New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hyatt Union Square New York
Ranked #98 of 475 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, UT
“Great location and very good service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights for work and was very impressed. I was upgraded to a very nice room with a huge terrace, had excellent service at check-in from Luis, and great communication both before and after my stay from Carlos and Jennifer.

The hotel is located about a block from Union Square which is a fun area. I normally stay in midtown, but this is a great break from the more frenetic pace of that area. Still lively, of course, just not quite as crazy.

The room itself was beautiful, I was in a suite so had plenty of room, a huge terrace with a table and a couple of lounge chairs, a big tv (that when turned off is actually a large mirror in the bedroom) with a lot of HD channels, and a great 2-person shower. The last time I stayed was in a much smaller room, but that was also nice, albeit quite a bit smaller. The bed was extremely comfortable and didn't hear a lot of outside noise either which made for a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was a bit slow in the morning, but the food was good and fresh.

Overall, an excellent stay and will definitely stay again the next time I find myself in NYC.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear JMac123,

Thank you for an excellent review. We truly appreciate you honest feedback. I am glad that you had a lovely and amazing stay. I am also pleased to hear that our staff has taken great care of you before, during and after your stay. It is of course the staff that make all of our success stories. I am glad to be part of one.

Absolutely, the location of the hotel is something to ponder as this becomes the hub of New York for all great things from Shopping, to social events and night-life all very close by. In regards to the room, we have managed to accompany all things modern and yet not compromised on the aesthetics of a beautiful, luxury hotel room.

I'll be sure to congratulate my staff on an exemplary service and surely let Carlos and Jennifer for the follow through on your stay.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming back to Hyatt Union Square.

chris.holbrook@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Hebrew first
old saybrook, ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Exemplary service and warm, friendly personnel made this hotel stay experience delightful. Victor M. remembered my name on the 2nd day I was there after only meeting me once. I thought that was awesome! I was always greeted upon leaving and arriving, The staff is young and eager to please. A small repair matter was attended to immediately and a note was left with the name of the person who fixed it.
The rooms are very smartly designed for typically small NYC spaces. The beds, bedding, towels and amenities are first class. Noise and light were completely blocked out for a good night's rest. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear jpz52,

Thank you so much for this amazing review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff here make the hotel look so effortless and welcoming in this bustling New York City. I am glad that you mentioned Victor as he is one of our rising stars at the front desk and I will be sure to congratulate him on his service.

It goes without saying that we would definitely love to see you in the near future and we hope to welcome you back soon enough. Thank you again for staying with us and let us know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Menlo Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I like this hotel a lot. My room was not (by any stretch) one of their flagship rooms, but it was beautifully designed comfortable and functional. Great modern bathroom, only thing missing was a comfortable chair and ottoman, which would not have fit in this floor plan. The rate plan I was on did not include free wifi, which is a bit of a pain. Free wifi in the very nice lobby area was available. Super friendly young staff with lots of appropriate tips on things to do and how to best navigate NYC. Everything within a block of the hotel (from Whole Foods to nice restaurants to great wine store). Free first-come-first-served bikes to use, which I did not, but one more day and I would have. Same with a new, clean, up-to-date fitness room.

Room Tip: I was in a light shaft room (see pic). Normally, I'd hate this. But it's NYC, and as light...
Green Features: Seemed fine to me. What I noticed most was the design of the room -- a re-manufactured wood floor was a nice alternative to std hotel carpet...All in all, good stuff.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Peter S,

Thank you for an amazing review. We are so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for painting a beautiful picture about our hotel and the neighborhood. We welcome all your feedback and will take into consideration some of your advice.

We do hope that you will return to us in the near future and we cannot wait to welcome you back to Hyatt Union Square.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt Union Square. There is a lot happening around Union Square! Not only is this hotel in an excellent location, but it is also super new, clean and the staff is friendly and willing to help. We had no problems with check-in or with other requests being satisfied quickly and correctly - you can request just about anything, to borrow or to purchase (bottle openers to shoe shine, a list is in the room). I'm getting to really like Hyatt.

Close by: Walgreens, Whole Foods, Starbucks, theatre, fantastic goth shop, largest costume shop I've seen, Saturday farmers' market (we bought some local art), Barnes & Noble, street meat (Halal Bros., voted best street meat in NYC, store is close by), Artichoke, Basille's Pizza, Best Buy, McD's, Dunkin Donuts... the list goes on. We took the Gray Line Bus tour a couple days, the stop is only a few blocks away (10-15 min walk). Subway - Uptown, Brooklyn, Bronx is all very close. Just about anything in Manhattan is a $5 - $15 cab fare away. The food in the lower and upper east side is excellent - no need to find a chain restaurant. This is a very cool area to make as a base camp for your NYC stay. We loved it.

My friend used the fitness centre and said it fit her needs, was good and new.

We didn't eat at the hotel, but had drinks prior to heading out at 'The Fourth'. Staff was friendly and service was quick and professional.

The mini fridge was full with mini-bar items on pressure sensors - there isn't room for your own stuff. Our friends didn't have or couldn't find their fridge.

There is rumor of a roof-top lounge, that sounds like a great place to hang out. Not open yet.

We made use of the free iced tea, apples and WiFi in the lobby. Not a bad place to hang out. I thought I could also see an outdoor patio from our room, but I never investigated. Our view from the room was of the between building space (where the patio is) - nothing more authentic NYC, I guess.

My wife complained about the lighting when getting ready for our nights out. She couldn't see to put on her make-up. There are only led lights in the ceiling.

Green Features: There are recycle bins in the rooms. We bought a ton of stuff at Macy's, I hope the shoe boxes, paper bags and other packaging got recycled!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Kier J,

I would like to thank you for this elaborate and wonderful review. You have definitely summarized the entire hotel and the Union Square area for most of our future guests. We at Hyatt Union Square are beyond excited and glad that you had an amazing time here at the hotel. Thank You!

Our staff has definitely put their A game here and deserve such accolades from guests such as yourself. It gives us the extra boost and provide even more memorable exeperiences for our future guests. And we do hope that you will come back and share another moment with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you or any questions regarding the hotel.

Clinton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great experience. Staff very friendly, accommodating, and plush facilities. As a boutique hotel, had maximized the space and the little details. Beds very comfy and plush. Shower roomy although the bath is a galley style. Fitness center state of the art and all types of fitness equipment to make a nice workout. Didn't use the restaurant, but had nice selection. Desk and door staff friendly and would try to get anything and more that you might need. Calm, and younger style but seemed just as happy to deal with us "baby boomers" as their age group. would Stay again. Small rooms, but with a king bed very well proportioned. Nice snack bar if you choose and turn down service. Thanks, and GREAT LOCATION at a fair price.

Room Tip: As for a quiet room, and also can choose a bath with a lighted mirror if women, or men need for make...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
Dear JSHankman,

Thank you for a great review. We are so grateful that you have enjoyed your stay with us and your feedback does shed some light about the experience you had with our staff. Yes, they are young and very ambitious in the field of hospitality and I'm glad you had the chance to interact with most of them.

I will definitely let them know about your review and will congratulate all of them in providing an excellent service to you and you family.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square. Please feel free to write to us if you have any questions.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The room is neat and tidy with very convenient to shopping area and museums. Modern decoration with very good restaurant 'The Fourth'. The managers of restaurant are very friendly and helpful. I spent 6 nights which were relaxing and my power recharged.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear TLung,

Thank you for this great review. We realy appreciate your feedback and I'm glad that your stay was relaxing and great at the same time.

We are very proud to have partnered with The Fourth and will pass on your compliments to the management team.

We would love for you to come back and experience another beautiful week with us. Thank you again for staying with us.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The team that work there for me show what other hotels need to do. Always smiling, available and helpful. A great stay and I'll be back. Great restaurant and bar choices too. Perfect location to get around too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank 322Darrona
Dear 322Darrona,

Thank you for your beautiful feedback. We are so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us. As you've mentioned our staff here are the backbone of this hotel and carry themselves with ease, flexibility and professionalism. It goes without saying that you had the opportunity to experience one such hospitality.

We do look forward to your return to Hyatt Union Square. And thank you once again for this review.