“Excellent place to stay for budget travelers!”

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West
Ranked #214 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We found the staff at the hotel super friendly and helpful. This was across the board, from the two guys at the front desk (Juan and Luis) to all of the housekeeping staff to the eating area staff, who in the midst of a chaotic breakfast did not mind replenishing different things that they had run out of... i would recommend getting a room away from the construction on 48th street (the construction started at 7am and was really loud) but after one night, we asked to have our room moved, and they were more than glad to do so. once we moved to the other side of the hotel, it was no problem. My only minor complaint about the hotel was the elevator, which was super slow at times when a lot of people were using it. We very much enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Drukey - I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that Juan / Luis were very accommodating. The hotel has really been trying and going through some major training over the last few weeks as we just opened a month ago; so I am happy it is paying off as you mention housekeeping was very good.

Once again do appreciate the nice comments and look forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to New York.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a brand new hotel that just opened a couple of months ago and is quite a good option for budget travelers.
It's location is still quite close to the heart of things. On W 48th and 10th, the hotel is perhaps a 10 min walk from Columbus Circle/Central Park and equally as far from Times Square.
The staff was so helpful to the point of flattery. I think they were trying to make a good impression for their new venture. (Note: good impression made)
The rooms are basic but well equipped, coming not only with a mini fridge but also a coffeee maker.
As with all Holiday Inn Expresses, breakfast is free, but it is, again, par quality. There are eggs, pancackes, sausages, bacon, etc, but the food is all super processed supermarket food--what you would expect from NY.
There is also a nice gym that is small but doesn't seem to be used much.
Overall, I suggest this place for the budget traveler who wants quality, a good price and a close location to the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank landonroussel

landonroussel - Thank you very much for taking the time to write a nice review about the hotel. Yes hotel just opened and to hear you were satisfied goes a long way. The team really enjoys to read that our guests leave happy and satisfied.

We hope you chose Holiday Inn Express Westside should your travels bring you back to New York.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I do not understand what expectations other people have? I mean, this is a hotel in manhattan with included breakfast for a very good price. This is our second day here of six and must say its been much better than people say. The staff at the front desk are so friendly. Especially Juan and Scott who took good care of us when we arrived. The breakfast is not top class, but its good. The rooms are a bit small, but clean and fresh! About the elevators.. Take the stairs if you are in a rush.. And whoever was complaining about scary and dirty drug addicts hanging around outside the hotel.. It is not true. What I've seen is staff at the salvation army standing outside their front door talking to each other. The location is good, 5 minutes walk from Times Square. If you want better, pay more.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Kribbe
Jeff S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Kribbe - Thank you for your kind words! I am glad not once but twice you stayed with us and both were pleasant stays. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We knew our flight arrived early in the morning, so we e-mailed the hotel a few days beforehand to request either an early check-in, or at least a confirmation that we could drop our luggage off once we arrived in the city. Unfortunately, the hotel did not respond. We did end up going to the hotel at around 9am, and were fortunate enough to find out our room was already prepared for us.
The hotel room was small, with the king sized bed taking up almost all of the room, but that was fine. The bathroom was a 3 piece with just a stand up shower. The shower was a bit too small, however. My girlfriend when showering hit the tap with her elbow which switched the water to hot which burned her.
The hotel staff was all very polite and helpful, however the housekeeping staff was a bit aggressive trying to clean the room the morning we were checking out. We wanted to have a relaxing morning and had the "do not disturb" sign on our door. Check out time was 11, but by 10:45 when we left our door was already knocked on 3 times to be cleaned. The hallways were also loud in the morning when other guests were leaving and yelling to each other from the hallway to their rooms.
We found the location to be a bit far from the subway. It's about a 15 minute walk to one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SPolden
Jeff S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

SPolden - Thank you very much for your review. I must apologize that we never responded to the few emails sent before your arrival. The hotel is under new ownership and the old email accounts were deactivated and then new ones activated. I am happy to report email is up and running for all future inquiries. Thank you for the nice comments about the staff being very friendly. The entire team is really trying and when something positive is mentioned everyone gleams from ear to ear.
In regards to the housekeeping team knocking on your door while you had a do not disturb sign on the doorknob plus noisy in the hallway. The Executive Housekeeper is aware of and already has spoken to the team. Still the growing pains of a hotel opened only three weeks but we are getting there!
Thank you again and look forward to you returning for another stay with us when in NYC.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Where to begin? In 20 years of travel I have NEVER been this disappointed and this is the first time that I have ever posted a review because I was so disappointing with the hotel experience.

You arrive to a hotel that has a Salvation Army with homeless people loitering around the front, the photo the hotel has put up on Trip Advisor are 3D model interpretations of the place - the front looks nothing like what is shown and trust me, you wouldn't want to hang out there even if they had the nice looking outdoor area.

Staff in the hotel have attitude and are not helpful. While there was a couple of them who actually appreciated guest (none at front desk) most of the staff have a real attitude and seem to hate having customers there. My favorite part was the act they put on when management is around only to turn back to their usual selves as soon as they disappeared.

The room was spacious but that's about where it ends. It was poorly finished and was obviously rushed, the TV didn't work and needed a technician to come and fix it. The carpets are already dirty and overall disappointing for a hotel that just opened. Images of rooms on this site are 3D models - so don't bother with them and wait for someone to upload some pictures.

While the air conditioning was noisy it was a pleasant occasional relief from the noise in this hotel. Doors bang VERY loud every time someone opens them, street noises are MUCH louder than other parts of New York and basically I didn't get any sleep while there.

Breakfast was like a pig farm where the animals are let to the trough. Food was always finished, poorly organized, short staffed and requests by guests to staff for more food were ignored along with accompanying eye rolls. Guests were clambering over each other to get a extra slice of bread.

House keeping is generally terrible as well - rooms have to be requested to be cleaned and even that sometimes doesn't guarantee that the room is made!

Management PLEASE MYSTERY STAY this hotel if you want to stay open!! Check in various people of different ethnicity and you'll realize what a problem you have!

While I sometimes have average stays this one actually made me angry enough to write this review.

Don't waste your money, you will hate your trip if you stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Martin J
Jeff S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you very much for you lengthy review of your recent stay with us. First our apologies it appears we failed from the moment you walked in to the moment you departed. The hotel just opened just two weeks ago and we have certainly gone through our share of growing pains. The staff have been working so hard to provide all our guests with exceptional service from check in to check out but from your review, we failed you.

It has certainly been a difficult road to recovery since opening just two weeks ago there have been allot of kinks to get out. I assure you we have made some amazing strides since our opening. I can only guess many of the guest related concerns you write about with staff could be staff trying harder to understand systems they are using rather than the service they tried to offer you. No excuses just what I am guessing. Please note though, our services have turned around completely. Our staff is continuing to master all systems and now offering the attention to detail you may have missed when you stayed with us recently.

In regards to the comment on the Salvation Army, this is not a homeless shelter but one of the main offices for them in the city. I assure you since and before opening the hotel, there has never been a concern. Our hotel is situated on a residential street ,a very nice street and there is no fear amongst the residents that live on the block and development continues.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope you try us again in the near future.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

First off, This Hotel is Not Organized at all... Absolutely Awful..
I booked 3 rooms here for a weekend get away for the Family and I. Check in is 3pm. My Sister arrives at 3:30 and waits to check in. I arrive at 4pm and still she was waiting in line.THE FRONT DESK WAS SOO SLOW AND SO NOT ORGANIZED.. EVERYONE HAD PROBLEMS CHECKING IN AND OUT!!! When I finally reach the counter, they inform me that the rooms are not ready. I had requested 3 doubles and close together because we have our teens with us. They then tell me that they can give me one room for now and the other rooms will be ready shortly. Frustrated now, I agreed and 11 of us went to a very small double room. Hey it's NYC the rooms run small.. okay.. Feeling cramped I took the kids around the city. An hour later I called the front desk because I have not received a call from them which they stated they would do..Yet the rooms were still not ready. I went back to the hotel and they gave us another double on a totally different floor...Then for the last room they stated the only one available now is a king bed room..Again on a totally different floor.. I no longer wanted to wait so I took it..
THE ROOMS are all new, very small though, One of the rooms the tv didn't work, The other room the toilet didn't flush, so had to move to a different room on a different floor.. THE ELEVATOR was extremely slow so we used the stairs. THE LOBBY BATHROOM required a key card to get in to and was a hotel room unfinished, and dirty.. Breakfast was Awful.. Completely packed and they Ran out of everything. AND NO CINNAMON ROLLS..I have stayed at 20 different Holiday Inns and they are Famous for these rolls..
THIS HOTEL IS LOCATED DIRECTLY ACROSS A DRUG REHAB.. VERY SCARY. ALOT OF MEN standing out front staring at you going in and out.. I give it a 2 stars for location though.. Couple blocks from the pier and Time Square.. ALL IN ALL A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS HOLIDAY INN.. IT DOES NOT LIVE UP TO THE HOLIDAY INN STANDARDS.. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED AND WILL RECONSIDER STAYING AT THE HOLIDAY INN CHAINS..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Toroidal
Jeff S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

First my sincere apologies to you. The hotel opened a week ago and the hotel staff is committed to making every guest experience the best it can be. Yes we failed during your visit and for that we apologize. I can assure you this experience is not indicative of how we intend to be and moving forward we continue to strive for excellence. Our location is in a beautiful area of Manhattan called Hells Kitchen. The block the hotel is situated on is filled with apartment buildings and yes across the street is the Salvation Army but not a drug rehab as mentioned. This is an office complex one of the main locations for the city.

Thank you for your comments as the only way we can improve is to receive comments like yours. I do hope you give us another try and understand the hotel and staff were under some growing pains only being opened less than two full weeks. Thank you again and hope you give us another try.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Hotel new it had just opened a few days prior. Front desk was very nice and eager to assist with our needs. Rooms very attractive with a refrigerator and the views from the 14 line high floor were very nice. Very busy hotel in breakfast was packed but they had everything in order eggs and bacon. First time i had stayed in a holiday Inn Express and enjoyed it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SaltyCL S

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is nice to hear your experience with us was positive from check in to the room accommodation. I am glad your first time with Holiday Inn Express was a positive one and look forward for many more returns.