“Very nice and clean hotel with a nice breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South
Ranked #194 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay.The hotel was very clean and comfortable.The breafast was very good.Although the room was very small and difficult to move around in, we were impressed by the cleanliness. With AAA, we got a great price.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jaoname
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Guest;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to NYC. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we can't wait until you come back to see us again.

On behalf of all of us at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your future visit.

Regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The hotel is located just off Herald Square, 2 minutes from Macys, 5 minutes from Times Square one way, and 5 minutes to Empire State Building the other way. It is on a side street thats one-way so theres not much traffic passing through - although there is some construction going on down the street making noise during the day.

Fairly modern hotel, only a couple of years old by the looks of it - its not even built on Google Maps yet - so the reception and rooms were still in good condition.

Rooms were clean, not a bad size for NYC hotels, it had all the essentials you need, bathroom was tidy and had a safe.

Buffet style breakfast is included, but we only used in on the first day - it was a bit of a free-for-all, not enough seats, not much food crammed in a small area. All in all not a pleasant experience. There is a great deli just next door that does breakfasts, smoothies and sandwiches so we went there instead most days!

It was handy that they have a PC and printer for online checkins which was free to use - as was the phones in the room to call local numbers when we needed to book our airport pick up.

All in all, the hotel is nothing special, but i would probably think about staying there again if needed as the location was good and the facilities were enough for a few days in the centre. I've definitely read worst reviews on similarly priced hotels in NYC so I can recommend this one is more than adequate, touching on decent.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jonesg02

Regards,

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel around Christmas time. We truly enjoyed it. The location was great, rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly. We had no issues at the hotel and would definitely stay there again! I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear guest;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. We really appreciate the time you take out of your day to post this review and I would also like to thank you for your business.

Best regards,

Omar A.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

This hotel was really nice. The staff were really helpful, the room was a decent size, beds were comfy and it's very close to the subway. The free breakfast was adequate - often very busy but we were able to get seats every day or take our food up to our room. The staff were kind enough to store our luggage twice - once when we arrived too early to check in and again for the day we left as our flight wasn't until the evening.

My only complaint was the noise from the bar across the street and the garbage truck. We were on the second floor and were woken up a couple of times. You don't get the fantastic view on the second floor either, but it was a very busy weekend (March Madness) and I guess someone has to be on the lower floors! On the plus side, we never had to wait for the lift as we could just take the stairs.

Room Tip: Higher floors will probably have less noise, but you'll have to wait for one of two lifts!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank jennieclyro

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our new hotel. I'm extremely pleased you liked the hotel and it sounds like you had an awesome stay. Thanks for making the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square your choice for lodging while visiting in the NYC. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered concerning the noise from the Keg Room across the street from hotel. I have addressed this issue with the management staff at the Restaurant and we have seen an improvement.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to the NYC.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed here for three days and enjoyed my stay! Rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable. Great location - walking distance to Times Square and Rockefeller Plaza. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Would recommend!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Shannon K

Dear ShannonMadison_WI,

Thank you for your review. I truly appreciate you sharing your experience on your recent visit. And thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs. As you mentioned, one of the many benefits to staying at our property is the close distance to all of the great attractions in New York City.
On behalf of the entire TEAM at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to see you again soon!

Best,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed here at the end of March to beginning of April in 2014. The hotel seems very new and still very clean. The rooms were a little small, but about what we expected to find in New York in this price range. The beds were VERY comfortable, which we were not expecting but pleasantly surprised by. This hotel is very near the Herald Square subway stop and reasonably close to the Penn Station subway/train stops. We flew in to JFK and took the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) train, getting off at Penn Station. Then about a 10 minute walk later we were at the hotel, very easy to find. The free breakfast is about what you would expect, but hey, it's free! Free WiFi as well. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking 36th street if you can. We could hear music from the bar across the street u...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank areese12

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. As you mentioned, one of the many benefits to staying at our property is the close distance to all of the great attractions and public transportation New York City has to offer. Thank you for your feedback concerning the noise level from the Keg Room restaurant located across the street from the hotel. I have addressed this issue with the management staff at the restaurant and they are cooperating with us.

We truly appreciate your business and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

My family (wife and two daughters) and me stayed at this hotel on our first trip ever to New York. We were in New York to embark on a 8 day cruise. We arrived a day early so we could check out New York a bit before we left on the cruise. Not being to New York before, and researching the vast amount of hotels, I decided on this hotel. Given the large number of hotels in New York, I focussed on trying to get the right location for a little sight seeing and a quick trip to the harbour to get on our cruise. This hotel was located centrally and close lots of tourist areas ($5 cab ride to Times Square, etc.) Our drive to the cruise ship the following morning took about 15 minutes, given traffic. So if you are looking for a hotel with great location for your time in New York, I would recommend this one.

Now onto the hotel itself. We arrived and got temporary parking outfront to unload our luggage, etc. I entered and was impressed with a clean and modern lobby area. The front desk staff were professional. The check-in process was quick and easy. Doing my research on New York hotels, I had heard that everything was smaller as far as personal space (ie. hotel rooms). We did not find this to be a problem with this hotel, as the room size was pretty average in comparison to other hotels we have stayed at. It fit a family of 4 just fine. The room was clean and modern, and the bathroom had some nice ultra modern decor. I assumed that the hotel did not have many guests, as it was very quiet, and we had good sleep quality (ie. no doors opening and closing loudly, people talking in the hallways, etc) However the following morning I was surprised to see so many people at the complimentary hot breakfast, so my assumption that the hotel was not busy, was completely wrong. The complimentary breakfast was as good as any other breakfast I have had at any Holiday Inn Express. The dining area was clean, and had enough room so that everyone could get a table.

As in all of my reviews, I always try to give an unbiased opinion, and thus try point out a negative even if it is hard to find one. The only negative I could give for this hotel stay was regarding the front desk staff. By no means did this reflect on the hotel or our stay. I still give it a 5 out of 5, so it was only a minor issue, and maybe I am wrong to point it out. But with this being our first time in New York, I was not aware how the parking worked (ie. the hotel did not have its own parking garage), and just a few other things about New York, that someone who has never been before would not know to expect. I explained to the front desk staff that this was my first time in New York, and I felt a bit overwhelmed as far as where to park, where to eat, where is safe, etc. Just the general directions I needed, and I could figure out the rest myself. I am sure the front desk staff was busy, and I did not expect a "Welcome to New York" presentation from them, but if they could have taken just a couple extra minutes to explain a few things, it would have gone a very long way in easing some of my concerns. Like I said above, not a huge deal, and definetly does not change my 5 out of 5 review of this hotel. When I do return to New York, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Craig S
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear guest;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! We really appreciate the time you take out of your day to post this review and I would also like to thank you for your business.

Best regards,