found the location excellent (very central/walkable and yet not too noisy). Service was very friendly and helpful, rooms impeccably clean and most surprising of all, the free breakfast buffet not only varied, but actually tasty :) So our stay was thoroughly enjoyable and the choice of the hotel made it very smooth. Would be happy to return whenever traveling with family again.

The only surprise was a $29 charge, posted a couple of days after departure, for a 10 minute phone call to Boston. Surprise in the sense that I have forgotten how outrageous hotel phone charges could be, but the rates were probably posted on the phone and it was my fault for not paying attention. Furthermore. when I called the hotel, they reversed the charge even though they were fully in the right to charge it. So, made me appreciate their hospitality even more.

1  Thank kasperdoggie
Justin E, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Hello kasperdoggie-

I want to thank you for your kind words of praise on our Residence Inn Manhattan/Midtown East. My team and I pride ourselves in the service we provide all of our guests and it is great to hear of your experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room & our great locaiton. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your in New York City.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

PROS:
- Great location, just blocks from Grand Central, subways, and Rockafellar Center
- Wonderful staff was always looking to help and responsive to our needs. The service sets this hotel apart from others: Peter at the front desk was very welcoming, and the manager Derrick was very attentive to our needs. The concierge Gloria(?) was knowledgeable and very kind.
- Breakfast was included and had a lot of options like waffles, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, and sandwiches
- free wifi
- Our room had a very nice kitchen, no oven though, and a really nice view of 48th street
- decent sized room with 2 queen beds, not typical Residence Inn size, but larger than what we have had in NYC before.

CONS:
- The breakfast was a little crowded, but the staff cleared seats quickly for us
- Housekeeping came late one day, but as soon as we called they came right up.
- We were on the 5th floor and could hear some noise from the street, but they had little earplugs in the rooms for us to use. Unfortunatly, no white noise machine, which would have helped.

Overall, the hotel is a great NYC addition. we stayed over Christmas, and the hotel seemed to be full. Yet the staff still went above and beyond to make us feel at home. We will be returning next year to NYC and we will make sure to visit the New York Residence Inn again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank soccermum78

Hello soccermum78-

I want to thank you for your kind words of praise on our Residence Inn Manhattan/Midtown East. My team and I pride ourselves in the service we provide all of our guests and it is great to hear of your experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room & our great locaiton. Thank you for the special assocaite shout outs! We look forward to seeing you again the next time your in New York City.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked this for a short (4 day, 3 night) Christmas in the City getaway. Had not been to the city in 15 years.

We arrived early on 12/26 and were able to select one of the available rooms or wait later for one on a higher floor. Many travel weary family wanted a room to recharge a bit, so we took 404. This is on the back side of the hotel with a small view of the top of the Chrysler building. You will see other buildings and construction on the lot behind the hotel. Work started at 7 but we were up then. If you need morning quiet from M-F, you won't get it. For us it was no big deal because we were up and going on Friday am early and there was no noise on the weekend.

We were surprised by how big the room was. Plenty of drawer space, the kitchenette was nice and the closet and safe were ample for what we needed. Very clean (I'm a check the bathroom, pull the covers back and check kind of girl).

Hotel staff could not have been nicer. Did not have an unpleasant interaction with any of them. On our last day, we left our bags checked and had a day on the city before returning and retrieving them. We were able to use the hotel car/ride to Penn station instead of a taxi (same price, cleaner, nicer car). We saw other hotels where luggage was just lined up in the lobby.

Ideal location for us! Easy access to subway, short walk to Rockefeller Center/5th Avenue. Lots of restaurants, coffee shops in the area. Relatively quiet compared to other places in the city.

Used the included breakfast. Everyone could find something they liked to eat. A good variety with oatmeal, cereal, eggs, potatoes, bacon, ham, pastries, bagels, etc. Decent coffee. We were up early most of our mornings and had no issues with seating or elevator waits. The last day (rainy) we slept in a bit and ate later (after 8:30). Definitely more crowded and had to wait a little for the elevator. When we left to go out for the day about an hour later, we did witness the lines and crowd in the breakfast area. Eat early or be prepared to wait and share. The staff in the breakfast area did a great job cleaning up behind the guests, especially the young man working there (Kamra? name tag was too small to read clearly). He never stopped moving and was so polite and pleasant- management - give him a raise!

Will definitely return to this hotel.

Two minor complaints:
turn down the heat in the common room/breakfast area.
put a schedule for the concierge. tried to visit a few times and to know the hours would have been nice.

Room Tip: rooms on back side might have view of Chrysler Building lower rooms = less wait for elevator
1  Thank Vasoccerchick

Hello Vasoccerchick-

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our family had a brief stay here this week. It was a great all around experience. The staff could not have been nicer We were greeted at the front desk by Sarah, who was extremely pleasant and helpful. She even remembered my name the next day at checkout! Everyone from the bellmen to the restaurant staff were warm and eager to help. The room was great as well. Everything was clean and new and there was a tremendous large screen TV! The location was perfect, a quiet side street yet very close to Rockefeller Plaza, St. Patrick's Cathedral, etc. We will definitely return to this hotel!

2  Thank al c

Hello al c-

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is incredibly noisy, even for mid-town Manhattan.

We had a south facing 'balcony' room on the 16th floor. It overlooks a construction site on 47th St, which is in the early stage of building. Between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., it sounded like they were erecting a building in our room!

Elevators are slow in the morning, mainly because half the hotel is ferrying breakfast foods back up to their rooms because there is no space to eat in the breakfast room.

For the next couple of years, until the construction is complete, I'd avoid this location like the plague!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Human44

Dear Human44-

Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Manhattan/Midtown East. Thank you also for your written review, however, I am so sorry to hear of your experience with the construction from the building behind our hotel, we are taking every precaution possible to reduce any inconvenience caused to our guests. Please accept my most sincere apology.

My entire team appreciates all feedback and I thank you for your comments so that necessary corrections can be made. Thank you again.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into my room at the Residence Inn. It was quite large even by normal standards and especially for NY standards. The complimentary breakfast had a huge selection and the staff was very attentive and helpful.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michelle C
Justin E, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Hello Michelle C-

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Found this hotel via trip advisor as was planning NYC vacay. It had great reviews & good rates so booked. I am so glad i did. Have stayed at a number of hotels in the city, & this is one of the best ones. It's super clean which is the biggest selling point, the staff are very friendly, rooms are comfy & you get free breakfast! I will definitely be back!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Justin E, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Hello NyakoMaBer-