“Almost Excellent in Every Way” 5 of 5 stars

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #40 of 479 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
United States
“Almost Excellent in Every Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This fairly new property provided an excellent stay. The staff was great, particularly Sam, the Bell Person. The rooms are super clean, as is the entire hotel. By New York standards, the rooms are more than spacious. We opted for a balcony room, which didn't look out onto much, but it was nice to be able to sit outside from time to time. The beds were super comfortable. The linens and towels were very nice. One suggestion would be that if they really want the towels used more than once, they need to install some towel racks! There wasn't a good place to put them in the tiny bathroom. The breakfast was good but on the weekend there were so many kids running around, we didn't even bother. The last night the air conditioning didn't work properly in the room, but overall it was a very nice experience. We'd absolutely consider staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EastBeachBum
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hello EastBeachBum -

Thank you so much for staying with us in Manhattan and for this review. A special thank you for the words of praise on our team member, Sam. I will be sure to share your comments with him.

We welcome you back the next time you find yourself in Manhattan!

Greg Dietl - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The staff was friendly. The bathroom was spacious. The room had a full size refrigerator and any necessary kitchen utensils. Breakfast was provided each morning. The gym was a little hard to get to, would have been better if I could have taken the stairs since the elevators sometimes took a while, but a perfectly adequate hotel gym.

Not much more I could I ask for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hello schoenle09 -

Let me thank you for staying with us at our new Residence Inn by Marriott in Manhattan. From our friendly staff to spacious guestrooms, it is great to hear of your experience. If you are ever back in the big apple, we would love to be your host. Thank you again!

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel in New York! Large rooms. Wonderful beds. Great little kitchen. Full breakfast each morning. Great staff actually friendly. Large window room 906 you could see the Empire State Building top. No bar but lots near by. This is a winner!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear seaislecity2011 -

Thank you for staying with us and most importantly for this review which is appreciated. Our new location does have some spacious guest suites in the heart of Midtown East Manhattan and some with terrific views as you experienced. Our trained staff would love to welcome you back the next time you travel to the big apple. Thank you again!

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel has been renovated/updated recently and we found the rooms to be well laid out and in great working order. Most importantly the bed was so comfortable, the room clean, the kitchenette was handy, and there are windows in the room which open! We used the concierge before we arrived to secure Ranges playoff tickets and for some of the bus tours and Lillian was so helpful in advance and the team at the front desk were excellent too when we arrived.The breakfast downstairs each morning was well laid out, with constant food being replenished and the selection did vary from one day to the next. As stated in other reviews the eggs are on the dry side, not sure why, just add salsa or ketchup. Or better yet, have the waffles, they were great. I will recommend this hotel to all those who like a quiet city location. City's do have noise and we live in one ourselves, yet we could sleep like babies with the windows open at the Residence Inn. If you are flying out of LGA this hotel is no more than a 20-30 taxi ride for early morning flights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diana D
Dear Diana D -

Let me thank you for choosing our brand new Residence Inn by Marriott for your recent visit to New York City. It is great to hear you enjoyed your spacious suite along with the hot breakfast buffet which is included.

If you are ever back in New York City, we hope to host you again! Thank you!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've traveled to NYC many times for business or pleasure over the past 40 years, and like many of the other reviewers here, have also experienced hotels both "good" (good seasonal prices, good value sometimes, convenient locations, etc.) and "bad" (cramped and noisy rooms, no storage space, postage stamp-sized bathrooms, etc.). By comparison, this recently-opened (February 2013) Residence Inn is EXCELLENT! My wife and I stayed here for about a week and have nothing but the highest praise for everyone and everything. Every staff person we met was exceptionally polite, knowledgeable and sincerely helpful. Wish we could remember specific names, but everyone we met there between April 27 and May 3 was absolutely professional and wonderful. The room itself was among the very best we've stayed in, while in Manhattan. For us, it had everything we needed (nice fully-equipped kitchenette, nice-sized bathroom, plenty of storage space, exceptionally comfortable bed, and very quiet). The location is superior! It's very convenient to everything in mid-town Manhattan; close to subway and bus stops, and yet far enough away from the craziness, like Times Square. I was able to use Marriott Rewards for our stay, but pricing is comparable to other hotels with similar amenities, and maybe even better when you consider a nice hot breakfast is included (by the way, the public breakfast area is huge!). We also liked other public spaces off the lobby, like the comfortable and separate meeting areas, lounging area, and public computer area. I/we HIGHLY RECOMMEND this property to anyone traveling to New York City for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: As mentioned by some other reviewers, even-numbered rooms located on the highest floors have slight...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheBrasilian
Hello TheBrasilian -

Thank you for staying with us and the great written review. We take pride in the service provided to all our guests and it is wonderful to hear of your experience. It is also great to hear your were able to enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast buffet each morning and our spacious lobby to relax.

We look forward to hosting you the next time your travels bring you to Manhattan!

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you haven't stayed in NYC before, you need to know that (as others have mentioned), space is at a premium. I have stayed at a very expensive hotel in the city as well as more modestly priced accommodations (such as the Residence Inn; at least it was moderate with my corporate discount, not sure what regular prices are) and in my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to shell out big bucks for a room in Manhattan. First, there is so much to do in the city that regardless of whether you're there on business or leisure, you'll likely not spend a ton of time in the room. Secondly, even the trendy luxury hotel I stayed at before had a tiny room (and no pool). What you should focus on instead is the location - and the Residence Inn is in a great spot in Midtown - a few minutes walk from Times Square and Rockefeller Center (but at the same time, not as crazy busy as those areas).

The room was fine - comfortable bed, nice shower, good Paul Mitchell toiletries. There's also a mini-kitchen - I wouldn't see the use of this except for a long-term stay and maybe not even then. There are just too many dining options right outside, but I guess it's still a nice-to-have. No way around it, rooms are still smaller than what you'll find elsewhere in the country. But again, this is New York.

Everyone was friendly, check-in was quick, and the doormen helped me find taxis.

I didn't have the complimentary breakfast since I was in search of my perfect NYC bagel (which I found at Ess-a-Bagel, just a 5-minute walk away), but I did take a look and it seemed nice. Standard hotel breakfast with breads, scrambled eggs, potatoes, etc., but also Belgian waffle makers, which are always a nice touch.

My one complaint is that the walls are paper thin. Not in terms of hearing city street noises, but in hearing everything down the hall. No one on the floor was being excessively loud, but I could still hear every conversation and every time a door opened and shut. Some good sound-proofing would be a good enhancement because if you are a light sleeper as I am, it may not be a difficult night's sleep.

I'd stay here again, I'd just ask if there's a quieter room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hello Sunny7777 -

Let me thank you for this review of your recent stay in our brand new Residence Inn by Marriott with its great Midtown East location in Manhattan. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We certainly hope to see you the next time you are in the big apple. Thank you again.

Dania Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

In my last trip to New York I stayed in the Residence Inn on 48th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues. It was the first time I was in this hotel. I really liked it. The entire personnel was very friendly. The room was very big – the shower was almost a walking closet –. I liked the fact that I had a refrigerator and a little kitchen. Breakfast was included in my rate and it was sufficient and with good variety. The location could not be better. I personally like to walk in New York, but there are several subway stations including Grand Central at walking distance from the hotel. The bed was very comfortable and I was very thankful that I was able to get a room in a higher floor so I didn't hear any noise. Residence Inn is not a luxury hotel. It is a practical one with more than the basics for a comfortable stay in New York.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TrudieA
Dear TrudieA -

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review on our brand new Residence Inn by Marriott in Midtown East. It is great to hear your comments on the team of associates here to provide your with great customer service along with mentioning the complimentary hot breakfast buffet and great location.

We hope to see you the next time your are visiting New York City! Thank you again.