“Great Location, Atmosphere and Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South
Ranked #167 of 467 Hotels in New York City
São Paulo
“Great Location, Atmosphere and Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel for a week vacation with my family.
The hotel is brand new, very well located and with a cozy atmosphere and modern architecture.
They offer complimentary WiFi and a very nice Breakfast.
For me the highlight was the staff: James (concierge), Turker (front desk Manager), Kevin and Patrick (night shift). Unfortunately I can´t remember the others name, but they were all outstanding. There was a lady in the breakfast room that I on my first day I asked for some cream to put on my coffee; after that every time that she saw me she used to bring the cream.
I can´t wait to go back to NYC and stay in this property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ReFarha
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the great review and kind words. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. We pride ourselves on the great guest service we provide. I will be sure to pass along to James, Turker, Kevin, Patrick and the rest of the staff all the nice things you mentioned.
Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to the NYC.

Omar Aquino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Had 2 nights here after cruise. Great location, dead handy for Times Square, Rockafeller, Macy's. Liked the Garment Area, did not at any time feel unsafe. Hotel is very good, we were on the 9th floor with a view of the street, which was noisy so if you are a light sleeper maybe request a rear view room as there is not much of a view anyway, an ugly street of apartments/offices/factories with folk looking in if you do not close your curtains. Room was very nice and new, really clean, modern and had possibly the most comfy beds I've ever slept in on vacation. Good bathroom, no tub, good shower. Breakfast was good and replenished by 2 hardworking staff members. Front desk staff were extremely helpful, from the minute we arrived they tagged our suitcases and stored them securely enabling us to enjoy the full day. They went out of their way to help us print off our boarding passes as we had a problem with the computer in the little business area. I would totally recommend this hotel and would like to thank the staff for exceptional service. 5*

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms are maybe quieter?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank readbe4ugo
Dear Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with us! It’s great to see you enjoyed our location and amenities and we hope you and your guest had a memorable experience.

Thank you again for staying with us! We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Best regards,
Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I were forced to stay in NYC for a night enroute to the Mid West and decided to stay at the Herald Square location. The location of the hotel is simply outstanding! With 6th Street round the corner and Times Square just a few minutes walk away you are immediately in the thick of downtown buzz of NYC life. It is a new brand new property, something that attracted us to stay there.
The staff are by and large good, but not outstanding by any means. On the plus side, James at the Concierge went out of his way to provide lots of help and information as we wanted to walk our way around important places by foot. Of the Reception staff Logan was courteous but not all were like him. I say that because the on the night we checked in, my wife asked for a complimentary shower cap and because the room phone gave out a constant engaged tone, I had to go down personally and ask a lady at Reception and she said it would ne sent to the room asap. No apology for the malfunctioning phone! The shower cap never came, we slept and got up in the morning when I brought this to the attention of staff at Reception. Lauren told me they could send a shower cap up there and then. I told them this was no good to me as we were all ready by then.
The most annoying aspect of staff was the the lack lustre attitude of some the breakfast room staff. WIth food fast running out, I saw a couple of them just standing around chatting and waiting for guests to ask them for milk, eggs etc. Only one staff member seemed to be working non stop. On checking in, a most annoying Reception staff by the name of Rob served us. Waiting behind other guests he made a two fingered ushering gesture at me that I was seriously irritated about. What's wrong with a simple, "Can I help you Sir?" His manner was brusque, verging on rudeness. It just put me off. Maybe some training in good manners might not go amiss.
If you want location, clinically clean rooms with an excellent bathroom, good King size bed and a very competitive NYC rate, this is the place to come to me. I saw lots of families with children and all seemed to happy to me there.

Room Tip: Check out the fitness centre in the basement, its not all that obvious to find at first.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nimapolice7
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad our location was convenient for your needs and that James and Logan went out of their way to ensure you had an enjoyable stay. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort with the service provided by Robert and Lauren and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this. I have taken note of your comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Omar Aquino
Sugar Land
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Agree- great location (Times Square was walkable even with kids and there is a McDonalds around the corner for picky ones) great staff, good value breakfast (all items were refilled quickly). Our room (1408) had a view of the Empire State Building - fell asleep looking at it! I worried the elevators would be slow but they were very efficient.

Room Tip: 1408 - although the view of the back of the building across the way was not so good ; we also had a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Mommasays;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! As you mentioned, our great location puts you in the center of everything in Manhattan.

I truly appreciate the terrific feedback and I will make sure to share your comments with the team. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to New York City.

On behalf of all of us at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your future visit.

connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the Memorial Day weekend and it did not disappoint. The hotel is brand-spanking new and offers great prices with a hot breakfast. The staff is very accommodating and friendly and helped us out when our keys failed to work twice in two days. The room wasn't ready when we arrived, but the desk clerk offered us an upgrade to a higher floor with a spectacular view of the Empire State Building. The location is central and walkable to shopping, subway stations, Times Square, Rock Center, or just about anywhere you want to go in the city! It is a short walk from Grand Central Terminal, too. There is a work-out room downstairs in the basement and free access to computers and a printer in the lobby. I definitely plan on staying here again as long as the prices stay as low as they were this weekend!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dede48;

Thank you very much for staying with us during your recent visit to NYC. We appreciate your kind words about the staff, breakfast, location and our amenities. As you mentioned, we are a brand new hotel, in a terrific location with easy access to many of New York City's finest attractions.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is in a great location in Manhattan. I was able to walk to many popular tourist spots including Times Square, Central Park, MOMA, and Rockefeller Center. There are at least two subway stations near the hotel if you want to travel to sites farther away.

My room was on the 19th floor with a view of the Empire State Building. The room was small which is to be expected in New York but very clean. The bathroom had a shower stall (no bathtub), toilet, and sink with a small area above and underneath for storing toiletries and towels. There was a king bed in my room, a desk with chair, two nightstands, a chest of drawers, and an armoire which contained hangers, luggage rack, iron, and ironing board. There was a large flat screen TV on the wall. There were plenty of outlets available to charge your laptop, phone, etc. Free wifi is available but there are computers and a printer in the lobby if you choose to use them instead of bringing your laptop.

The hotel was full each night that I stayed there. There are only two elevators as others have mentioned. At certain times of the day, there can be at least a five minute wait for an elevator. If you are staying on a lower floor, the stairs are an option.

Breakfast was served each day from 6:30am-9:30am. There was a large selection of breakfast foods and beverages to choose from. There was a station to make your own pancakes. There was also fresh fruit, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, bread, pre-made omelets, scrambled eggs, juice, milk, cereal ,coffee, and tea. The food was plentiful and constantly replenished.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful to me from check-in to check-out. Any question I had or request that I made was responded to quickly and with a smile. I plan to stay here each time that I visit New York City in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rngonetraveling
Dear rngonetraveling;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to NYC. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we can't wait until you come back to see us again. I will make sure to pass along your kind words to my team.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've just spent four days working in NYC and my client booked me at the Holiday Inn Express near Herald Square. Besides being a super fresh hotel, unlike most of the hotels in the US nowadays, we had a wonderful varied breakfast and complimentary internet included. The rooms were a perfect size and the pillows and sheets super comfortable.
The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful and always had a smile on their faces when we left or arrived at the hotel. In all my years of hotels in NY, this was by far the most rewarding experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Juliewolf
Dear Juliewolf;

Thank you for your giving us a "Nice Review"! We're delighted you found our new property, the location, also the products and services suitable for your business trip! We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your time. I will make sure to pass along your kind words to my team.