“Not a typical Hyatt”

Hyatt Union Square New York
Ranked #113 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The staff was plentiful, enthusiastic, responsive and good problem-solvers. This is not the typical corporate Hyatt - going more for the boutique style of hotel. Small rooms. Quiet. Good location on Union Sq which puts you in the action when you step outside.

Adjoining restaurant, The Fourth, not part of the Hyatt, but convenient and excellent, interesting food.

Room Tip: I think the rooms at each level are all the same.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SusanVLosAngeles
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Union Square New York

Reviewed July 14, 2013

From the minute I walked into the lobby to check in, until the minute I checked out (on the TV), my experience at the Hyatt Union Square was EXCELLENT!!!!! Fast and easy checkin, courteous staff, great lobby, lounge, and restaurant, well sized and beautifully appointed rooms. The bed was INCREDIBLY comfortable- I did not want to get out of bed each morning for my meetings!!!! Love the touch lighting system, and bar amenities. Easy to adjust room temp, FANTASTIC blackout shades so that it, literally could have been bright sunshine outside at any time, but in my room it was dark dark dark.

GREAT location, hip neighborhood. Love love love this hotel!!!! I'LL BE BACK!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank OlyaJ
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Brand new property located in Union Square. Fantastic. Check-in smooth, quick and very courteous. Staffed by 20-something's but no sense smugness. Very kind and efficient.
Cool, hip bar and lounge off lobby in both directions. Pricey, but about as expected for new property and location(NYC AND Union Sq).
Rooms are very very small, even by NYC standards. Too small at this price point. However, they are well laid out with a king bed( yes, I know it takes up a lot of space) and new fixtures(flat screen etc...).
Bathroom: even small but shower is decent sized and shower head is angled(not directly over head) rain type. Very good pressure and nice(Bigelow?) amenities.
Details: never received newspaper that check-in asked me to choose(NY Times). No welcome amenity(perhaps not entitled. No big deal). Just down street from busy fire station. Very busy.
Overall, as mentioned a very well located hotel with a few quirks. Likely will return but might try Andaz on 41st as well.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samfelix
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel and frequently visit nyc for business and vacation. This hotel had attractive rates to promote it's opening just off union square great location. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff answered all my questions and didn't argue when I said the website deal had free in room wifi.

A few downsides - the hotel needs some finishing touches. The faucets on the sinks are so low you can barely get your hands in easily between the faucet and the sink. The toilet door didn't shut or lock... I told the staff at 8am and when I returned around 230pm not only was the issue unresolved but the room hadn't even been made up. Clearly some links yet to iron out of this otherwise excellent new Hyatt.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ashersteene
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just opened in April, hotel is nice and sparking new. Location is Union Square, nothing else needs to be said about that, its fabulous, steps away from everything. My breakdown:

Pros:
Sparkling rooms, firm to my comfort bed, hip interior, amazing views with our urbane sky room, very friendly staff, actually too friendly, prompt service - room service and a request for a toothbrush were lighting fast delivered. Very nice bar in lobby to grab a drink. I loved the hard wood floors in the room, sheets were nice and room was functional. Its small, but anything in NYC is.

Cons:
Poor layout, hallways not airy for full of light, they did turndown service at 5pm a little early I think, front door staff not helpful, they were not really there at all times, didnt help with luggage and seemed busy chatting with themselves. Sink is not deep, expect flooding. Bathroom toilet could use some more elbow space. A lot of the switches have neon lights that glow in the dark bright, so you never really get a fully dark room to sleep in, also the fiber cables behind the TV flicker on/off all night disrupting the already lack of darkness in the room at night. The air conditioner is horrible, never cold enough, kept on cicking on/off every 3 minutes, very loud, actually the street noise didnt bother me, but the AC is a no win. It bothered me enough that I wouldnt go back to this hotel if I needed to use the AC.

Other than that, reasonable price 250 + tax for a nights stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank PickE
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Union Sq last night & overall, had a pleasant stay. The hotel has some room for improvement. I had some good & weak points to mention, so I'll break down my review into pros/cons:

Pros:

- Alyssa at check in was amazing! She was very kind, gave me a lovely upgrade (room #901) & was cool, yet refined. Well done & thank you!
- Meagan from In Room Dining who delivered my breakfast was super- warm, efficient & very kind! The young guy who delivered my dinner was also really lovely- both were so nice!
- The shower is absolutely amazing! Perfect water pressure & very clean.
- The CO Bigelow bath products were lovely- I love the Lavender Peppermint scent...perfect for the summer.
- The location in Union Square is amazing- a very hip, cool neighborhood in downtown NYC. Near some amazing restaurants, lively street life, Whole Foods, Think Coffee, Union Sq park, etc.
- The lobby had a lovely smell & was very aesthetically pleasing.

Cons:

-Extremely Limited Room Service Menu- it's provided by the hotels restaurant, The Fourth, but the selection offered is very strange & not ideal for guests who are looking for more simple dining options for in room dining.
- The girl who checked me out on the morning of 7/5 was not very friendly at all. She hardly made eye contact, never asked me how my stay was, never offered assistance with luggage, & was borderline uninterested in her job. This was a Fail on all levels.
- The bed, while comfy, was way too heavy for the summer. A lighter comforter would have been really nice, but it was so late.
- My room was extremely bright, which would have been fine. However, it was extremely hot + humid outside & my room was very small, which was not ideal- I think this contributed to the room always feeling warm.
- The A/C was cool, but could have been much colder. I honestly felt like my room never was cold enough for me- just a personal preference.

Overall, if you want to stay in this part of New York, I think the hotel is an ideal choice. I think the W in Union Square is much better in terms of service, dining & is similar in price. I'm a fan of both Park Hyatt & Andaz, both under the Hyatt group. This was a bit of a let down, but I'm still happy I tried the hotel. In no way did I have a bad stay, just wanted to give some honest feedback.

Best,
Patrick Winkler

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank patrickwNewYork_NY
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The website advertises valet parking but there was no one to take my car & nowhere to stop so I had to go around the block (not easy in nyc). The valet told me it was cheaper to park in a garage & carry my bags inside so I did. Then I requested extra towels and an air conditioning check up and when I returned to my room at midnight-9 hours later- no towels and no one ever came to fix the AC so we were very hot all night.
The staff was very nice but since my issues were not properly addressed, I would consider them ineffective. I really wanted to like this hotel but I was so hot & sticky that I couldn't.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family