Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side
Ranked #221 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Relaxing”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Overall it was a calm and relaxing place. Serve breakfast in the morning. Not a great location the salvation army is infrot Except the workers their are very rude. Specially Jazmine very rude and demanding.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank krishap
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear krishap,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay except for the breakfast service. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that it can be addressed.

Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Rochester
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am a great believer that, if you express your needs clearly (and ahead of your stay) you are likely to have a great experience. This was the case this past week at our first stay at the NEW Holiday Inn Express on Manhattan's West Side. We will most certainly be back again! The staff here were earnestly and promptly happy to help as our needs evolved throughout our stay. Starting with Richard Bailey, who expertly handled all of our special requests before our arrival, and continuing on with supervisor Farrah Francois, and front desk supervisors Luis and Aniket, the staff truly embodied the phrase "service with a smile." Latch, in engineering, could not be more pleasant when correcting a small problem with our room. All responses to our questions and needs were swift, cheerful, helpful, and professional. Kudos to this great crew! It is often hard to "get things right" when a hotel first opens. The lead staff at this hotel work very hard to do so! For your reference, our trip was part business / part leisure.
The rooms, though small, are nicely designed and clean.

Room Tip: I would recommend a high floor, to avoid some of the usual traffic noise in NYC. Also, there is som...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Sandy E,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize some of our star team members. We are so lucky to have them! We are very happy that you were able to experience their service. We are also happy that the hotel was a good fit for you. We hope to see you back soon for business or leisure!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I too was nervous about checking in after reading some of the initial reviews. I chalked them up to it being a new hotel and I am glad I did. First and foremost, the staff was exceptional. Everybody (yes, everybody) was not only pleasant, but outright nice AND helpful...sometimes unusual in New York. Second, the location was good, but they can't do anything about that. The street is quiet so you might have to walk to 10th or 11th Aves to get a taxi. The walk to the subway isn't too bad, but the E only goes downtown. Very close to Restaurant Row and certainly walking distance to any of the B'way theaters/Times Sq etc.

I booked 2 rooms and arrived at noon. Both rooms were ready for check-in. Very nice. Yes, the rooms are small but comfortable. Comfy beds, nice pillows, great shower. The elevators can be slow especially at check out time. There is also a lot of employee activity on the elevators that takes precious usage away from guests. Unfortunately, there is no service elevator. The stairs are definitely an option and I used them frequently.

I took advantage of the location to secure a spot for the 4th fireworks. Left the hotel at 8:10 and walked to the Hudson and had a great spot by 8:20. The fireworks started at 9:30. I saw many people stream down to the river much earlier and I would be hard pressed to say they had a better view than I did. I was right by the USS Intrepid and the fireworks just overhead. No complaints. The room I was in did have a partial view of the fireworks according to my mom who stayed behind to watch from there.

Lots of restaurants, delis, nightlife etc all within walking distance. All in all, a great place. Oh, yeah...for now, you might want to avoid if you are one to take afternoon naps. Not sure why you would in NYC, but the construction on 48th St. can be noisy.

Room Tip: Stayed in 610 and I assume each X10 room is the same...decent view of city and Hudson. Also had 605...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bob D,

Thank you so much for the great feedback!! We are so glad that you experienced our exceptional service! We are also glad that you were able to get a nice view of the fireworks. Weren't they terrific? Thank you again for the comments. We hope you visit again soon.

Camden NY
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was a nightmare...I am a priority club member and have NEVER been so dissatisfied with a hotel. Before booking, I called to see if July 4 fireworks could be seen from hotel rooms and was assured that some rooms could accommodate that. So, I booked, a room facing the Hudson. Our train was on a lengthy delay so my daughter (who lives in the city) checked in for us to be sure we got the room. We got to the room to discover that not only were we not facing the Hudson but on the opposite end of the hotel. I was told no other rooms available.. In the morning, we went down to breakfast, returning to discover we were "locked out" of our room due to a malfunction. Back to the desk. New keys, back upstairs, keys didn't work. We did this FOUR TIMES, each time having to wait in very lengthy lines to even get to the desk. Finally, a mechanic was sent up to fix the door. Back down for new keys, back up to discover they didn't work. Long story short, we were locked out of our room until 230 pm. When the maid let us is, we discover the room hadn't even been cleaned. At that time, I got yet another set of keys, which didn't work. I called downstairs asking for a manager. Called again at 315 and demanded the manager who finally came up. I continued to be locked out of the room and had to check in at the desk to get into my room. So, I had a room I basically didn't utilize for the day, couldn't shower, missed meeting friends in Times Square. HORRIBLE. I have lost my faith in holiday inn chain. The only "compensation", HALF of the points I used will be returned and not a dime that I paid will be refunded. SUCKS!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank judgedeb1164
Dear Judgedeb1164,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. This is definitely not the service that we take pride in giving. I assure you that this is not a typical stay at a Holiday Inn Express. We do hope that you will try us again, and give us the chance to demonstrate this.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I booked this hotel before it opened and was a bit worried by the bad reviews I read before going on my holiday.
I must say that I was very pleased with the hotel. Yes, the room is small, but it is comfortable (as was the bed which had 2 different kinds of pillows) and well organized, and the bathroom is quite big. I can assure you I have stayed in rooms the same size for double the price in new York. It was also clean and the staff very polite and helpful at all times. The location is excellent for the price. Just a very short walk to times square etc. and we had no problems with the area. We always felt safe, even at night and hardly even noticed the Salvation Army offices.
The downsides were really minor; yes the elevator is slow! We did not try the breakfast because the breakfast room was overly crowded when we went there (but there are lots of places nearby to have a real American breakfast). Lastly, the construction site in front of the hotel is a problem if you are waking up after 7.00 a.m. (we weren't due to jet-lag!). In that case ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
I just think that at the price we paid it would be impossible to find another hotel in Manhattan with that location, that clean and with pleasing service. Will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. The construction site in front of it starts work at 7.00 a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Schioppettino,

Thank you for taking the time to write! We appreciate the nice feedback. We are happy that you recognized the value that we offer. We hope to see you in the near future.

Best,

Severna Park, Maryland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

They have worked the Opening Day kinks out! Original reviews cited many problems we didn't encounter. Check in was quick and cordial; they even offered us a loading pass so that we could leave our car on the street temporarily. Parking was about 2 blocks away, easy to find and was $30 per day - very low for New York. The hotel is new, well appointed, with comfy beds, small but adequate rooms, nice bathrooms, safe, fridge and coffee/tea maker. Breakfast was decent and filling but not gourmet. The staff was pleasant, helpful and aimed to please. Wifi code was given at check in and worked. There is also a computer for guest use to check in to flights. Location is good, close enough to Time Square, the restaurants of Hell's Kitchen, Subway and the Hudson River/Intrepid. Easy to get into and out of, close to the Lincoln Tunnel and the Hudson Parkway. Only problem was the elevator service - only two, quite small and often a wait. Choose a low floor so that you can use the stairs if you get the chance. Very little to complain about in this nice midtown reasonably priced hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a low floor so that you can use the stairs if you get the chance. Elevators are small and ver...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear ttm85,

Thank you for choosing us for your New York stay. We appreciate that you recognized the effort that we put into working out the kinks, and that you enjoyed your stay! We are also glad that you were able to experience some of the great food offerings in the Hell's Kitchen area while you were here. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The staff are very helpful and friendly.The breakfast space is a little bit cramp.The food is not bad and adequate.The surrounding of the hotel is not very pleasant.The room is clean but small.A little far from subway but centrally located in Manhattan.Easy walk to Time Square and Broadway.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Chalermpol S.,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valued feedback. We are glad that you received great service and that you enjoyed our location.

Thank you for choosing us. We hope to see you soon.