“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #225 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We greeted by Richard on reception on arrival, a larger than life character who was a gem, very knowledgable and made us feel as ease immediately. Although we arrived early our room was available for us. The room was clean and well appointed. The hotels location was great, in a quieter neighbourhood not far from Times Square, the Sea Air and Space Museum and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Breakfast was excellent, a great supply and large selection. My advice would be to get to breakfast early (6.30) as the room is not huge. Altogether an excellent hotel which I would definitely visit again. all staff were friendly.
free wifi was a huge bonus and greatly appreciated

Room Tip: at the moment there is construction at the front of the hotel, so choose a room at the rear for a bi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sean c
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear sean c,

Thank you so much for the awesome review! I love the way you described Richard! It definitely fits him. He is great at what he does. I will make sure that he is recognized for his service to you! We are glad that the location was a great fit for you. Please visit us again when you return.

Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The service was outstanding, genuine customer service. Rooms are clean and fresh, small but it is Manhattan. Superfast wifi and sat TV!!! Breakfast was good and food was constantly being refilled/replaced. The breakfast area was somewhat crowded due to a high influx of tourist.

Kelley at the front desk really worked hard making sure our check-in and check-out was done right (we had five rooms). She is friendly and had a lot of patience.

Room Tip: room on the opposite side of the front entrance were quieter but this is Manhattan so noise is part...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank RJ A
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear RJ A,

Thank you so much for the terrific review. Thank you also for mentioning Kelley by name. I am glad that she provided you great service. We are very lucky to have her. I will make sure that she is recognized. We hope to see you for your next visit to New York City!

Vancouver
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights. The room was well appointed and the buffet breakfast was plentiful. The staff did their best to make our stay a pleasant one. The hotel is operating at full capacity most of the time.

The only downside was the slow elevators. We also found the location a little far to walk as it is not on a major bus route and at least 10 minutes away from the nearest subway station.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TequilaVancouver
Dear TequilaVancouver,

Thank you very much for the nice review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and found the staff to be friendly. They definitely have a passion for making sure that all guests have a great trip to NYC. We are happy that you noticed!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights while visiting the City and I have to stay this was a surprise gem of a hotel! Clean, Comfortable and a room size that is considered spacious in NYC we couldn't have asked for more. Staff were super friendly and helpful and there is free computer access for checking in and printing boarding cards etc. We didn't try breakfast but it seemed to go down well with other guests. Short walk to Times Square and as it is slap bang in the restaurant district of the city you won't be short of places to eat - would def recommend and stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarleyTauchert
Dear CarleyTauchert,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the great review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you would stay again. We appreciate the recommend! We hope to see you soon.

Nottingham
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our five night stay at this gem of a hotel just a ten minute stroll from Times Square or around six dollars in a cab for the less able. All the staff were most polite and extremely helpful throughout our stay. Our room was perfectly adequate in both size and facilities. Our bed was superb, as good as any we've slept in at four and even five star hotels. Our room was at the rear so we had no problems sleeping off the jet lag! Yes breakfast is a bit scramble for the late comers, but the selection is fine and I was lucky enough to savour the delicious cinnamon rolls on each morning of our stay. There are several good bars and diners nearby and I can recommend Gossip Irish Bar (49th and 9th) for a warm welcome and some tasty and hearty food. So despite the nearby construction works we really liked our stay in Hells Kitchen and will definitely pick this Holiday Inn Express on our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear amacdonald22,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that you will use us again when you return! We look forward it! Thank you for mentioning all of the positive attributes of the hotel and the area. I look forward to trying Gossip Irish Bar.

London
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have to be honest, this wasn't my first hotel of choice but, the place I usually stay at, were obviously too busy ramping their rates up to respond to my e-mail re booking with them!! This was a last minute trip so after doing a little bit of research on this site I booked and hoped for the best - I wasn't disappointed. The room was HUGE (I've payed twice as much and got far smaller rooms at other hotels in Manhattan) and, being on the 17th floor, the view was awesome. The bathroom is very small but, quite frankly, I'm not too bothered by that; the shower was good and there was a fully functioning loo - job done!! Location wise you are a couple of blocks from Columbus Circle and also 7th Ave subway stops so you're really a 10 minute walk from getting anywhere in the city. I didn't eat at the restaurant or bar so I can't comment there. The staff I did have contact with (front desk & baggage room) were excellent, they really did go out of their way to help in any way they could - and this is why I will now be using this hotel for all future trips to New York.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Asbury-NJ
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Asbury-NJ,

Thank you so much for the great review. We are so glad that you found us to be a delight. We are also glad that you will use us when you return. We look forward to your next visit.

Boston, MA
Reviewed April 26, 2014

As an IHG member, I have stayed in many Holiday inn locations. I picked this hotel partly as a result of other reviews and the hotel's location. I had one free night and payed for one night. The guest rooms and bathrooms are on the small side but not unusual for NYC. The staff was pleasant. We were warned that if we went to breakfast on the late side (9 AM) that it would be crowded and it was. If it is warm enough, there are many tables outside but with temperatures in the 40s, the breakfast room was just packed. I also must note that the one thing that I look forward to at a Holiday Inn Express breakfast in the cinnamon rolls. They are even featured on a sign on each table. Sadly however, there were no rolls available at either the 9 AM breakfast on the first day or our 6:30 breakfast on the second day. Disappointing!

The hotel is located on a primarily residential street. Our room was on the back side of the hotel so it was nice and quiet. There is a lot of construction on the street however so I am not sure how the front rooms fared. The construction made the sidewalks hard to navigate especially with luggage. I found hotel just a little too far from the subway for my needs. I would probably stay closer to the Theater District on my next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank travelbugMA12
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear travelbugMA12,

Thank you very much for the feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write the review. We are sorry to hear that you only found us to be average. I wish that you would try us again so that you could have an excellent stay!