“Lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We came here for our wedding anniversary and were happy to have stayed here for 8 nights. Everyone was so friendly with us from the moment we walked in to the moment we left they were so nice and happy to chat. The reception smelt fantastic like cinnamon or something. We had a courtyard facing room - which was facing a building it wasn't a great view but it worked out better as it meant we had less noise from the street. The rooms are cleverly laid out as it was compact but we had enough space the bed was a great size and incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was very nice and clean with a fantastic shower. I loved the location as you are very close to a lot of restaurants, stores and the subway was very close.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamIT28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The Hyatt Union Square is a great hotel - clean, newer, and a location that can't be beat. The rooms are well appointed with very nice bathrooms, comfortable beds, and in my case, a really nice balcony (it's just too bad that it was too cold to use it). The Fourth restaurant next door also serves a great breakfast.

It's down the block from Union Square and is near to Whole Foods, several great restaurants, and most importantly the N, Q, R, L, 4, 5, and 6 Subway lines. Definitely a great option for NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChcgoMichael
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I was visiting someone in the city during the Thanksgiving weekend and we decided to stay at the Hyatt in Union Square. We had previously stayed in Hyatt Andez on Wall Street and the Hyatt in Midtown. After staying at all three of these locations, I feel I can accurately give each of these a fair review.

I arrived on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving earlier than the normal check in time. Not only was I greeted warmly, but I was given a room right away with no having to wait around. The downside, a heavy odor of vanilla or something that lingers in the main lobby that tends to drift into the restaurant which can interfere with the dining experience. When I got up to the room, the first thing I noticed that for the size of the room it was, the designer made the most of every little inch. It still had a somewhat spacious feeling for a room that would be my bedroom back home. I did not go crazy over the decor, but I know this Hyatt uses the designer of Paul Vega as a huge selling point.

After sleeping for the night and hanging out in the room these are the main things I noticed that were uncomfortable/disappointing/a nuisance:

We had a connecting door room and our neighbors did not respect that when in hotels you should respect people and keep voices down, so children were yelling and banging around at 6 in the morning.

We were also placed directly across from where the staff either loads/unloads carts or has services and was constantly banging around, which leads to my next point

The walls are EXTREMELY THIN. It is like when they redid the building they did not add any additional insulation, and this now rounds out the last major point

The windows LET IN EVERYTHING. I understand we are in the city. There are going to be noises, but when I am on the 10th floor and I can hear EVERYTHING that is going down on the street and when I get close to the window I can feel the cold leaking in, it's like the windows are only single-paned. I was using the desk by the window, the curtains were drawn shut, the heat was on, and I was wrapped in a blanket because I was freezing.

It really seems to me that the designer spent his budget on the design and not the functionality of the architecture or having a balance of both. So, I will make a pros and cons list for you to consider if you decide to stay here.

Pros:
Clean
Great Staff
Good location
Comfortable bed

Cons:
Thin walls
Thin windows
Small rooms
Beware of where the associate places are

Room Tip: Ask to be no where there is a connecting room and no where the staff goes at all during the day if y...
3 Thank ne_katja_girl
West London, UK
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in November 2013. The hotel is in a good location for exploring the City on foot and is surrounded by excellent cafes, The Strand Bookshop and Max Brenner's chocolate cafe and shop. There is an excellent pizza restuarant just down the road and the subway station (to get to mid-town or up-town) is a few minutes walk away. We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel as there wasn't much choice for vegetarians (mainly eggs and toast) so we ate in the coffee shop "Think Coffee" opposite. We did have dinner in the hotel once - the service and food were excellent in the Fourth Restaurant. The hotel rooms are modern and clean and comfortable. We had a courtyard room. After the first night we asked to move rooms as we were on a low floor overlooking the courtyard where there is a noisy air con/generator outside on the courtyard which is on 24/7. We moved to a higher floor and couldn't hear it then. The air con/heating in the rooms is very noisy so you can't sleep with it on. We left the heating on whilst out and switched it off when we were in the room. What really makes this hotel great is the staff who are so helpful and have a great customer service ethic. There is a gym in the basement but we didn't use that. There is a guest computer in reception and free wifi throughout. There are tea/coffeee making facilities in the room and robes and slippers, a safe, iron and ironing board, hairdrier and toiletries. We would stay at this hotel again - it is very good.

Room Tip: If you are booking a courtyard-facing room ask for a high floor to avoid the noise of the generator...
Saas-Fee, Switzerland
Reviewed November 23, 2013

excellent location, close to most attractive spots in nyc. very nice, helpful, well trained staff. well appointed designer rooms with large bed, fancy lamps, larg tv, tea or coffee making machine,
we were surprised that the hotel was not able to clean our bath rooms floor, after having asked 5 times, yes 5 times! the front desk, house keeping, chaimber maids we just gave up. We avoided to walk bare foot in the room. heating is very loud, so turn off at night.
breakfast was overpriced.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the street are quiet, it you wish to sleep well.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

First the good news .... Rooms are spotlessly clean; the decor is fresh and modern; the beds a good size and comfortable; space is at a premium but the designers have made the best use of it; the location is fantastic and the young staff are very friendly. The rooms fall a little short in two respects - the double glazing isn't the best so there is a reasonable amount of street noise and the air conditioning is both ferocious and noisy meaning you can't hope to sleep with it on with the result that it can get very warm overnight. On this basis I'd probably normally look to rate as a 4 however I think it's the little things that matter and here I think the hotel falls down slightly. When paying USD350 a night I don't expect to have to pay for wi-fi access (and rarely do in this city). Having asked whether a late check out would be available the price offered for a stay of an extra 3 hours was USD229 + taxes. Given that rooms are still being cleaned at this time I think such requests could be honoured without looking to impose such substantial charges. A request to please pop postcards in the mail with hotel post and add the charge to the bill resulted in directions to the post office - I've never before had a hotel not do this small service for me. These sound like minor gripes but this isn't a cheap hotel and they do impact the overall impression of the service offered. They could be easily addressed though and, if they are, I think the Hyatt would merit a firm rating of 'very good'.

Stayed November 2013
Danville, California
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The location is ideal to walk to restaurants and to get to the train. We're located in the north end of Greenwich Village by Union Square and have seen many of the sites easily by train and taxi,

The hotel staff at this hotel are very nice. The rooms are clean and there is a refrigerator and a coffee maker, but a microwave would have made it a little better.

The towels are soft and supple and the bed is divine.

I recommend you consider staying here if you are planning a sight seeing trip to NYC.

1 Thank Awareness-Hope-Cure