“Fantastic Gem of a Hotel in NYC”

Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side
Ranked #228 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights while visiting the City and I have to stay this was a surprise gem of a hotel! Clean, Comfortable and a room size that is considered spacious in NYC we couldn't have asked for more. Staff were super friendly and helpful and there is free computer access for checking in and printing boarding cards etc. We didn't try breakfast but it seemed to go down well with other guests. Short walk to Times Square and as it is slap bang in the restaurant district of the city you won't be short of places to eat - would def recommend and stay again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CarleyTauchert
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear CarleyTauchert,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the great review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you would stay again. We appreciate the recommend! We hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our five night stay at this gem of a hotel just a ten minute stroll from Times Square or around six dollars in a cab for the less able. All the staff were most polite and extremely helpful throughout our stay. Our room was perfectly adequate in both size and facilities. Our bed was superb, as good as any we've slept in at four and even five star hotels. Our room was at the rear so we had no problems sleeping off the jet lag! Yes breakfast is a bit scramble for the late comers, but the selection is fine and I was lucky enough to savour the delicious cinnamon rolls on each morning of our stay. There are several good bars and diners nearby and I can recommend Gossip Irish Bar (49th and 9th) for a warm welcome and some tasty and hearty food. So despite the nearby construction works we really liked our stay in Hells Kitchen and will definitely pick this Holiday Inn Express on our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear amacdonald22,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that you will use us again when you return! We look forward it! Thank you for mentioning all of the positive attributes of the hotel and the area. I look forward to trying Gossip Irish Bar.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have to be honest, this wasn't my first hotel of choice but, the place I usually stay at, were obviously too busy ramping their rates up to respond to my e-mail re booking with them!! This was a last minute trip so after doing a little bit of research on this site I booked and hoped for the best - I wasn't disappointed. The room was HUGE (I've payed twice as much and got far smaller rooms at other hotels in Manhattan) and, being on the 17th floor, the view was awesome. The bathroom is very small but, quite frankly, I'm not too bothered by that; the shower was good and there was a fully functioning loo - job done!! Location wise you are a couple of blocks from Columbus Circle and also 7th Ave subway stops so you're really a 10 minute walk from getting anywhere in the city. I didn't eat at the restaurant or bar so I can't comment there. The staff I did have contact with (front desk & baggage room) were excellent, they really did go out of their way to help in any way they could - and this is why I will now be using this hotel for all future trips to New York.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Asbury-NJ
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Asbury-NJ,

Thank you so much for the great review. We are so glad that you found us to be a delight. We are also glad that you will use us when you return. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

As an IHG member, I have stayed in many Holiday inn locations. I picked this hotel partly as a result of other reviews and the hotel's location. I had one free night and payed for one night. The guest rooms and bathrooms are on the small side but not unusual for NYC. The staff was pleasant. We were warned that if we went to breakfast on the late side (9 AM) that it would be crowded and it was. If it is warm enough, there are many tables outside but with temperatures in the 40s, the breakfast room was just packed. I also must note that the one thing that I look forward to at a Holiday Inn Express breakfast in the cinnamon rolls. They are even featured on a sign on each table. Sadly however, there were no rolls available at either the 9 AM breakfast on the first day or our 6:30 breakfast on the second day. Disappointing!

The hotel is located on a primarily residential street. Our room was on the back side of the hotel so it was nice and quiet. There is a lot of construction on the street however so I am not sure how the front rooms fared. The construction made the sidewalks hard to navigate especially with luggage. I found hotel just a little too far from the subway for my needs. I would probably stay closer to the Theater District on my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank travelbugMA12
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear travelbugMA12,

Thank you very much for the feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write the review. We are sorry to hear that you only found us to be average. I wish that you would try us again so that you could have an excellent stay!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I enjoyed my 5 nights staying. The staff is willing to serve. Rooms are clean and comfortble. Good location in terms of transportation. Very much recomended.
Do try this hotel when ever you are in the big apple.
Aviva Haleva, Israel.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear halevaaviva,

Thank you so much for recommending us! We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciated the staff and the cleanliness. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

The staff are very polite, friendly and helpful. And if based on that alone I'd give 5 stars overall. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

However. I admit I'm light sleeper but you'd have to be knocked out to not wake up from the noise. There was an ice machine around the corner from our room that would make a loud crunching noise at the most ungodly hours throughout the night.

Secondly even though we were on the 9th floor we were unfortunate enough to be here during major major building works which include drilling hammering etc at the highest volume I've ever heard from 7am onwards.

In spite of this I would recommend this hotel if you could get away from the ice machine and all the building work has been done or they get double glazing!

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Sabrina_simone,

Thank you very much for the nice review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. We are sorry that you were bothered by the ice machine and the construction across the street, but we are happy that you thought the hotel was clean and that the service deserved 5 stars! We do hope that you will try us again the next time you are in New York City.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

When we were arrived we were immediately greeted by the friendliest staff which set the tone for our entire stay. They were super helpful and made suggestions on how to get to the places we want to see and where to eat. They assisted us to our room, which was small but incredibly clean!
That evening when we arrived back we were greeted by name by then staff, who asked us how our night was and if we needed anything. The next morning we went downstairs and were pleasantly surprised that our free breakfast was hot and delicious. We had a larger party and they secured us tables and moved them together for us.
The staff was very willing to go above and beyond to ensure you enjoy your stay, the rooms are clean and comfortable. It was overall a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear NellieG2002,

Thank you so much for the great review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you were able to experience top notch service from out team! I am also that that you enjoyed breakfast. We hope to see you back soon.