“All you need for a stay in NYC”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East
Ranked #38 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Having stayed in many hotels in NYC have to say this comes out on top rooms are spacious and beds are super comfy the fitness centre was great .breakfast was always busy but well serviced always had what we needed hot coffee on offer all day long and internet was free the location was perfect 10 mins from time square 5 mins from a subway station and lots of shops and restraunts close by hope to be back here in the future

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank doddsy69
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hello doddysy69 -

I want to thank you for this written review on your stay at my Residence Inn by Marriott in New York City. To be on the top of your list of places to stay while in the city is certainly great, thank you! My entire team looks forward to be your host again the next time your travels bring you to Manhattan.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Clean, modern, perfect for short biz trip but I have seen several families here too. Kirsten and Maggie are super helpful. They have both taken time to help me out with several logistical issues. Having frig, free wi-fi and breakfast, and evening snack makes this a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Coffeeandview -

Thank you for your reveiw on your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan/Midtown East. Having the hot breakfast buffet, wireless internet, and fully-equipped kitchen in every guestroom sure does make traveling to Manhattan much easier. Thank you also for the shout-out on my team members. I will be sure to share your comments with them.

Thank you again!

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast was great, rooms were large and comfortable. Staff was friendly. Location was walkable to subway and Times Square. Recently remodeled so all accommodations are new, including microwave and refrigerator. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello David K -

Many thanks to you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at my Residence Inn by Marriott in Manhattan. It is great to hear you enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast buffet and spacious guestroom. My entire team looks forward to hosting you on your next trip to the Big Apple. Thank you again!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had a quick stay a few weeks ago, and just finished up an extended stay. First, the fact that I came back speaks volumes, as I won't if it isn't worth coming back to. First off, parking is a breeze because the lot is right across the street; no driving around 3 blocks after you think you've finally made it to your destination. Worth it right there, practically. The staff was very welcoming and check-in was a breeze; no problems with office paperwork. I ended up having to go to an unexpected meeting, and guest services made it very easy and was very pleasant about it. The room was great - small but not so small that a multi-night stay makes you feel claustrophobic. As all NYC rooms, it is creatively laid out so as to make sure you have kitchen/bedroom/work space that seems roomy even if it may not be. The slightly smaller than full size refrigerator/freezer with ice maker allowed for saving leftovers and cold drinks. And a single burner if you decided to heat something up (microwave too. Wireless was dependable; housekeeping terrific; plush bedding and towels with a walk-in shower. Manager Specials on Tuesday through Thursdays are nice, but being in NYC go out to one of the fantastic restaurants. There are restaurants ranging from diner/pizza to swanky. You can walk 3 blocks to 51st to pick up the subway, and Grand Central is 6 blocks the other way so public transportation is easily accessible. The doormen were always very attentive to comings and goings so I'm sure they would help you quickly if you want a cab. All in all I thought this was a pretty terrific place, and I've "favorited" it to stay whenever I have to do work in this part of the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Hello bcandctrips12 -

Let me thank you for taking the time for writing this great review of your recent stay at my Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown East. I am happy to hear of your experience from our parking option, guestroom size, location, and most of all our guest service we strive to provide all our guests. Most of all, it is great to be chosen to be on your 'favorite' list of places to stay in New York City. My entire team looks forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed over from June 30th to July 5th, booked two suites. Was a big celebration trip. Myself and my wife's anniversary. My mother in law's 50th birthday and brother in law's recent graduation. Previously stayed at the East Side Marriott just down on 49th and Lexington so we knew we would like the area.

Close enough to Times Square/theatre district, Fifth Ave shopping, Rockefeller Plaza without being right in the heart of all the madness of that all. And the green line 4 5 6 subway is close to the hotel to zoom up or down Manhattan as well. Closest stop is on 51st, three short blocks from the hotel.

We had a king suite, full kitchenette, range top, full sized fridge, freezer, microwave, sink, dishwasher, pots, pans, glasses/utensils for four(everything but an oven). The second king suite for the mother in law and brother in law had a fold out chair. Folded out to a single sized bed. Space is a premium in any NYC hotel so it's nice that some of the king suites offer the fold out chair. If you are familiar with Residence Inn's it's not a fold out sofa, but for one person the fold out chair is just fine. Both suites were on the seventh floor and never had an issue with street noise, but they do provide ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Alarm clock with ipod dock is on the nightstand.

Breakfast was awesome, yes they have the standard waffle machine that most Marriott's have. The buffet options changed out daily and with our five night stay we got to sample a lot, eggs florentine, bacon, Canadian bacon(or as we Canadians call it, sliced ham!), potato pancakes, hash browns with mixed peppers, scrambled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, toast, OJ, apple juice, milk. Get the picture yet? You won't walk away hungry. The hearth room was quite large too, some Residence Inn breakfast rooms are small are you fight for a spot some mornings. Never took advantage of any Manager toasts they have during the early evenings during the week.

Free internet was reliable and fast. New flat screen tv's were crisp in image. Nice large work desk and high back office chair if you are a road warrior in on business. In room safe was nice and large enough for our needs.

Our bathroom had a shower and tub combo, the mother in law's suite had a shower only, so different suites have different bathroom layouts. Paul Mitchell was the brand of shampoo/conditioner in the bathroom. Wife loved the hair dryer in the room, said it wasn't a cheap underpowered one you expect to find in a hotel. Iron/ironing board in room.

Staff was always helpful and quick with a smile and advice on things to see. Nice to see a dedicated concierge desk at a select service hotel brand, an added plus. Housekeeping was great. Oh and in the beginning of the review, it was a celebration trip? The hotel sent up a nice plate of goodies and balloons to both suites. It happened to be the night we were getting ready for a Broadway show so it was an extra night addition to the night. Little things like that make the difference for us.

1  Thank AskewView

Dear AskewView -

I want to thank you for this detailed review of your recent stay at my Residence Inn Manhattan/Midtown East. It is great to hear of your experience with the hotel accommodations and team members. As you know, our location is in Midtown East just blocks to 5th Avenue Shopping, Rockefeller Center, and so many more landmarks in New York City but just far enough East to not be in the thick of things.

The next time your travels bring you to Manhattan, my entire team hopes to be your home away from home. Thank you again!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The lobby area was well air conditioned but we had to manage to carry our own baggage up to our room which I have never experienced before!

The lifts were extremely hot and smelly and one out of the two was usually out of order and the lifts being so small could hardly fit anyone in at a time especially not people with bags. Meaning we had to walk up and down the stairs quite a lot. And the hallways stunk!
Our bedroom was clean and comfortable however the bathroom STUNK! Was like a damp smell.

So it began.. on our first night our air conditioning stopped working and I was sweating - that was the first night without sleep. In the morning we complained to reception and a lovely lady was sent up straight away - it was then fixed and had iced up (air con should not do this especially as they were all new units)
We went out for the day and came back that afternoon to find it was not working again so had the lady called back and she said the same thing had happened and would defrost it again but thought there was more than that.. anyway she went and that night it stopped again - I was fuming - me and my sister had two sleepless nights and I was unwell with tonsilitis (had to go to the local walk in doctors centre and get anti biotics) I was obviously so run down!

We got moved rooms on our third day - which was disruptive to say the least because we had to pack all our belongings back in our cases to move floors - and lugg our cases around alone AGAIN! this took half of one of our days as it was 2 hours for the lady to find out she couldnt fix the air con then packing and unpacking took a while as we had to make two trips to the room to collect everything.

As we got into the new room (exactly the same layout) the bathroom smelt worse and the floor had not been hoovered.I could not put anything in the drawers as they had a sticky substance stuck in them.I am not sure if the cleaners didn't know we had been moved but after sleeping in the room the next morning our room was not cleaned!!! Our kitchen was not fitted properly and the dishwasher would not shut if the door next to it was shut.

one thing i would like to point out is the corners of the tables/drawers/bed side tables are VERY sharp, they have cut off metal on them and i caught my arm on one - if you were to have a fall or had children in there they would be far too dangerous. This is not about being fussy it is a safety hazard!

It was also very dingey in the kitchen / lounge area so could do with more than one light in the kitchen!!

Breakfast was good however some people we unbelievable taking bags into the breakfast room or taking plates stacked up high with food and taking it up to their rooms. I was behind one man trying to toast my bread and he was piling bagels into his plastic supermarket bag - it was a good 3 minutes before i could even get to the toaster and my scrambled egg had then gone cold! I then found a hair in my egg!! ew!

Check out time was 1pm on our last day and we asked the lady at the reception if we could stay for 2 more hours as we had been so messed about on our stay and we wanted to stay only 2 hours longer because then we would be going off in the taxi to the airport. She said it would be $200 and we were very unhappy as there was clearly spare rooms.. we didn't even get an apology off anyone except the air con lady ( which wasn't her job to) for the disruption of our stay.

It wasn't too far from fifth avenue however we did get a taxi to the empire state building one night and the taxis were all reasonable.

Would like to say thank you to the lovely lady helping with our air con (cannot remember her name) she couldn't have been more helpful. And to Sam for organising our taxi on the last day he took our bags and they were put in the taxi for us.The reception staff were very helpful however did not appreciate the attitude of the lady when asking about the extended room stay.

2  Thank ProudBritish1

Dear ProudBritish1 -

Thank you for your written review, however, I am so sorry to hear of your experience. This is certainly not the service my team and I strive to provide. Please accept my sincere apology.

My team appreciates all feedback and I thank you for your comments so that necessary corrections can be made. Please contact me directly at ri.nycha.gm@marriott.com should you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We recently stayed for two nights and were very disappointed. This is the worst Residence Inn and Marriott brand experience ever. We normally receive surveys after stays at Marriott properties, but did not on this stay so feel compelled to write a review here given the bad experience.

Although the room was very large by New York standards with a comfortable bed and we were able to get a great rate, there were several problems. The bathroom had a foul smell that resembled vomit. When the housekeeping staff was called to investigate, they indicated that they could not find anything. The smell remained for the entire stay. After the first night, we came back to our room at 4:30PM to find our keys no longer worked and we had to return to the front desk to get new ones. We trekked back to our room only to find the room was never cleaned so late in the day!! We had to wait another hour for the room to be cleaned which was a huge inconvenience since we needed to get ready for our evening out.

The morning breakfast was a mess. We arrived downstairs just before 9AM on a weekend to discover most of the continental food items to be out-of-stock while the counters and tables were filthy. By comparison, the stocking, variety and cleanliness offered at the Residence Inn Times Square was far superior based on prior stays.

In addition, during both days there were fire alarms going off!! We had to walk down 14 flights of stairs for a false alarm the first day. Although the property is fairly new, you would expect such items to be fully tested and operational before opening.

The hotel is a very long walk to Times Square. The room windows are not well insulated as there was significant street noise even from the 14th floor.

This was also the first Marriott property in recent memory that did not call after we arrived to the room to ensure everything was satisfactory and found the same lack of customer service when calling the front desk to check out. Perhaps since this was a pre-paid rate, the hotel felt they had our money already and had no regard for our satisfaction as a result. This hotel is well below Marriott standards and we would not recommend staying there as there are many better Marriott options in Midtown.

4  Thank Shawn B
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan / Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Shawn B -

Thank you for being a loyal Marriott guest and for staying with us at my new Residence Inn Manhattan/Midtown East. Thank you also for your written review, however, I am so sorry to hear of your experience. This is certainly not the service my team and I strive to provide. Please accept my most sincere apology.

My entire team appreciates all feedback and I thank you for your comments so that necessary corrections can be made. Please contact me directly at ri.nycha.gm@marriott.com to discuss further.