Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side
Ranked #222 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“One Night Stay”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Had a fantastic experience at this hotel. We felt most welcome from the time we entered the lobby. Great friendly staff, rooms extremely well presented and clean, all sports channels on the TV and a fantastic breakfast. Staff gave great advice and answered our questions before we even asked them. Location one block from Hells Kitchen restaurants was a real advantage too. Wished we had have stayed there longer......

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Steve V,

Thank you so much for the review! We wish that you were able to stay longer as well! We hope that you are able to return in the future. We are glad that you had a nice time!

Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 10, 2014

A good hotel with clean rooms and good beds. The have free wifi that unfortunately is unstable. However, when I complained, they provided me with a cable and I was up and running. The follow up of my complaint was very good, they called me back to tell me what happened and afterwards to check if everything was OK.

The breakfast is good, but it is a small breakfast room which is overcrowded all morning.

I would consider using it again for a good offer

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Freiro,

Thank you so much for the nice review. I am very sorry that you had a challenge with our internet. I am glad that we were able to resolve this to your satisfaction. I hope that you enjoyed your visit to New York City. We hope to see you are your next trip.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The hotel is in a perfect location. It is a short distance from Times Square and all other favourite New York City attractions. But, it is not in the middle of all the people and traffic which makes it a hotel that is perfect to relax in after a busy day touring the city. There was a variety of breakfast food and the counters were always stocked with food. The staff was very friendly too. The rooms, though they were on the small side, lacked no major amenity. The room was able to fit four people comfortably for three days. It was a great hotel and would definitely stay again on my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Vincent V,

Thank you so much for the awesome review. We are so happy that we were 'perfect' for you! We are also glad that you will stay with is again on your next trip. We look forward to that visit!

Augusta, Maine
Reviewed April 5, 2014

One of the good things about picking a hotel in New York City is that you have a huge array of options. If you're someone who has $500 a night to burn on an old classic hotel with a gigantic lobby and rooms the size of a basketball court, there are other places where you can do that. But for what I needed on this trip, it is hard to imagine a better value than what I got. For openers, by New York standards the price was very, very reasonable. The room, while quite small, had an exceptionally comfortable bed, was immaculately clean (well, the outside windows were kind of dirty, but this is Manhattan), had an excellent TV with a fine choice of channels, good water pressure and hot water and overall very well maintained. The public areas, including the stairs, were very clean as well. It is true that the breakfast area was crowded, but I never was unable to get a seat, and I enjoyed the cinnamon rolls others have mentioned. The location is interesting: it's farther from restaurants and the subway than other Manhattan hotels where I've stayed, but within a 10 minute walk, you have plenty of choices. What's more, the neighborhood is astonishingly quiet and restful for Manhattan, and felt much safer and in better shape than I remembered Hell's Kitchen being. I was concerned about staying west of 7th Avenue, but I need not have been--the neighborhood is just fine. It's also a fine location for a walk to see a show (I walked right up 48th to the Walter Kerr Theater) or the Intrepid Museum. So for these reasons alone, the hotel would rate a strong review from me.
What pushes it up to five circles was the service. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel *anywhere* that had service this good. Staff remembered that I was there to see an NIT basketball game with my alma mater Minnesota at Madison Square Garden, and asked me later how the game went. Several of them remembered who I was, including the excellent housekeeper Fabiola. When there was a small plumbing problem in my room, it was fixed within 15 minutes. The manager who you see in the comments after other reviews was a regular presence at breakfast, checking up on how people were. They also gave me a room upgrade when I let them know I was in the Holiday Inn guest card program.
I appreciate enthusiastic people who do a good job, whether it's in a hotel or somewhere else. This hotel has created a culture where the staff are committed to doing just that. I'd gladly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Badgerjim,

First of all, congrats to your Golden Gophers on their NIT Championship. What a great game! Thank you so much for writing the very detailed review! We are so glad that you had a 'terrific stay'. We enjoyed having you as our guest. Thank you also for recognizing Fabiola by name. I will make sure that she is recognized. She is a great asset to our team. I appreciate all of the other positive comments you have about the hotel. We hope that we see you again soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We had a very nice stay. Rooms are a little small, but it's not a problem in the city. We were central to every thing we wanted to see and visit. The staff was friendly and helpful. Even felt safe at night in the neighborhood.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Drew C,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! We hope that you visit again in the near future.

Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Family weekend in NYC, 6 people.
The hotel is located just a short walk from Times Square and is ideally placed.
The staff were all extremely friendly and could not be more helpful, giving good advise on taxis, public transport and places to eat.
Breakfast room gets abit crowded in the morning , but again the staff are really quick and helpful in clearing tables.
As a family we had a great time and would welcome the opportunity to saty there again

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul E
Dear Paul E,

Thank you very much for the review. We are very happy that you had a 'super weekend'! We are glad that you would choose us again. We hope that it is soon!

bangalore
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed for two weeks. As I was on business trip, I wanted to be close to Times Square & subway station (less than 1 km) . This was ideal in that way. The cleanliness of the premises is also maintained. They had a complimentary unlimited hot drink (in those sub zero temperatures) every afternoon and that is a really nice gesture. The breakfast though a limited spread is done nice and kept hot. The WiFi was good except for two days, when I asked for a wired connection (and they were prompt at helping me with this). The staff were courteous and helpful, including the house keeping. Being close to business district, grocery stores and restaurants are easy to find. I also found it to be safe to walk even late night. I had got a better deal from hotels.com site though when I enquired directly from the front desk, it was expensive. The room was tad bit small, but that's NY and space is expensive. (I have been to Singapore and HKG and lived in smaller rooms even at higher rates and bigger brands). Overall pretty happy about the stay.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better. Take a room with a view and you might end up looking at a cruise at the...