“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #182 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Madison, WI
“Excellent stay!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three days and enjoyed my stay! Rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable. Great location - walking distance to Times Square and Rockefeller Plaza. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Would recommend!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon K
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear ShannonMadison_WI,

Thank you for your review. I truly appreciate you sharing your experience on your recent visit. And thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs. As you mentioned, one of the many benefits to staying at our property is the close distance to all of the great attractions in New York City.
On behalf of the entire TEAM at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to see you again soon!

Best,
Omar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
salt lake city
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed here at the end of March to beginning of April in 2014. The hotel seems very new and still very clean. The rooms were a little small, but about what we expected to find in New York in this price range. The beds were VERY comfortable, which we were not expecting but pleasantly surprised by. This hotel is very near the Herald Square subway stop and reasonably close to the Penn Station subway/train stops. We flew in to JFK and took the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) train, getting off at Penn Station. Then about a 10 minute walk later we were at the hotel, very easy to find. The free breakfast is about what you would expect, but hey, it's free! Free WiFi as well. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking 36th street if you can. We could hear music from the bar across the street u...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank areese12
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. As you mentioned, one of the many benefits to staying at our property is the close distance to all of the great attractions and public transportation New York City has to offer. Thank you for your feedback concerning the noise level from the Keg Room restaurant located across the street from the hotel. I have addressed this issue with the management staff at the restaurant and they are cooperating with us.

We truly appreciate your business and we hope to see you again soon!

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My family (wife and two daughters) and me stayed at this hotel on our first trip ever to New York. We were in New York to embark on a 8 day cruise. We arrived a day early so we could check out New York a bit before we left on the cruise. Not being to New York before, and researching the vast amount of hotels, I decided on this hotel. Given the large number of hotels in New York, I focussed on trying to get the right location for a little sight seeing and a quick trip to the harbour to get on our cruise. This hotel was located centrally and close lots of tourist areas ($5 cab ride to Times Square, etc.) Our drive to the cruise ship the following morning took about 15 minutes, given traffic. So if you are looking for a hotel with great location for your time in New York, I would recommend this one.

Now onto the hotel itself. We arrived and got temporary parking outfront to unload our luggage, etc. I entered and was impressed with a clean and modern lobby area. The front desk staff were professional. The check-in process was quick and easy. Doing my research on New York hotels, I had heard that everything was smaller as far as personal space (ie. hotel rooms). We did not find this to be a problem with this hotel, as the room size was pretty average in comparison to other hotels we have stayed at. It fit a family of 4 just fine. The room was clean and modern, and the bathroom had some nice ultra modern decor. I assumed that the hotel did not have many guests, as it was very quiet, and we had good sleep quality (ie. no doors opening and closing loudly, people talking in the hallways, etc) However the following morning I was surprised to see so many people at the complimentary hot breakfast, so my assumption that the hotel was not busy, was completely wrong. The complimentary breakfast was as good as any other breakfast I have had at any Holiday Inn Express. The dining area was clean, and had enough room so that everyone could get a table.

As in all of my reviews, I always try to give an unbiased opinion, and thus try point out a negative even if it is hard to find one. The only negative I could give for this hotel stay was regarding the front desk staff. By no means did this reflect on the hotel or our stay. I still give it a 5 out of 5, so it was only a minor issue, and maybe I am wrong to point it out. But with this being our first time in New York, I was not aware how the parking worked (ie. the hotel did not have its own parking garage), and just a few other things about New York, that someone who has never been before would not know to expect. I explained to the front desk staff that this was my first time in New York, and I felt a bit overwhelmed as far as where to park, where to eat, where is safe, etc. Just the general directions I needed, and I could figure out the rest myself. I am sure the front desk staff was busy, and I did not expect a "Welcome to New York" presentation from them, but if they could have taken just a couple extra minutes to explain a few things, it would have gone a very long way in easing some of my concerns. Like I said above, not a huge deal, and definetly does not change my 5 out of 5 review of this hotel. When I do return to New York, I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Craig S
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear guest;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! We really appreciate the time you take out of your day to post this review and I would also like to thank you for your business.

On behalf of all of us at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your future visit.

Best regards,

Omar A.
USA
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We were traveling as a group and stayed for one week and loved it! The location was very convenient and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. The beds were extremely comfy, with plush linens and lots of pillows. It sometimes took a while to catch an elevator going down, but that is a minor issue. What really made this hotel stand out was the staff, especially everyone at the front desk. They could not have been more helpful, professional, and courteous, even when dealing with a sometimes demanding group. If you're looking for a good value close to the subway, restaurants, and sights, this is it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank profs
Dear guest;

Thank you very much for staying with us during your recent visit to NYC. We appreciate your kind words about the staff, location and our amenities. As you mentioned, we are a brand new hotel, in a terrific location with easy access to many of New York City's finest attractions.

Best regards,

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I really have no complaints about this hotel!

Great location (close to subway stops, Herald Square, lots of shops on W 34th Street, plenty of places to eat, and walking distance from Times Square, Empire State Building, New York Public Library, etc). Extremely friendly and helpful staff who always asked you how your day had been when you came back in the evening. Free WiFi that worked well at all times. The room was small, but had a wall entirely of windows which let a lot of light in. I could just see the top of the Empire State Building from my room (on the 9th floor). The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a selection of soft or hard pillows which was lovely. The complimentary buffet breakfast was great - they had a great selection of foods and I never had any trouble getting a table.

My only complaint was that on three or four occasions over my week-long stay, both of my room cards would mysteriously stop working, which was very frustrating when coming back to the room after a long day. As the elevators were quite slow, it was sometimes a 10 minute expedition catching the elevator back down, getting my cards fixed, and catching the elevator back up. However, the staff were always pleasant and did this for me with no issues.

Would definitely recommend this hotel - great value for money in an expensive city!

Room Tip: I'd recommend a room on a higher floor, I'm guessing the views would be much better!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Bella F
Dear guest;

Thank you for your feedback. . And thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs. We would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations.

Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Fantastic stay here...super friendly ...awesome Location ..comfy beds...nice linens ..great breakfast.....free internet....fast Elevators...good fitness equipment. Coffee Tea and cold water available 24/7. Staff always ready to give directions...really good deli next door and shopping around the corner...subway around the corner...times square a few streets over. for the price ...loved it..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Deborah G
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Every member of the staff is very helpful.. Great location for the price! We aren't much walkers but we walked everywhere including Macy's & Times Square from the hotel everyday over our weekend stay. Rooms were somewhat small but clean and quiet. Great shower, comfortable bed and strong wifi. You get a discount at nearby parking garage for staying i think its $35 a day instead of $45. Would definitely stay again

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple