“Just say no.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Myers, Florida
“Just say no.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We recently made a 36 hr trip to NYC, travelled all day and arrived at the Hyatt, Union Square at midnight. At that time we were informed that the guests in the room we reserved ( to sleep 3) extended their stay. So sorry, you can go to another location uptown or we have 2 rooms available in different locations . Not only was this really disappointing news it was delivered with indifference, sneers and giggles. I all my years, I have never had this happen. The staff is extremely young and inexperienced. For the ensuing duration we stayed there, the check in staff and manager ignored us upon entering the hotel repeatedly. No eye contact, or "hey, Im really sorry about what happened"...nothing. I asked not to be charged for night #1, but a message left on my phone from the manager said they couldn't do that. I did receive a 50% comp for my stay, but in all sincereity, my family and I were extremely upset for the entire stay. Regarding the rooms... they are very small and very little walking space as the furniture in there is too large for the space. There was no where to put luggage, except on the floor by the door. No true closet and a reluctance from the housekeeping staff when I asked for a few extra towels. The beds are very hard and the mattresses very thin.Wow, all for $700/night. Unfortunately, it takes an awful experience to sit down and write this review. I have had some great stays all over the world since my last review, but didn't take the time to thank them on this forum. I apologize for that and I will do so. The really challenging thing in any industry is when things don't go as planned. True customer service is in how things are handled. I'm sure Mr or Mrs Hyatt would not approve.

Room Tip: I don't know
6 Thank leeislegal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Hebrew first
Hingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Hyatt in Union Square is in a great downtown location for a visit to NYC. It is a new hotel with high end linens, furniture and staff! The staff checking us in were very friendly and made the process go quickly and smoothly. The room was beautiful and squeaky clean. We were able to secure a good rate through booking.com; I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator;we could hear the elevator bell "pinging" early in t...
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

A friend and I shared a room on the 11th floor during a business trip. I really liked the location - I never stayed in Union Square before. There were a lot of restaurants in the area as well as an amazing café across the street called Think Coffee. We never ate at our hotel restaurant - it seemed overpriced for what they were offering. We went to Think Coffee every morning for great coffee and a heathy unprocessed breakfast. We were close to shopping, Soho, our work location, Chelsea market, the subway (had we wanted to take it), and about 20 minutes walk to the Highline.
We found the hotel staff to helpful and friendly including the ever smiling maintenance man, Jesus.
The room was not huge, but WHO goes to New York to sit in a hotel room? It was fine and the rooms are soundproofed so you don't hear your neighbours or too much outside noise. We were able to open the window slightly which was great for fresh air.
What I liked about the room was that the bed was really comfortable. The rooms were very clean and i am very picky. I like that the toilet (with its own air circulation) and shower were both separate from the sink area which makes getting ready in the morning more efficient. I wish there would have been more of a division between the room and sink besides just the large mirror. I would have liked an additional mirror on the other side of the bathroom mirror and more hooks in the room. I liked that there was a wooden floor and no carpet in the room. What I didn't like about the hotel was the heavy scent of room fragrance all over the hotel. It was a nice scent but too strong and made me nauseous if I sat in the lobby for too long. I didn't like that they charge daily for internet when most hotels include it. I also think they could afford to offer a breakfast buffet included in the price which makes it more convenient in the morning. We got a good deal on a different website which made our stay more affordable than the regular price.
Would I stay here again? You bet!

Green Features: Normally you have an option to keep your towel or exchange it for environmental reasons but this hotel always changed the towels daily. As mentioned you had the option of an open window instead of air conditioning which I liked.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 19magda88
FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We chose the Hyatt for two specific criteria, the availability of 2 queen beds and the location.
Our reservation was confirmed by phone and subsequent email.
We arrived at midnight and upon entering the lobby area it was as if we did not exist...no greeting, no acknowledgment, nada! When the twenty-something, newly minted NYU hotel management grad decided she would grace us by checking us in the first thing she tells us is we cant have the room we reserved because the guests extended their stay. Tough luck.
Then Mr Night Manager Could Care Less joins us and tells us we can have two rooms on the same floor. Oh Goodie, but our reservation was for a room with TWO QUEEN BEDS.
Bottom Line- This is a hotel with an arrogant, indifferent staff that makes the experience miserable. Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
Green Features: Green is only as good when it comes with a friendly, attentive staff.
8 Thank BonVivant57
Mission Viejo, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I am a Hyatt Gold Passport Member. I spent over $700 per night on an "alcove suite" which was a tiny, joke of a room at a ridiculous price. Service was bad and apologetic here. The place already looks tacky and dated. The W Union Square is a much better bet. Nothing is good about this hotel. Epic fail.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank CocoFranco
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Had never stayed here before but can only imagine that the hotel has been upgraded significantly since the remodel. Young, hip, small rooms. Staff very enthusiastic and helpful. GREAT location. The only downside was that the bathroom is more or less a part of the actual room itself (not a true divider), but the way they use the vanity helps to create separation. ACs need to be updated as well, but would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stumbled on this hotel during Freshman move in days at NYU. We decided to switch hotels the following weekend and have stayed at this hotel again on a recent trip to NYC for business. Its a great location, new and the staff are very helpful. Rooms can vary in size so be careful when booking. We ate in the restaurant this past visit and while we had to return a meal, the staff was very helpful and they did not charge us for the meal. It feels as if it is going through some growing pains of being a new hotel and training of its staff but I am confident that they will work out any bugs. A much needed hotel in this area!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business